1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

All good things come "in time."

:)

2. dmoneybangbang

Exactly. Jabari is a hard worker and has the ability to improve his weaknesses and strengths.

Believe It! likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jabari’s switch ability, and his overall defense especially on the perimeter is going to change this team drastically.

So many games last year we had plenty of scoring but couldn’t stop anyone. Just imagine Green a year improved, Smith and KPJ hitting open 3s along with Tari and Bari improving the defense.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Big Shot Bob says hello.

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Love that ish!

Will be interesting to see what Smith looks like at 22.

Still can't believe they traded BSB and Sam for a near expired Barkley.

6. Good Times

Good Times Member

Horry was also a great slasher when he came to the league in addition to being a good shooter. I can still remember the game where he had 10 dunks in his second season, I think that year he was top 5 in number of dunks. I don’t really see Smith as a slasher or dunker. He might get one every couple of games but this doesn’t seem to be his strength.

Smith reminds me of Eddie Griffin at 18 when he came into the NBA in terms of skill set, being 6’10 and having a similar frame. The similar stats out of college, being a good defender, great shot blocker, above average rebounder, good shooter from 3, able to shoot over nearly anyone, plays more on the perimeter on offense, looks to shoot the fade away when posting up, not really a slasher, not able to backdown defenders, weak dribbler or lacks handles to drive, etc. But Smith has the mindset over Griffin, he does have the confidence to use the skills to the fullest and the attitude to win at all cost. Hopefully he turns into the star many of us thought Eddie could become.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Worth revisiting.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Griffin was not even as switchable as Horry.

And Jabari is even more switchable than Horry.

No comparison is perfect but Horry and his role will be more similar to Jabari than Eddie Griffin.

#1848 D-rock, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Drift Monkey, stevel and Believe It! like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

D-rock likes this.
  10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

We all know Jabari can take 1 or 2 dribbles and get into his shot -- that's the exact limitation being critiqued. I expressed that sentiment in my own big board evaluation (click the spoiler tag).

Maybe it's just a matter of semantics, but colloquially speaking, using a choreographed dribble to step into a tough jumper doesn't quality as "creating off the dribble" for me.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, Corrosion and Stephen_A like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

He can work on this next offseason.

At 19, he still has time to improve.

Drift Monkey, xaos and Believe It! like this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

It's always nice to watch tape of him doing the things that some say he can't. They will still be doubting when he's knocking them down and locking them down. Fun to witness for sure.

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  13. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

If Jabari can develop into a plus level Horry I’d be stoked. Is there a player in the modern NBA with more rings then Horry?

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Damn no game in ages and ya debating Jabari daily still.
    Brehs gotta get out and enjoy nature.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Imagine Big Shot Bob in today's NBA? He possibly played in the wrong era? He would be the prototypical 4 now, long athletic with a 3 ball.

Probably tough to ger more rings than he won, but he would have played more minutes in today's NBA I imagine

Drift Monkey, D-rock and stevel like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Eagerly awaiting Rockets media to release a video of him shooting a shot. Hopefully a closeup of his navel with image stabilization turned off as he does so. Then we can debate about his NBA career upon said additional data and truly determine if he's a flop or success.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. i3artow i3aller

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I hope to see Jabari display the defensive instincts that make me think of a culture setter .

I also would like to see some talent on display offensively , including : getting hot from 3 , starting slow and being able to adjust and overcome , some good cuts and finishing at the rim .

He’s an interesting physical profile and will need be thoughtful about how he trains . I feel like adding muscle disrupting shooting , if you bulk up too much too quickly then that can often have bad results .

he will have to ease into his body . Most remember that these guys are 19 in terms of b-ball experience , but discount that with their bodies sometimes .

I’ll read that article with him at C later , but idk who we are playing at PF with him there lol . If Tari Eason is amazing then Smith is probably a better fit . But you don’t have to go for fit those year . Because why play small when you have the ability to play big and give sengun a chance to develop more .

plus , Tim ****ing Duncan played powerforward. Yes he could also play center.

There is a future competition between Tari and alpi for future frontcourt starting spots . Garuba could come out of left field .

if Tari Eason is an sf then I will be kinda surprised.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

PG TyTy
    SG Green
    SF Tari
    PF Jabari
    C Sengun

6th man: KPJ. Plus Gordon (as long as he is here), Tate, Christopher, KMJ, Garry Bird, Garuba, BOBAN

I feel like we are going to be a better team than people think.