1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Prospects Power Rankings – Volume 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 7, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could easily observe if Jokic can win a championship, sometimes all the flashiness still doesn't end up with silverware. It takes a lot to win.

Easy likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It all depends if Green is a 1 or 2 on a championship team and if they need a 1 or Harden's corpse comes back.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Are you kidding me? Josh Christopher is number 7! SEVEN! This is an outrage! He is clearly the number one prospect in the entire NBA. SNUBBED! TRAVESTY! You will find me protesting outside of the Clutchfans headquarters! (does anyone know where that is?)

Invisible Fan, Mr.Scary, Hui and 6 others like this.
  4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I do not agree with your rankings. I think you haven't given enough consideration for a number of our players'
    I suggest you look at my list......
    Starters
    Porter
    Green
    Eason
    Smith
    Sengun

2nd team
    Washington
    Christopher
    Martin
    Tate
    Fernando

Extra players

Matthews
    Gordon
    Newba
    Hudgins (2 WAY)
    NIX,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Y

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Green doesn't look like a one. He seems to be a pure scorer. I think the team wants him to be that guy.

If the KPJ experiment fails, and Sengun doesn't turn into Baby Jokic, then they probably will look into the lesser prospect like Nix and TyTy, or trade for a good veteran PG with our draft assets.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You're welcome.

Deckard, Williamson and daywalker02 like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's way too early to say what Green won't be.

fchowd0311 and Easy like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed that we can't say for sure Green won't be. But he doesn't not look like he is a natural playmaker. So he will have to develop something that is not yet in his bag, much like what they asked KPJ to do. That's fine down the road. But for now, I want to see Green concentrated on being the aggressive scorer and making play when the situation calls for it rather than being forced into the playmaker role.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he needs to have a playmaking role, but when you look at the greats - the generally do everything well for the most part. They can break down defenses, pass, score, defend, get rebounds, get steals. They can do everything well and they excel at multiple things. So Green doesn't need to be a playmaker, but he needs to be able to do it in certain situations. I think he'll have that in his bag over the course of time.

Easy likes this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

This!!!! I’ve been trying to make this point for a while. Sengun is a hard piece to fit in bc everything has to run through him. If he doesn’t hit a jokic level, then he won’t be good enough to run things through. Just look at Sabonis

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tari Eason over Alperen Sengun, eh? :confused:

Tari Eason is over a year older, and quite simply not as good at basketball.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

If we are talking about sample size, how about 72 games in the nba for Sengun vs 0 for Eason?

Also if we are judging Eason based on summerleague, we also have Sengun’s summer league sample from last year where he was as good if not better…while being a full two and a half years younger. “Baffling” is the only correct word.

Dobbizzle and Ankara1923 like this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alperen, Kpjr, and Josh aren't getting the love they should be.

maj21 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am perplexed that we are still talking about one or two playmaking roles.

The balls moves from one side to the other, every player is involved. Some of those players have the ball more in their hands than others and that's about that.

Green has to start taking more responsibilities that is what a natural leader does, encourage the team when it is losing.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For simplicity's sake, let's say there are two types of play making. The traditional so-called "pass first" type. These players look to set up the offense, get his teammates involved, and only look to score when the defense gives him the opening. Guys like Nash and CP3 are the best of this type in recent history.

The other type is the scorer-playmaker. These guys look to score and are also adept in drawing the defense and then dishing to open teammates. Harden and Doncic are that kind of play maker.

We don't have the first type. Maybe you can say Sengun is that. KPJ and Green have a chance to develop into the second type. But that's not really easy. It took Harden several years to be great at it. I don't expect either Green or KPJ can master that in a year or two. It took Green half a season just to get his scoring rhythm. If you ask Green to be the kind of scorer-playmaker now, it may mess up his scoring efficiency. Do we really want that? I'd much rather he organically develop that over the years.

You can't just pass the ball around and say whoever is open shoots. That's not going to work in the NBA. Last season was kind of like that and everybody is calling for Silas's head. This is not the YMCA or summer league. You need some kind of structure to maximize the players' strengths.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Green was not my first draft choice so I am not going into the territory of demanding something big out his playmaking when it is clearly not his forte.

Now what you touched on in your last paragraph that is exactly what Silas is going for..
    MDA and Silas who are not the kind of coaches that press you into a tight system or at least it is free flowing and you wonder who is accountable at the end.

Unless we get a decent veteran playmaker or what you called 'scorer playmaker' you are not going to see Playoff style basketball for a while. Easy as that.

We had our chance at John Wall and surely we did not take it.

I mean there are only so many that are better at playmaking than Wall and they come at a price. Maybe Jrue Holiday falls into our lap. Sarcastically.

Now we see some Eric Gordon, KPJ and Green making a run at it.

#36 daywalker02, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Easy likes this.
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

KPJ is getting more than he deserves because of you clowns.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I know I will get flamed by this. MDA's system is "give the ball to the playmaker and let him create." He had two successful stints in the NBA, Phoenix and Houston. Both times he had a great playmaker handling the job. Other times, he didn't get much results. (The only exception is that short stretch called Linsanity in New York. In those few weeks, Lin looked like a great scorer playmaker.)

If Silas is going that route, we are looking to tank for a long time because we don't have that guy--unless if we get Scoot Henderson. Another way to do it is the Adelman model. We have Sengun who can initiate from the high post. But that system needs a lot of time to develop. And it requires a bunch of smart players who can read and react. I actually hope that the Rockets will run that kind of system eventually.

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Jokic might look like he exploded on the scene to casuals, but the reality is it took VERY high dedication from the front office to get a lineup that allowed him to get the reps in.

I doubt our front office has that foresight. Our fans certainly don't.

Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

MDA is the Zen Version, Silas is just an apprentice IMO, a marginal NBA coach but he believes in a similar philosophy.

I do think Silas is young enough to implement an even better defensive system while at his height
    MDA's O is hard to be challenged.

Agreed that Silas might compromise and use the Princeton's......

BTW I think MDA got more than give it to the PG, but it looks like that because he is so dependent on a PG, in New York he let David Lee and Carmelo go to work.

#40 daywalker02, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    Easy likes this.