1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Garuba?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Aug 22, 2022.

1. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

damn.. how did I ever forget about Craig Ackerman, basketball extraordinaire... he's obviously never been wrong in his life :rolleyes:

so according to you, there's room on the worst team in the league for a complete bum/headcase who's already over the hill like WCS, but there's no room for a 20 yr old who still has a lot of potential... makes sense.

D-rock likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

According to me, there is only so many guys you can develop at one time, and we have too many so those at the bottom of that table get pushed aside to the G league. Also Garuba is a decent player a developing player, but he is far away in skills, there is nothing he is ELITE at, that says, gosh we need to develop that. I think he will spend most of his time in the Gleague.

He may become a nice NBA role player but I just don't believe the Rockets have enough playing time to develop him, and he is far behind every single other player that we are developing he is far and away the furthest away.

Maybe the Rox let him develop in the Gleague until all the clutter of developing players ahead of him clears out....who knows....

DD

3. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Welp, I guess there's no room for Nix either then. He is far away in skills, not elite at any one thing, and he's also fat like a dump truck just like Garuba. There's nothing that says, gosh, we really need to develop Nix.

On a serious note, there really isn't much in the way ahead of Garuba for getting backup minutes to Sengun, as long as he puts his head down and gets to work, trims his fat, and sets hard screens and rolls to the rim while playing with max effort. He's already a better defensive player than WCS will ever be. Garuba doesn't need to set the world on fire and show some kind of elite talent. That's bs. He was always going to be a role player in this league as a defensive minded big. His elite skill needs to be playing with max effort and causing havoc defensively and on the boards. It's all about effort and being in shape with Garuba.

Funny how you pump up Nix like he's some potential star but **** on Garuba so easily. Nix is the one who plays a skill-position and actually does have a lot of competition and clutter in his spot. If anything, he probably needs to spend more time refining his skills in the GLeague after the shitshow that he put on in the summer.

Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice one but rockets love to pay their vets ...they played danuel theis(!!) danual house and other scrubs in front of sengun , garuba and other youngins for the entire last year!!!
    bad teams are bad for a reason and that is not lack of talent

5. anchel

anchel Member

Well, I'm from Spain and I'm watching every game of the summer, including the friendly games. Pradilla started better and is remarkable how he's helping at his age, but Garuba has been more important the last games. His relevance is growing each game it passes and he was the chosen one by Scariolo to finish the game against Lithuania over Willy. Actually his +/- against Lithuania was +14 (-6 by Willy).

The way his body is moving now is great news for the Rockets. He's showing he's very raw at finishing around the basket, but at least he's coming back to the athletic/super high motor/hustler version of Garuba that made him become a 1st rounder.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

thanks for your input!

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hopefully he’s learning his lesson, that food in Europe will keep you lean while food in Houston (and the RGV) will slow you like molasses. Many an athlete have come to Houston to eat their career away. Hell, I’ll be making a trip in town tomorrow and have prepared my body for the 5lbs of fat I’ll gain over the five days I’m gone. It’s totally worth it for us laypeople.

But for Garuba nutrition is going to be what determines his career trajectory. Hopefully he learns this lesson now, while his metabolism is still fast.

anchel and Jontro like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He was hit with a slurry of injuries last season, not sure it’s so safe to assume food is what caused underwhelming performances in the small number of games he played. There’s also the whole adjusting to the speed and physicality of the NBA at 19 years old thing…

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I disagree DD. I hope and think he will get playing time and plenty of it in the Rockets this year.

Rooting for the UsMAN GaruBA!

10. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

He will have a huge challenge tomorrow if he is assigned to defend Markannen, who was incredible against Croatia (43 points 9 rebounds), and reminded me of the FIBA version of a young Pau Gasol (I’m from Spain too)

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

i’m with deedee here. garuba should be traded for a couple of 1st rounders

verysimplejason and DaDakota like this.
  12. DaDakota

Nix has a lot to prove too - but he has already proven he is too good for the G league, now he has to prove he belongs at the NBA level.

Nothing is set with any player on this team other than perhaps Green.

That's cool, I am rooting for him too - it is only an opinion man.....

DD

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly why DMo didn't eat Hamburgers with Harden and Dwight and stayed with his oyster diet. :D

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Nixie may prove out to be a AAAA player. I, at least, have not seen him look like that (over)stated lotto. Or even late first rounder.

Of course I hope Mr Nix makes the above quite silly.

15. DaDakota

Someone needs to him or TyTy.....

DD

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

IMO TT has a better shot er chance than Nixie.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Garuba doesn't have a chance in these mean Clutchfan streets.

xiki likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nahh. That's just the Ty Ty fan in you speaking. Nix deserves every bit of a chance to play over Ty Ty.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Markkanen is no KD.

And Garuba made his rep defending KD in Olympics.

20. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Things are different in FIBA basketball. His game against Croatia (Bogdanovic, Saric, Zubac…) was amazing. He basically defeated a better team by himself.