1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Speaking of IVF clinics, are red States banning those too?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Hopefully.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bush indirectly made it a national issue two decades when he banned research using embryonic stem cells, and those precious embryos were already slated for the trash pile from IVF facilities.

Is willful ignorance a free pass for these states?

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So... women who want to have a child (you know, the opposite of abortion) shouldn't have an opportunity to give birth if they have issues getting pregnant?

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yes, that is the official Republican position in Texas. It will continue as long as Republicans are elected across the country.

7. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...sounds like that's the way God intended it...;)

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. StupidMoniker

Sure they can. They can try treatments to increase their fertility, or they can engage in a modified version of IVF in which only one embryo is created and implanted. Alternatively, if they want a child they can explore surrogacy or adoption. Creating 10 embryos and destroying 9 of them is not really the opposite of abortion, it is just 9 abortions in the quest to have a child.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya this reminds me about that post I made explaining how some people especially religious people were taught since childhood that life is valuable without any reasoning beside circular logic(life is valuable because God created it). While non religious households would probably teach concepts like empathy first and the child will naturally form the conclusion that life is valuable instead of being hand held to that conclusion with merely a argument that God created it and that's why.

Hence why the addiction to embroyes being more important than a capable willing mother just having a healthy human to raise.

dmoneybangbang and rocketsjudoka like this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Wonder if republicans would allow child tax credits on frozen embryos. Need to raise welfare queens to the next level.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Philosophical question here. Should an IvF created embryo be considered a creation of God?

I’ve heard some discussion from religious people that IVF should be banned in general because it’s not a natural creation. That if someone is infertile that is God’s will.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's another example of an arbitrary value to life rather than basing that value on empathy.

The life when it's born should be valued because it's a conscious human with feelings, desires etc.

God creating it or not creating it shouldn't make a difference whether to have empathy for a conscious sentient being.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks for the response realized I probably should’ve directed that question @StupidMoniker or other posters who believe life begins at conception.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. StupidMoniker

God created the universe and gave us free will. What we do with that free will is our own decision. Other than making the universal conditions that allow for conception, I don't see God taking a direct hand in the creation of babies. Therefore, an embryo created by adding sperm to an egg with a penis inside a vagina is no more or less valuable than one created by adding sperm to an egg with a pipette in a lab.
    We do all sorts of things to overcome nature. We don't live in caves, we build housing. We don't just graze from naturally occurring food sources, we have agriculture. We don't just rely on our bodies and immune system to protect from injury and disease, we have medicine. IVF is no more or less natural than farming.

rocketsjudoka and JumpMan like this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thank you for the response. Not much to debate here but curious about it from philosophical standpoint.

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton fled home to avoid subpoena, affidavit says

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton ran out of his house and jumped into a truck driven by his wife, a state senator, to avoid being served a subpoena to testify Tuesday in an abortion access case, according to court documents.

A process server wrote in an affidavit that he was attempting to deliver the federal court subpoena Monday at Paxton's home and ultimately had to leave the document on the ground. He said the Republican avoided him for more than an hour from inside his house, then dashed toward the truck and the couple drove off.

Paxton, who is facing a variety of legal troubles as he seeks to win a third term in November, said he avoided the server out of safety concerns and said the news media should be ashamed for reporting on what happened.

"It's clear that the media wants to drum up another controversy involving my work as Attorney General, so they're attacking me for having the audacity to avoid a stranger lingering outside my home and showing concern about the safety and well-being of my family," Paxton wrote on Twitter Monday night.

On Tuesday, a judge hearing the lawsuit by nonprofit groups that want to help Texans pay for abortions out of state granted Paxton's request to quash the subpoena. The attorney general wrote in court documents that he and his wife were "accosted" by the process server and the judge also granted Paxton's request to seal the affidavit, which had been publicly accessible for hours.

Ernesto Martin Herrera said in the affidavit that he arrived at Paxton's home in the Dallas suburb on McKinney Monday morning and knocked on the front door, which had a window in it. Paxton could initially be seen approaching the door but then turned back. Republican Sen. Angela Paxton opened it, telling the process server her husband was on the phone, according to the court document, which was first reported by The Texas Tribune.

More than an hour later, the affidavit says, Paxton walked out of the garage but then turned around and ran back inside when Herrera walked up the driveway and called his name. A few minutes after that, Angela Paxton allegedly came out, opened the rear driver-side door of a truck in the driveway, got in the driver's seat and started the truck.

"A few minutes later I saw Mr. Paxton RAN (sic) from the door inside the garage towards the rear door behind the driver side," Herrera wrote, adding that Paxton ignored his calls that he was there to serve the attorney general legal documents. Herrera said he left the subpoena on the ground beside the truck but the couple drove off without taking it.

Paxton was indicted in 2015 on state securities fraud charges but is yet to face trial amid long delays over where the felony case should be heard and payment for the special prosecutors. The FBI is investigating Paxton over allegations of corruption that eight of Paxton's own deputies leveled at him two years ago. The Texas state bar has also brought a lawsuit seeking to discipline Paxton for allegedly misleading the U.S. Supreme Court in his suit seeking to challenge President Biden's victory in the 2020 election.

Paxton has broadly denied wrongdoing and remained popular among GOP voters. He faces Democratic challenger Rochelle Garza, a first-time candidate and former ACLU attorney, in the November election.

"Texans deserve an AG who will uphold the law, not run from it," Garza wrote on Twitter Tuesday.

Here's the subpeona.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That is too ****ing weird, even for Paxton. Running away like a scared little rabbit. My apologies to the rabbits out there for using the analogy.

Whoops! Just saw that @T_Man beat you to it. He started a thread!

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so why do you have issues with abortions isn't that an act of free will?

Why are you burying your own lead?

20. StupidMoniker

We also have the free will to steal, rob, rape, murder, maim, genocide, and any other atrocity one can imagine. It doesn't make doing those things good, nor should they be legal. The very fact of free will is what enables us to make the choice to do right or to do wrong.