1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Stuck on the Volcano Serpent in Elden Ring. Died like 15 times in a row. Dickin me.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I hate YouTubing how to beat a boss, but without doing it for the ones that stump me these games would be unplayable for me.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This seems like a good place for this. One of the legends of gaming, and one of the brightest humans on the planet, John Carmack was interviewed by Lex Fridman recently. This is an awesome interview that goes over his early games, relationship with Romero, Occulus, his friendship with Musk, etc. The guy is a great interview. You ask him a question and he just runs with it, so if you've got 5 hours to spare (lol). The bookmarks are in the video description if you want to cut to anything specific. Seriously, it's great :

peleincubus, RC Cola and Yung-T like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Currently playing season 3 of tribes of midgard. I enjoy it quite a bit.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Saw this making the rounds earlier, but I haven't had the time to check any of it out yet. I admit I'm not the biggest fan of that YouTube channel (mostly due to the people being interviewed, less so the interviewer himself), but from what I understand, that's not really an issue with this interview. Probably some things I'll disagree with Carmack about, but sounds like he's less of an ass about it than others in similar positions.

6. RC Cola

Here's a double post because Jim Ryan is a terrible CEO.

I upgraded my PC recently. 12 core CPU, 32GB, RTX 3070, 1.21 Gigawatts, etc. I managed to play some new things with that:

Star Citizen - Checked in on this. Much better than last time I played (the mobiglass seems mostly functional now), but still not super fun to play IMO. It is a game that is incredibly immersive and also a huge pain in the ass to play sometimes. I spent 20-30 minutes trying to land my ship, mostly because I couldn't see the damn indicator telling me where to land. These can all be polished (and should be), but I don't know when that will happen...if ever. Also, this seemed to take up over 20GB of ram. Good thing I got 32GB. I know apps/games try to take as much RAM as you have, and this is an Alpha, but geez.

Elden Ring - Yay I can finally play this. Yes, it is pretty refreshing in some ways. I'm still kinda burned out on Souls games to be honest, but the open-world mechanics do add something new (and From Software seemingly did a good job with it vs simply drop the player in a huge open level).

Starsector - Yep, playing more of this. Really good and I can actually get 60 FPS now.

Elite Dangerous (Odyssey) - Played a bit of this after not playing in years. I think it is much more fun than Star Citizen, but I think it could use a lot more love too. I also still get little panic attacks for some reason every time I jump into a new star system. I guess that's more on me than the game.

X4 - I really want to like this game, but after letting it bake for quite some time, it still seems buggy and lacking polish. Played for 20 minutes or so, and my AI pilot somehow got us stuck INSIDE of an asteroid (clipping through). Guess it needs more time in the oven.

Star Valor - Played this when it was in Early Access, but it is now out. It is a super simple indie game (pretty sure my machine can play it at 500+ FPS), but I kinda like it.

I have a few other games I'll want to check out once I'm done with some of these.

7. MystikArkitect

15? Those are rookie numbers.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the original devs' grandkids are developing that game now. :D

I think I have enough of a system to run that even with my "archaic" GTX 1080, but I'll probably wait until later this year or next to build a new PC with something like a 4070 or 4080 and play it.

I completely forgot about this game. It always looked interesting, but I always stick to Steam games for some reason, so I never bought it and forgot about it. I was waiting for Gal Civ IV to release and decided not to get it until it got on Steam... if it didn't, then, oh well, I may still buy it in the future, but no rush.

I used to play this game a ton before the Odyssey release. It's not for everybody and can get boring, but it's one of those "lose yourself out there games". And yes, there was always a fear of jumping to other star systems that scared the hell out of me. And that was even before the Thargoids really made an appearance. I was so scared to encounter them, I never even went in any direction I knew they'd be. I've never fought one. LOL. Unfortunately the Odyssey update was/is a disaster from what I've heard with tons of bugs, and the game lost a lot of the old school players. I may fire it up again for giggles, but whenever I leave that game and come back, my biggest fear is docking a ship through the "mailslot". Well, the larger ships anyway. It's a nightmare because you've forgotten all the controls, so I usually buy a cheap ship and practice. The other aspect of the game is there's a lot of "not much to do" out there and openness combined with repetitive missions. It's about the biggest grind of a game i've ever played.

