1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

No, it isn't.. That's what articles want you to think. (pretty large delta there too)

Registered EV vehicles in CA: 563,070 (most of any State)

https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10962#:~:text=The scale of the axis,approximately 39% of EVs nationwide.

Total Vehicles in CA as of 2015: 29,830,797

https://www.energy.ca.gov/data-repo...summary-california-vehicle-and-transportation

I was actually way off. I was looking at new vehicle registration.

The number is actually closer to .01%.

#1261 Roscoe Arbuckle, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  2. Buck Turgidson

Whatever you say, man, just carry on.

Sajan likes this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

It's data from the State of California. I posted the links so you don't even have to search.

4. Major

Major Member

You might need to go back to 4th grade math again.

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

Sorry. It was late. (wasn't drinking, though)
    1.88731%

Still an insanely small percentage of CA vehicles.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Try again.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

563,070 / 29,830,797 = 1.887545947%. I chose to round the 563,070 number down last time...

Regardless, Buck said it was 12-18% which is obviously inaccurate.

8. KingCheetah

Nope.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yep.

You can go the other way, also.

29,830,797 x 1.887545947% = 563,071 (which simply means my calculator ran out of digits to make it exact.

Another easily rudimentary way to look at it: 1% of 29.8M is 298k. 2% is 596k. Doesn't take a genius to figure out it isn't 12-18%.

#1270 Roscoe Arbuckle, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  11. KingCheetah

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

The average car is kept for 12 years. Estimates are that even in California, ICE cars will be the majority driven cars until about 2050 - that's 27 years from now. A lot can change in that time. For instance, the amount of new power added to the grid to accommodate EV charging only needs to equal the amount added from 1990-2000. So we have 27yrs to add the same amount of power that was added in a 10yr period.

Just last week, then California legislature passed AB 2700 which provides funding for wide-spread grid planning and investments to meet state goals to ready the Power supply for the EV transition.

Even if new power comes from fossil fuel power plants, it's important to realize that power plants are 3X more efficient with fossil fuels than ICE cars. So if fleets of cars use power from a fossil fuel power plant, there is significantly less carbon emissions released into the atmosphere.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I am not worried about EV's load on grid at all in the long term.

The technology of V2G (vehicle two grid) already exists. Having more EVs plugged into the grid will be stabilizing rather than destabilizing. The technology just need to mature and receive mass adoption.

Most people maybe only uses 10-20% of their battery capacity in an average day. That means there will be gagawatt-hours of energy just sitting there at any given time. I bet most people would be happy to 'sell' the energy during peak load (4pm-9pm) and have it returned to them in the middle of the night in the night when demand is lower or next morning when there is excess solar energy.

People are willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a whole house generator. It would be an easy upsell to install smart EVSE has bi-directional charging technology that can power your house for a day or two in the case of a power outage.

DFWRocket and jiggyfly like this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Props for the name. LOL. Electrollite. I was talking about this in another thread. I always wondered if there would be a market for resto-moding cars, especially classic cars, but with an electric conversion. Yeah, sacrilege, but whatever. It'd be nice to cruise in a Mercury lead sled or Tri-Five chevy, but with an electric motor and modern interior tech.

I think I posted about this earlier in this thread, but damn, I love this even though it'll probably cost a ton, get terrible mileage and break down like a Dodge. :D :

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ford's moving in that direction with the Lightning.

Deckard and jchu14 like this.
  17. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I don't think any of us are prepared for the changes coming in the next decade or so. Globally, we need to triple the amount of electricity between now and 2050 just to keep up with the demand for air-conditioning. Add on EVs and other uses and we're probably talking a much larger increase. Production and grids will be completely redesigned, solar panels will be on all new roofs, and who knows what else? Certainly ICE rigs are dead men walking and I think it will go faster than we expect. On the climate side, we're in a freefall with no way to steer into a glide path. That will drive responses both at the individual and governmental levels. Since the current oil/gasoline industry is built on volume, when that volume decreases prices will go up and the death spiral commences. Plan accordingly, You don't want to be the last guy pulling up to the last gas station.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

Most estimates state we wouldn't run out for more than 100 years. Nothing wrong at researching new alternatives, but wind and solar are current busts.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

why not? If I convert to methanol I can make my own fuel out of anything. Way more renewable than coal cars.