1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allergies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Whaddya yall have?

I've never been allergic to anything that I knew of, but I got blasted by a couple of red wasps yesterday and now my right hand looks like a cross between a pack of hotdogs and a catcher's mitt. Not ideal.

VooDooPope and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I go to a famous physician
    I sleep in the local hotel
    From what I can see of the people like me
    We get better
    But we never get well
    So I ask myself this question
    It's a question I often repeat
    Where do allergies go
    When it's after a show
    And they want to get something to eat?

Rashmon, Nook, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

tinman likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Xerobull

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve, I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

6. Buck Turgidson

jiggyfly and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  7. Xerobull

I dunno man. Their pollen, I guess. It's just something I tested positive for.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Stay in your room

jiggyfly, Two Sandwiches and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

You need an epinephrine pen, because if you are allergic your reactions can get worse.

My wife is allergic to fire ants, bees and wasps. She had some immunotherapy which made it better but it’s still nasty and super painful if even one fire ant gets her.

AroundTheWorld and CCity Zero like this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

I can be allergic to raw veggies. I think it had to do with testosterone as the allergies have gone down over the years.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Dr. Evil I suppose

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

On the immunotherapy, was she taking the shots? I'm not allergic to bites/stings but - Cedar/mold/grass all can make my day **** in Austin area. I did the allergy shots weekly for 2+ years and it made it better but never quite perfect, I just stick with flonase now and an allergy pill, and also a nasal rx antihistamine when needed, I think that works the best.

Anyway, I was curious about the immunotherapy for bites/stings though because my wife is allergic to bees/wasps etc. she carries an epinephrine pen, fortunately never had to use it though.

13. Xerobull

Yep, shots. Same principal. I had a five year cycle for my respiratory allergies and it made a massive difference.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I found out I was allergic to wasps as well when I got stunk in high school. If you haven't already go see a doc.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Damn, man I should have kept going! I had 2 (prob closer to 3) years and reached max dose, it was free w/ insurance, I probably should go back. It definitely made a difference for the central Texas seasonal allergies. I mean I still have them but not like it was, so it definitely did something, so probably should have kept going.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and get my wife to go too.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Not sure how long I'm here, but I never get sick. And even in the rarity I do, it goes away immediately.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's great you never get sick, but allergies don't correlate to being sick/weak immune system. It's just your immune system overreacting to something it shouldn't. In some cases it can actually be a sign of a strong immune system.

I don't get sick either but my allergies in central Texas will make me feel like I have a cold/stuffed up some times, but I don't have a fever etc and it doesn't progress.

Anyway, the immunotherapy we're talking about is basically retraining your immune system to not overreact to pollen or something else in the environment. With your good immune system, as you age or move to different environments, it's probably more likely you'll have environmental allergies at some point, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Xerobull likes this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

I used to have massive allergies as a kid. So much so that I was getting weekly shots.

As far as my allergies? Something in Fruits & veggies cause my throat to itch and occasionally in bad circumstances my throat and lips will swell up. Nothing ever threatening. I truly think my testosterone has something to do with it. And I feel I'm repeating myself.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Do you ever notice it with specific types of vegetables/fruits over others? I know I sometimes get a smallish reaction like what you describe from fresh watermelon/cantaloupe/bananas - especially when I'm not already taking an allergy med for my stupid seasonal allergies in Central TX. It's just like you describe though.

Fortunately other than that, no crazy health related allergy/major immune issues. I'd definitely take what you're describing with a strong immune system over the alternative where a person literally gets sick multiple times in a year.

Knocking on wood here so I don't jinx myself, haha, I think last time I was majorly sick was probably 4-5 years ago and it was probably because of some food poisoning/or probably a norovirus, fortunately nothing too serious though in comparison to a few others I was with who were sick for a few days longer than me.