1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queen Elizabeth II dies at age 96

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigM, Sep 8, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Reported.

Jontro and bobrek like this.
  3. bobrek

Explain your use of the word tantamount in the context you used it.

What you wrote is the same as saying "her actions should be equivalent over everything".

ROCKSS and Manny Ramirez like this.
  4. bobrek

Hey... I'm just establishing talking about the King so in 20 years when he dies, I have permission to talk about him

Rashmon, ROCKSS, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well that’s probably my fault for not pumping my band more. I just played this song at our last gig a couple of months ago. And it’s been a staple of my band for years.

in case you don’t want to watch it all there is a line,
    “Against the Famine and the Crown I rebelled they ran me down”
    This is even a nicer version than the one we plan which I won’t post to avoid offending your sensibilities further.

That said If you find yourself in Minnesota on October 7th you can come and see us at the Dubliner in St. Paul. I promise to play a lot of anti monarchy songs just so you know I’m not some late comer lib to opposing the British crown.
    https://thedublinerpub.com/event/the-serfs/2022-10-07/

#145 rocketsjudoka, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  6. Buck Turgidson

Too easy, after the Queen meme joke thing in the same spot.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

She chose to remove any of this, jackass.

Should we have a fun fight? I know you know a lot of stuff, and I'm a 50 year old white guy. 3 points wins. Winner pays El Tiempo.

I know it sounds silly, but I'm cocky for a reason.

#147 Roscoe Arbuckle, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

She chose it? If that is the case then she isn’t just a figurehead if she has actual power of military decisions. That would mean she would be liable Bloody Sunday , one of those vexatious claims she talked about.
    I’m recovering from rotator cuff surgery so it will be at least six months before I’m back in the mat but after that I’m down to roll with any clutchfan. Sure if you want To have a friendly spar, you can pick the style, I will be happy to do so next Spring. I know a gym we could do it at in Minneapolis otherwise could do it in Houston and invite other Clutchfans to watch.

We could do tip jar bets and or as a fundraiser for other charities.

9. bobrek

Count me in for $500 to the charity of your (judoka's) choice.

AroundTheWorld and rocketsjudoka like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said she or me are saying she is not really the Queen, nobody has tried to say that.

The fact remains she had no power to intervene in any of this let alone call any shots, what the hell does being a symbol of calling the shots even mean, that's just a made up thing, so you can direct your blame.

Queen Isabella and Queen Elizabeth comes from 2 totally different eras they are nothing alike that's 200 years apart and monarchs did not have the same power.

I am not mad at anybody I just think a lot of this anger and blame is misplaced I am not saying anybody needs to mourning anything what I am saying is there is no need to be angry at this Queen because of what the empire of Britain had done previously.

I have no issue with anybody feeling hurt because of what Britain did with their colonization, but I do have issues with being mad at Queen Elizabeth for things done before she was born, and before she was Queen.

So should we be mad at Biden because of our colonization or slavery?

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said you can't even talk about what she represents to other people?

Can you provide a link to that?

12. KingCheetah

Queen Elizabeth is bad, but Mother Teresa is the worst.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. bobrek

I did a search and you have never talked about Mother Teresa, so don't start now.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Symbols matter and that all of the British military not just swears allegiance to the Monarchy but technically belong to the monarch it's very different than a US President. The US military doesn't swear allegiance to any President and US Naval Vessels aren't called "HPS" (His / Her President's Ship) while Brtish vessels are "HMS". I think you can understand if you, your family or your country had some bad experiences at the hands of Royal Marines, Royal Fussiliers, Royal Constabulary etc. might not feel so sad about the passing of the Queen.

Elizabeth Windsor personally didn't do much but it is impossible to separate her from the Queen. We wouldn't be having all this pomp and circumstance along with an official British Holiday if it was just an old English Granny named Elizabeth who passed away.

At the same time though that doesn't make her completely blameless. As in the article I cited she diminished the controversy about Bloody Sunday and other incidents as merely "vexatious claims" while shielding Prince Andrew from being investigated over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This could be really fun. Maybe we can get T-shirts made . "Clutchfans: Fight in the Forum". "Tapout in the Hangout"

AroundTheWorld and ROCKSS like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude you are doing your best Stupid Moniker impression, this has nothing to do with should everybody be feeling bad, how the hell did you get that from what I posted, my problem is the unfounded blame that some are using to attack the queen and acting like she was some villain to bad mouth her.

Who said symbols did not matter, and what does that have to do with the personal attacks of Queen E?

I have no problem with anybody railing against the British establishment or Britain as a whole.

It's not impossible to separate her, if you have any critical thinking ability you can just look at her history and see what she had power or influence over, and you ignore the fact that under her rule she rolled back most of Britain's imperialism.

I never said she was perfect or did not have any blame in anything so stop with that straw man, I specifically said what I had issue with, now you are just moving the goalpost.

What does her saying Bloody Sunday and other incidents as merely "vexatious claims" have to do with anything?:rolleyes:

A politician or royal family member said things to try and paint their country in a good light, how dare they.:rolleyes:

Me and family have had bad experiences in America, should I blame every president since I have been borne or since my mother was born?

History is messy, we should at least try and discuss it rationally and logically.

17. Buck Turgidson

18. KingCheetah

Imbeciion logic she is also Queen Mother and organized live aid -- it's no wander you won't take a bet.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I have. Let me know when she dies and I'll have some things to say.

20. bobrek

That's tantamount to being irrespectful. And I'm speaking in the vernacular.

gifford1967 and KingCheetah like this.