1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Judo Sensei Passed Away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 28, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you all for your support. I’m less angry about it now than I am disappointed to hear something so low from someone who I have known for years, met in person and have even defended before.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think there’s a difference between discussing critically a known public figure who none of us here have a personal relationship with versus going after someone you don’t know and who was like family just because you disagree.

Yung-T, jiggyfly, Nook and 3 others like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You're absolutely right.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

My condolences. He sounds like a remarkable person.

Buck Turgidson and rocketsjudoka like this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Incredible lack of basic human decency.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not cool man.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is a really weird comment and I feel like it's some obscure reference to a 1980's movie that really missed the mark.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

And FFB goes off on people not mourning the queen after her death.

Yung-T, jiggyfly and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

"What? You can't lump us in with that f***ing Martian."
    "Our shenanigans are cheeky and fun."
    "Yeah, I mean, his shenanigans are cruel and tragic."
    "Which makes them not shenanigans at all, really."

Squirtle and VooDooPope like this.
  10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

People do change. Although everything I've heard from people that know FFB / Roscoe, say he's a douche. But your response was very classy and much more dignified than anything I would have mustered.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well I had told judoka that Fatty is one of these people that really is the same in real life as he is on the board. I met him almost 20 years ago at a Rockets get together and he was cordial, dare I say charming, but then I made the mistake of becoming friends with him on Facebook (and for the record, I was on myspace but not for long and I am pretty sure that I was never friends with anyone from clutchfans there). He insulted one of my cousins from England over, yup you guessed it, a spelling of a word. My cous spelled it the way that people from England spell it and Fatty lit into him and made an a** of himself. All my family and friends who witnessed that debacle were asking me "who is this dbag and why are you friends with him?" Needless to say that ended the "friendship" on Facebook. So, yea, ever since that happened, he has always been rude, condescending and a jackass towards me. I for the most part pay no attention to him (most of the time) but his comment about judoka's sensei was way out of line, even for him. I see a lot of President #45 in Fatty and believe me, that is NOT a good thing.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I really appreciate it when people compliment me being level headed. I've actually blown my top off before online and once banned myself from another forum back in the early 2000. It's not really worth it to get mad though about stuff online. This is why this was particularly disapointing to hear from someone I knew offline.

It also though is due to my sensei. He wasn't perfect and he himself could have a temper especially at students who weren't behaving during practice and not following the lessons. He understood though that there is a place for anger and that holding onto or consumed by anger was counterproductive.

Nook, LondonCalling, Yung-T and 7 others like this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You strike me as one of the good guys here and I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm sorry you had to read something like that. I lost a good friend that I really looked up to last year and I certainly wouldn't want to hear or see comments like that about him.

@Roscoe Arbuckle is a character here that I find entertaining. I hope whatever **** he's obviously going through (and no doubt inflicted upon himself) that he can reflect and get the help he obviously needs.

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

All I know it's that there is nothing in the world that fatty could say to upset me. Yes, I think that little of him.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I've got a feeling he won't even be able to make an attempt any time soon.

Roscoe Arbuckle was last seen: 1d 11h ago

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just to nudge things back to where they belong (right?):

RJ, thanks for sharing this news with the board. I don't think many of us can understand what that special kind of community leader means to those they have touched. (Maybe @robbie380, who does a lot of MMA or other grappling type stuff?)

I've had more senior scientists pass away and leave voids in little communities, but it sounds a lot less personal than a sensei (especially such an influential one). I did (and still do) really mourn the passing of a very influential writing teacher. He died way to young of leukemia, but interestingly, I still hear his voice giving me advice all the time, and I share a lot of his lessons with students when we discuss their writing.

It will be interesting, and probably challenging in many cases, to watch how your community there adapts. Best wishes with that process and whatever role you decide to take.

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

That's unfortunate, actually. Judoka will be fine and I offer sincere condolences. Fatty though, I really feel sorry for the guy, he is truly unhinged. This guy has been crying for attention and help for so long...
    Sishir is someone you can always count on to give an honest, thoughtful appraisal on any and every topic. Fatty is a train wreck.

Nook, Invisible Fan, Yung-T and 5 others like this.
  18. CrazyJoeDavola

So if Fatty is banned, will he go full circle and go whine about it on Facebook?

LondonCalling, Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Manny Ramirez

Probably but someone else will have to tell me - I quit Facebook more than 5 months ago.

20. Manny Ramirez

He'll (he being Fatty) be back on this BBS but under some other handle like "Oliver Hardy" or something like that.

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.