1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Rank - Green #62

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Sep 20, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34552302/nbarank-2022-ranking-best-players-2022-23-100-26

2021 NBArank: 62

Swing skill: Green has the potential to compete for scoring titles, as he displayed down the stretch of his rookie season. He averaged 28.1 points on .486/.427/.773 shooting splits in his last nine games of 2021-22, scoring 30-plus points in seven of the last eight, including a 41-point finale. He's an explosive leaper who should be a better finisher after a summer in the weight room.

-- MacMahon

For reference- RJ Barrett 63 Herro 61 Mobley 36 Cunningham 35

Russ 65
    Giddey 81
    Banchero 82
    Christian Wood 92

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Where was Kevin Porter Jr. ranked? [​IMG]

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It’s like these people refuse to learn. Westbrook is not even a top 150 player lol

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope Green worked on his handle in the offseason, with that speed a more better handle will only elevate him even further.

DD

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No other Rocket made the top 100, so no KPJ nor Jabari. The top 25 hasn't been released yet.

My mistake, @SamFisher . Merging this with your thread.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seems fair

bmelo, napalm06 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Probably ranked in the 1-25 range and getting ready to sign his max contract

#7 cheke64, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    apollo33, bmelo, King1 and 10 others like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Can’t really argue. Green had a doodoo first half and a great second half as a rookie.

REEKO_HTOWN and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

So by inference Alpi is a Top 25 player, right?

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let's hope he makes the biggest jump in the league with these same rankings next year. Definitely a chance that might happen.

I wonder what he would need to do and what the arste of the Rockets have to be for him to have that type of lead leading leap? Obviously the Rockets would have to substantially improve their win total. They arent going to hand the most improved player award to a player on a 25 win team.

If he can average 20+ on good efficiency (58+ ts%) but also increase his assists and rebounds to over 4, erase the perception that he's a horrible defender and the Rockets win 30+, he can win it. That's a lot of ifs.

11. SamFisher

I don't know if all-rookie guys should be eligible for MIP - not that MIP matters.

Really should be "Most Improved Player Outta Nowhere" (MIPON) award.

Same thing with Coach of the Year. It should either be "Coach of the best team!" COBT award or "Coach of the team that we thought wasn't going to be good but is actually good! (COTWTWNGBGBIAG) award. Seems like it alternates between the 2, yearly.

alethios, napalm06, Corrosion and 5 others like this.
  12. xaos

xaos Member

Will finish higher than that for sure

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow, I am surprised that Mobley was ranked that high...and I think Green should be higher.

KPJ will be announced in the next day or so. ;)

DD

#13 DaDakota, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pretty easy, they had couple veterans lose their 30th ish places.

Some of those rankings do not bring major winning.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#62 all time is pretty good for a 2nd year player.

apollo33, Dankstronaut and Boii like this.
  16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I am just not convinced that Mobley, Barnes, and Cade are THAT much better than Green. I know the advanced analytics love Mobley and Barnes and I think part of that is the fact they were lotto talent rookies placed on teams with decent and or up and coming rosters which seems to skewer their value because the teams won more games, but you would think by the numbers that they were historically good/future HOFers and I didn't necessarily see that. I'm not arguing that all 3 of those had better overall rookies seasons than Green, but contextually they are being wildly overrated here.

BallSoHarden, bmelo, DreamR and 2 others like this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....appreciate the enthusiasm but don't put your money on that bet. Just looking out for a fellow CF brother - ha.

18. SamFisher

Early in the season passenger on a team that had horrible drivers - he got a lot of minutes during the very worst stretches of Rockets basketball last year (the 19 straight losses) and then due to his injury, had to skip the one good early season patch (the 7 game win streak) which was a combination of weakened opponents and hot shooting by Matthews (26-59 during the Green injury games - 34% for the rest of the season ) and Gordon (46% during the Green injury games) -- his advanced stats suffered mightily as a result especially early in the seeason.

Again I've said this before, but advanced stats seem to me to be designed to optimize the top-end differentiation - I don't think anybody's gone through to see how well they reflect bottom-end differentiation or how well they apply to bad teams in inter-bad-team comparisions.

apollo33, Deckard and heypartner like this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yeah, I agree with that read as well. The historic nature of the readouts for those rookie on good teams can't be a coincidence and the sample size of really good rookies on really good rosters is probably relatively small given the nature of the lotto.

I've seen people suggesting Kuminga on Golden State was somehow better than Green and I KNOW that is not true but when you look at advanced metrics, it would tell you Kuminga has a much higher PER, Win Shares, etc. I think the stats don't really understand context to determine performance relative to role. Obviously it's much easier to produce efficiently when you are sharing the court with a future NBA HOFer vs a future player of a Euro league.

20. SamFisher

Win shares is explicitly dependent on team success, it's pretty bad for measuring rookies on lotto teams