This one seems interesting, so I'm going to keep my eye on it. I just added it to my wishlist to see how it goes from a reviews standpoint and to do some more research. Thanks!

What kind of system did you end up building? I keep reeding rumors about nVidia possibly throwing out price cuts on the current gen cards in a couple of weeks possibly - but only rumors - so they can clear out more inventory before the next gen stuff arrives.

RC Cola likes this.
  9. RC Cola

I remember pledging enough money to get the the Constellation during the funding stage, and I thought I could use it to fly with some of my friends/co-workers. At this point, I think I'll be inviting my kids/grandkids.

Yeah, I think the game is supposed to run on PS4 and XBO consoles (albeit not well), so I think any decent PC should be able to run it decently (my other PC was from 2015ish, so not-so-decent). The devs aren't great technical wizards, so not the most optimized, but should still run fairly well I think. Not a bad idea to wait though.

I don't know why the guy hasn't put it out on Steam. I could sorta understand it years ago, but with Early Access and everything else, I think it would do well there. I think he wants to wait until it hits 1.0 (at .95.1 now), but his reasons in general for avoiding Steam don't seem super reasonable to me. *shrug*

Haha we sound pretty similar in the way we played this game. I feel like I barely played it, but pretty sure I have 100+ hours logged with it (albeit mostly all from many years ago). I don't know if this is new, but I did buy a docking computer that handles landing *and* launching. I was worried about getting it wrong (and had to do the tutorial + practice with a cheap ship too!), but those make it easier at least. This and Star Citizen both have the problem of being incredibly difficult to revisit after you're away from the game for a while.

I know Odyssey is apparently a disaster, though I went ahead and bought it (on sale) in support of what they did previously. I haven't played it long enough to really use any of the new features, but I haven't encountered any bugs or major issues yet at least.

Yeah, it's not a masterpiece or anything (not IMO anyway), but it is pretty fun and scratches that itch for me. Much simpler to pick up and play than Elite, Star Citizen, etc., yet still enough complexity to justify sinking a good amount of hours. I didn't realize it was priced at $25 on Steam though. Thought it was like $15-$20, though I'm sure it goes on a decent sale from time to time. $25 isn't terrible I guess (relative to $70 console games), but feels a bit more than I'd recommend.

Oh I didn't build it. I'm too lazy for that. I basically got this:
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/632836/powerspec-g900-gaming-pc
    Someone on eBay was selling it for ~$1300, and it was barely used I think (seems fairly new-ish to me). I went ahead with it since I figured even with all the potential price drops and new hardware incoming, this was a decent deal. That, and when I decide it's time for an upgrade, I'm too impatient to wait things out. :D

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but docking computers are for rookies! lol. Once you get docking down with practice, you really don't need a docking computer (and from what I understand, there's a possibility those even fail), but my problem is I forget all the keys/controls after being away for a few months and if you're piloting one of those Anacondas, those things are so big, you have no room for error trying to fly through the mailslot. That actually scares me the most about going back to the game. I mean really, they couldn't make those landing openings larger? lol. I may return to the game - who knows, but the Odyssey reviews have been a disappointment. Oh well, at least I can at least say I got to Beagle Point before fleet carriers were introduced and then bought a fleet carrier. LOL. I just looked and I've dumped over 2300 hours into this game. A lot of that was probably done during the past couple of years during COVID lockdowns, and really a lot of it is just me sitting around doing nothing while the game ran, but still. Damn. For a while, that was the only game I played almost daily for a few years. lol.

RC Cola likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Been playing Into the Breach again since the update came out with new mechs, enemies, pilots, tile types, mech upgrades and missions. There’s so much value in the update that I would have paid for it.

My favorite game that has come out in the last 10 years. I have 600 hours in it (granted, some were just leaving the game sitting while I ate or worked) and I also played it a good 50 hours on the Switch.

It’s also available on iOS and Android free with your Netflix subscription.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Anyone have a Steam Deck? I'm considering one. Thoughts?

