1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#24 Houston vs UTSA (NY6 Bowl Pursuit)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Aug 29, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What a crazy game -- 3 quarters before they woke up.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As always, sannantonyo was just a short drive away

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Manjack got the ESPN play of the day. Aside from the catch, I did like his turn up the field on his first catch too. He may not always be open, but he showed some natural football awareness and hands. playmaker.

Thought Tune was dead on accurate most of the day, even when guys weren't open he gave them a chance. It bodes well. His long ball was shaky, but I trust his arm strength generally. The problem was we were calling run plays for an entire half and couldn't run. And I don't mind trying to establish the run, but when the announcers and fans can see the obvious philosophy change needed before the coaches, I worry.

#123 PhiSlammaJamma, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Tune's long ball is his weakest attribute imo, but it's not like he was throwing to open guys down field anyway. The UTSA DBs were stuck on pretty much everybody like glue until the 4th quarter when they started playing off a bit. Even then, Tank was the only guy getting routine separation. That catch by Manjack though, that was so damn good. That 30 seconds (stripsack immediately followed by a shot at the endzone) turned the whole game around.

I don't know how many times we ran it on first down, or ran it up the middle for no gain. It felt like dozens of times. The OC was just in complete denial about how badly our center and guards were. Those boys need some serious coaching because they were getting routinely destroyed by guys they clearly had a size advantage over. And the false starts, my god.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Strap in, because the Coogs are definitely going to keep running for short gains on first down 90% of the time. Holgorsen values keeping the ball safe and owning the clock over moving downfield. The playbook really only comes out for third-and-medium, which the Coogs are going to generate a ton of all year and are good at converting.

It’s not the most fun offense to watch, but it’s what they’re rolling with.

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Looks like Texas Tech is favored by 5 over Coogs.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I expect UH to play better. Tech ruined their home opener last season. I think UTSA may be much better than anyone thinks. It would be priceless if they go to Austin and knock off UT.

Pat and Fulgore like this.
  8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Might be facing Tech’s backup qb

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We looked bad. Lucky to escape with a win. If the coogs try running up the middle all day at tt it will be an ugly loss. Gotta let it rip.

the real reason the coogs played so poorly was obviously those hideous helmets. Just facts folks.

beat the crap outta ut lite

solid likes this.
  10. solid

I didn't like the helmets either. I like the UH or a cougar head with fangs.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Helmets were def. whack

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. solid

Texas Tech's starting QB is injured, won't play against UH.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

14. solid

Coogs get no respect in the polls. Still 25 in AP, not even in the top 25 in coaches poll.

15. MystikArkitect

Struggled vs unranked UTSA. I was shocked they were ranked at all.

Going to be tough to get much higher than 17 or so with a cupcake schedule.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Did they.. Deserve respect?

They looked like butt out there.

Utsa may prove to be good but I think we got what we deserved.

17. solid

Probably not, but I think UTSA is really, really good. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat UT. UH is notorious for bad starts, Saturday will be a better measure.