1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/2023 mock Trade/Draft/Free agency thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, May 31, 2022.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

2k23 myleague

Simulated 22/23 season and received the 5th pick

Added Mike Conley & Kevin Love in 2023 FA to come off the bench

We became a 56 win team, 1st seed, playing the pistons in the 23/24 finals lol

Boys you don’t understand the power of having 70mil to improve 1 stater position or buy the best bench in basketball

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

How do you sim through a season in 2k23 without having to do press conferences, meet with staff and chit chat players almost every day?

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

I like myleague a lot. I think you are talking about mycareer

Myleague I can basically be the GM, sim the regular season, and I normally play the playoff games. You can also do a expansion team which I like. I always create the “Austin Bats” and build my own team

4. i3artow i3aller

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Thanks, man. We switched to MyLeague and are enjoying it a lot!

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Yeah it’s definitely my favorite mode I’ve played the most. After playing it the past 5 years it’s easy to see the rockets are doing the rebuild the right way. It gets pretty tricky when you have no more cap room and gotta start making tough decisions

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I know. MyGM mode is the same but with less ability to sim through day-to-day BS. I’ve built several dynasties where I’ve had to let stars walk in free agency because I’m so loaded.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

If we tank - NBA will give us the third or second pick again!

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Fine with me. Scoot Henderson at 2 might end up being our best player! Even at 3, you can get a potential star (like Arkansas PG Nick Smith).

clos4life, jimmyv281 and Deckard like this.
  10. ROCK3TM4N

ROCK3TM4N Member

Probably been said but this excites me

Green
    Tari
    Jabari
    Wemby
    Sengun

Sengun running the point a la Jokic :cool:

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

EGo HAS to be worth a mid 1st or even low lottery pick with his ridiculous range and %.

And Giannis needs to get a lot closer to rim before he shoots. A LOT CLOSER.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Get John Butler.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Rockets' Legend.

D-rock likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking the Rockets need to use the flotsam and jetsam of the Wood trade, along with the 2023 Milwaukee pick to grab Myles Turner.

Most, if not all, of those players are going to be cut before the season starts if they are not consolidated. This gives the Rockets a chance to turn those players into someone they can evaluate over the course of the next season and decide if they want to try to re-sign him or let him walk and sign someone else with the cap space. We have likely seen about what Turner's ceiling is. I don't think he would cost a ton to re-sign, and as a Texas product, might be more willing to stay than luring someone else in via free agency. They take on no additional long-term money while getting a player that can help hold down the center position with Sengun while he gets his feet under him. They would likely become free agents again at the same time and the Rockets can decide which is more valuable at that point, if not before.

This team is already pretty crowded with young players. I don't think the MIL pick at around #25 adds much to this team.

Nwaba + Gusman + Boban + Burke + Brown + MIL pick for Myles Turner (and any other roster balancing filler.

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Acquire Myles Turner and/or Jalen Johnson and this Rockets team may be too good to tank THIS season.

Barring any major injuries of course.

theDude likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I like the idea and the player but don't think a single "late" first is enough to entice Indy to make that deal and then eat the salary. They have 19 players on their roster currently - 5 of those on exhibit 10 contracts.

Maybe you find a 3rd team with the Rockets shipping EG out and taking back Turner and the 3rd team sending a pick to Indy along with salary filler. That 3rd team, assuming they are over the cap would have to send out $15.6m
    Or just send them EG & that Milwaukee pick and call it even - they can move EG later.

D-rock and theDude like this.
  17. theDude

Supporting Member

With what has happened with this offseason, I don't see how we will have one of the bottom three teams. I think we will finish no better than 5th worst. Thunder, Jazz, Magic and Spurs will all be worse than us. If the Pacers complete trades for Turner and Heild, they will be, too. With the lottery, I think you are generally trying to hold position. Once you are out of that bottom 3, or even 4, you just have to hope the balls go your way. And since there are only two real prizes, I think you just start looking to the future.

They need to look at who is going to be available in the offseason next year, and if someone like Turner (or Poeltl or even Wiggins), who could be a possible target is in danger of getting dealt, they might as well try to make the move now and get a trial run with them. If they don't appear to be working, there's no long term cap damage done, and you could still deal them at the deadline to try to get something back (a la Theis). Those players could also get dealt and sign an extension with their new team before ever seeing free agency.

I'm not necessarily for going all-in on a trade this year, but if we could trade that dead weight and a pick for a flier, I'd much rather do that than just cutting them.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t see the point in trading for vets this year unless you are all in on making the playoffs. We have an incredible amount of young talent that needs minutes. I don’t care about tanking, but I do want to know what we have with Sengun, Jabari, KPJ, and Tari. Myles Turner would just gum up the minutes and we would be in the same conundrum next year with a crummier pick. Jettison the Dallas guys for whatever or just cut them. Give Jalen, KPJ, Tari, Sengun, Garuba, Jabari, and Christopher all they can eat. Play Tate, Gordon, KJM, and Matthews whatever you need to have a rotation, but get the guys with potential the minutes so we know what we need to go get next year. Of course, if some superstar wants to come here this year then all this changes, but who on Earth would that be?

theDude likes this.
  19. theDude

Supporting Member

I’m not talking about acquiring vets like you would do in a playoff push. I’m talking about experienced players that could be here for the next six or seven years if we wanted them. Give them a look and see how they work with he guys on our roster. I think Turner is someone who could be a good compliment for Sengun, not someone who is blocking his minutes. And for the most part, I’m talking about players that wouldn’t have long term cap implications if we don’t want them to.

We are going to have big time cap space next year, but unless we are showing improvement, nobody of significance is going to want to sign here. The list of quality free agents is pretty thin to start with, so I don’t trust just waiting to see who’s interested next summer. I want to be a little proactive.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

turner is starting at either pf or c. So either Sengun, Jabari, or Eason are going to lose minutes as well as Garuba. I just don’t see the point of turner on this team. Jalen Johnson on the other hand maybe even though he would eat into tari’s minutes or Josh Christopher’s.