1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Shares of FedEx plunged 24% after the shipments company withdrew its full-year guidance and said it will implement cost-cutting initiatives to contend with soft global shipment volumes as the global economy “significantly worsened.”

Transport stocks are typically seen as a leading economic indicator, so FedEx’s announcement could contribute to broader declines on Friday.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/15/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

SQQQ is free money, good luck, bozos

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Are you trading in/out on trends or just holding? Obviously it should climb, but with this market I just try to trade quick contract positions.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

VIX calls started out really decent this morning, I am hoping to try and catch it eventually, I mean for example from 9/12 - 9/16 ~5x for quick hold @ 9/22 23c.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Holding waiting for the BIG trend to (continue to) emerge. I was down a good 18% on it last month but kept adding. Conviction on this one. Worst case scenario - my 401k goes up.

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I am watching NVDA as a short term play, overreaction crypto/China chip bans etc, hopefully pending gpu announcement causes interest to get a little more upside from retail before it goes back down.

Obviously this might be too easy on thought process since tech isn't looking great.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I think you're right though on SQQQ, bigger trend has to be coming. Like the market can't continue to be propped up, so tech definitely has more to fall. I'm hoping to enter tech at some point at better bargain prices.

Ziggy likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Elon is going to blow a lot of smoke for Tesla's AI day. I haven't figured out a play for AI, but semi's seems like a start if they bring in an undisclosed dancing midget wearing a helmet full of wires.

CCity Zero and Ziggy like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He needs to give the fanbase what they really want, the latest in penile enlargement tech that they can only pay for in doge.

Ubiquitin, dmoneybangbang and Sajan like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very nice call on AI play.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Sounds like a pitch for their Boring Co storefront.

Sajan and Ziggy like this.
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Did he bite a man's ear when he was with Tyson?

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I invest in Ziggy.

Ziggy and Sajan like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Any thoughts on DBMF and similar?

Seems like a HEDGE outside rebalancing stocks to bonds/GOLD or the reverse while economy is doing what it do.

The Real Shady likes this.
  18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You're going to laugh but I'm sticking with high interest savings accounts. Plus I have three people in the household so I can put another 30k into ibonds on January 1.

19. Invisible Fan

10% guaranteed is much better than the uncertainty for this year. I haven't heard of DBMF before yesterday and what it deals in sounds complex. I found it while searching for news on Artemis.

I tried rebalancing my 401k and the options available were mostly crap. No commodities. The bond offerings lumped garbage without much reason. International funds were a quarter China stocks and no real offerings to park money

As for the whole bond/stocks balance, I think corporate/HY/mortgage bonds are going to be in a world of hurt. Treasuries serve a dual purpose as high quality collateral, so even if countries start selling off to save their own bacon, eventually that massive shitpile of debt we're writing up will find a home because they treat it like cash. It hurts that the Fed is letting existing treasuries come to term as a part of qe (prob the most influential detail in that scheme). It's not obvious when that'll flip will happen, so planning ahead is a losing bet.

So ibonds isn't anything to laugh at given that all equities seem tightly coupled with the dollar as the leading indicator.

#18919 Invisible Fan, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Ziggy likes this.
  20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm getting 4% on an HISA since I'm outside the US and have higher interest rate accounts here so right now everything goes into savings but next year I'll just start converting to USD and buying iBonds. I'll likely start saving in USD instead of CAD because I dont see the USD getting weaker if interest rates continue to rise and we have a recession (because everyone else will park their money in USD as well)

If you're looking for something for your 401k, I'd almost suggest something like JEPI or JEPQ (provided you are switching from something like VOO/QQQ). They have slightly lower volatility than VOO/QQQ respectively and you get the monthly dividend to provide an additional offset. It's not countercyclical or anything but the dividend yields on both have been really high this year (closer to 10%). Normally dividend yields are closer to 7% but unlike other ETFs that strictly focus on covered call dividends (QYLD, NUSI, etc..), the JP Morgan ones don't naturally decay so you still see appreciation.

#18920 geeimsobored, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022