1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official Astros @ Tigers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 12, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What is Dustyism?

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

If I were him I would just tell my catcher not to catch the next pitch, and then launch it at 97 at the umpires face. Send a message to these clowns.

lnchan, J_Hunter_1977 and crose like this.
  3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

You're missing the point. I'm not arguing about whether a pitcher needs warm ups. Ryan Tepera accused the Astros of cheating last post season, so screw him.

HatsForBats and Nook like this.
  4. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Not baseball but like this....
    [MEDIA]

STR8Thugg and Rock Block like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

The Brantley thing wasn’t related to the clubhouse though. Some of that was on Click for trusting a ball player that tells him he will be able to play. Brantley didn’t know he would have surgery until late in the process. Click should know that players lie or understate injuries because they want to play and are competitors.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not overly worried about it.

Alvarez is very secretive and purposely vague when it comes to his injuries. This has happened before when there was a discussion about whether he had one or both hands injured. Yordan has been asked about his injury multiple times by reporters and wouldn’t give information because he doesn’t want the other team to know. He is young but very old school in how he views the game.

Dusty Baker speaks Spanish and Alvarez speaks English. There was no language barrier. Yordan is careful and it’s why he uses a translator. However, he took classes in English when he defected from Cuba and is supposedly quiet but good at speaking it with people he is comfortable with.

I can count on one hand the number of players that have had strong personality clashes with Dusty Baker and that’s over 4-5 decades. He isn’t a brilliant tactician and he doesn’t study like someone Hinch does; but when it comes to people skills and relating to just about anyone, Baker is great at that.

7. Major

Major Member

What makes you think he didn't get the offer? If he did, he'd have rejected it without a 2nd thought because it was a terrible offer. There was zero chance any player in his position would sign that.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Stupidity

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Correa said he never received the offer to the press. This is why I speculated about it.

One of the scenarios could be a source of a rift, if there is one. Even if rejected, Crane would expect an offer approved by him to be made. However; it wouldn't apply if it was just approval to raise a budget cap. ie You can make offers up to X without further authorization.

Other scenarios were lies by the Astros, lie by Correa, forgetfulness by Correa and miscommunication between the Astros and Correa.

#389 Marshall Bryant, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    Major likes this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and the ump throw his trash ass out of the game.

11. bobrek

If you're going to believe rumors, do you also believe this one?

In a similar way, owner Jim Crane did not respond to a single text from Correa’s agent, Scott Boras.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's one of those things that sounds better in your head, which is where it should stay. Or speak of it, but don't do it as you would contemplate a fantasy. I tend to do the latter and many wish I would do the former. It's the down side of thinking outside the comfortable box.

#392 Marshall Bryant, Sep 15, 2022
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Could be. I have worked for micro managers who would go around those they supposedly empowered to do a job. I have also worked for those who would not. It was a chain of command issue. In those cases, they would intervene only through the empowered employee. (A style I preferred by the way). But borrowing from electronics, a feedback loop for information needs to be employed in such a situation.

It would require someone with intimate knowledge of the management styles of each party to make an educated guess. Most reporters speculate rather than report based on knowledge of a situation. I speculate on alternatives knowing that I don't know.

Taking a call from Boros directly would bypass his chain of command. And it would not surprise me if this was the intent of an Agent. This is sometimes required when the Empowered Employee hasn't really been empowered and is merely a shield.

#393 Marshall Bryant, Sep 15, 2022
  14. bobrek

Verlander and Crane were directly talking regarding the deal he signed prior to this season.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Good point.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

1. Defense prioritized in starting lineup, better bats reserved for 'clutch' situations (Dubon over Mancini lineups)
    2. Focus on making sure teammates can survive each other for full season despite personal issues (Kent/Bonds)
    3. Allowing the starting pitcher to figure it out despite trouble (see Framber, Wood, etc.)
    4. "Traditional" lineups with speed on top and power at 3/4 with #2 hitter assumed to be another table setter
    5. Eye test over analytics
    6. Load management of stars (even before his Astros tenure)
    7. Small ball when deemed necessary even if it defies probability models

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I always find it comical whenever people believe agents deceive players... or GM's deceive owners.

If it ever does happen (in the rare circumstance), the agent or GM would be fired right then/there. I guess it did sort of happen with Freeman this past off-season, and his agent was fired.

But otherwise, its usually the player always making the final decision... and its usually the owner always making the final decision.

18. bobrek

Actually it didn't happen with Freeman. While he did fire his agent, the 'report' that his agent never presented him the final Braves offer was bogus.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/07/doug-...-casey-close-retracts-freddie-freeman-report/

#398 bobrek, Sep 15, 2022
    Marshall Bryant, desihooper and Major like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interesting. Any comments from Freeman regarding this?

Have to believe there was something else there that just isn't being said. While Freeman may have been notified of all offers, he still may have had full commitment to return to the Braves, but in the process of negotiations the Braves decided to trade for Olson and the rest was history.

I guess that's a reason to fire your agent... if they ultimately didn't help you get what you truly wanted.... but glad to hear the original premise wasn't what it was thought to be.