1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we still the "United" States of America?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sajan, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

Just curious because it's crazy how divided people are these days.
    It doesn't matter what the topic is or crisis is...someone's blaming the other 50%.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hmm. The Balkanization of America... We aren't there yet but it seems like that's the extrapolated projection of where America is heading.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think a more accurate title would be the Mixed States of America. Meaning we have black and white political and governing ideologies mixed up in every state, and you can’t just undo that and displace half of the country.

But yes we are a family of two fathers. One is antidemocratic based on the ideology of a monarchy/legacy ruling and the other wants to be a pluralistic fee society.

The issue though is the deep mixture of those ideologies in pretty much every state. Especially huge states like Texas, and Florida. If Texas seceded and became a right wing autocracy that the right wants it to be, you’d have either half of the country exiting (leaving the country in a crisis economically) or the other half of the country ruling with an iron fist and forcing the other half into submission which would leave to a likely civil war with other countries likely getting involved.

So yeah… Texas is a good example of the country as a whole. We are all mixed up and either we can figure out how to live with each other or eventually we are all going to kill each other. The current path is unsustainable without a recommitment to a shared set of values that right now don’t exist.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

get off the internet and take a walk outdoors. it will clear your head

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd unite with Os anyday.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm not even united with myself

Corrosion likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

This dismisses a lot of real world experiences a lot of posters here have with MAGA hats. When I go to the real world and interact with "real" people I know, I still draw the same conclusions.

I actually wonder if you are a product of being in a liberal bubble always surrounded by liberal students making you have blind spots for entire MAGA communities.

subtomic and Sajan like this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The states are currently still in a union with and subordinate to the federal government, so yes, the name is still valid. It was never intended to indicate unity of purpose among individuals.

Wasn't around then, put pretty sure the decade after the Civil War was at least this rancorous, and we mostly managed to get past that.

Corrosion and TheresTheDagger like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I actually wonder if you ever post anything not analyzing other posters’ psyches

11. fchowd0311

Nah that might be the narcissism in you believing you are the center of the world. You can look at my past 30 posts of you went and count how many of them are analyzing the psyches of other posters.

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

narcissism is thinking someone would go back and look at your last 30 posts to ground truth your claim

Corrosion likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Or believing that every time I post it's about you. Isn't that a failure of object permanence? I don't exist unless I'm responding to you?

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

The melting pot is boiling over…

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just did it. It took 30 seconds from inception to completion and I don't really care one way or the other. Just wanted to see how difficult it theoretically would be.

The amount of effort required is negligible and incidental.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I only ride with INSIDE THE LOOP now (sans Fertitta - he's the first I'd roll on in a Walking Dead survival camp scenario). But the cities in just TX alone that make the money don't even get to run the state. It's a bunch of old whites propped up on votes from Longview, TX and districts carved to look like Weinstein's penis. Thx

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you're a better man

18. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The United States hasn't been unified to a significant degree since the immediate aftermath of 9/11. The US has probably had varying degrees of division throughout most of its history.

Some of our recent division is natural, but much of it is manufactured. Division in the US is beneficial and lucrative to a lot of powerful entities in this country.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is not 50/50, it is more like 65-35% left leaning, but their are about 15-20% white nationaist bigots that are the noisiest and whiniest...which make it seem like that.

DD

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya. I am not sure what going outside is supposed to do.
    I interact with plenty of people from all walks of life.
    I drew the same conclusion.
    Everything is looked through a picture political lens…

fchowd0311 likes this.