13. RC Cola

Started playing another game, continuing with the indie space game theme:

Starcom: Nexus - I don't enjoy the gameplay mechanics of this as much as some of the others, but I think this game does a much better job with visuals and writing. From a gameplay perspective, you're just visiting all these random worlds, 50% of which offer nothing, and maybe 30%-40% are basically like one-time treasure chests that unlock "loot" (resources and/or research points). I feel like the writing elevates this gameplay loop quite a bit, so you enjoy exploration despite the rather dull mechanics (IMO).The "Factions" are also pretty interesting IMO (relative to most games). I think the game is a bit clunky in places, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit despite all of that. I think the guy (team?) is making a new one, which should be available soon (in closed beta now). This game is on sale at Steam for like $8

Xerobull likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pretty much everything I've read is positive -- its major criticisms seem to be battery life which is poor especially on demanding games, the 7" LCD display too small/ should be OLED, and expensive for the model with adequate memory and power. There is another company making a similar handheld with an 8" OLED and I think that is going to be the sweet spot for displays moving forward.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sounds interesting - I may look into it during Steam's Winter Sale. Unless there's a really good game out, that's about the only time I buy games.

I just started playing a game called Interstellar Space Genesis. If anybody wants to play a game like the old school classic Master of Orion series, this may be it. The only negative I have with it is you can't build massive fleets and that's kind of boring. lol.

One thing I've noticed about a lot of the games I play nowadays, no matter the genre, is that most of them can be really fun to play, but then you realize they're kind of superficial and repetitive... no depth to the gameplay and really no real reason to do another playthrough for the most part. That sucks. It kind of screams of games that get rushed out.

RC Cola and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

what are some chill games to play to unwind for at night? i'm looking for some to just pick away at for a bit each night, nothing to intense/challenging, i'm not trying to break my keyboard/controller and rage quitting lol

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Check these out (Some of my favorites):
    Hades - Sweet roguelite game, very well made
    Tribes of Midgard - Hybrid slasher / tower defense
    Vampire Survivors - incredibly simple yet addictive game
    Bloodstained Ritual of the Night - Classic Metroidvania
    Divinity Original Sin and sequel - A+ Classic RPG
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker and sequel - A+ RPG with more kingdom management elements
    Bioshock Infinite - FPS - oldie but an incredible game
    Forced Showdown - Hybrid roguelite with some unique deck building tactical elements
    Dishonored - Stealthy action game with incredible world building
    Horizon Zero Dawn - Action game, less stealthy, also incredible world building
    The Last Spell - very addictive tower defense
    Metal Gear Solid V - Mission based action game, great story and characters, some base building
    Shadow of Morodor/ War - Great action LOTR game, nice story, very unique "Nemesis" system
    Valheim - simple survival, base building game
    Witcher 2/3 - Masterpiece action RPG
    Wolfenstein - great FPS / story
    The Witness - Stright puzzle game
    Xcom 2 - Fun squad based turn based tactical game / base building
    Watchdogs - GTA clone with emphasis on hackers / hacking things.

#197 larsv8, Sep 4, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    RC Cola likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I finally started playing Kingdom Come : Deliverance a few nights ago after buying it eons ago. I put it on hold because I started reading about some bugs and glitches in the game. I've encountered a few that did detract from the gameplay, but nothing game-ending yet. I have to say, the game is pretty incredible in how it tries to immerse you in the story. I generally don't care much about the story in most games (with a few notable exceptions), but this game forces you to almost live the story of the character you're playing. And then if you get its DLC "A Woman's Lot", that becomes bittersweet as there were, at least for me, a few "damn" moments directly related to just the plot as it forces you to play as a completely different character in the story. But doing so is like viewing your character's timeline through the eyes of another NPC. It's bittersweet in a way, though, because it basically puts your main character's story/main quest on hold while you play as this other character. Many people didn't like it because it's not an easy game and at times the DLC is brutal in terms of difficulty. This is magnified by the save system which can be annoying since, in order to save a game, you actually need a potion. lol.

The only negative I've seen to this game so far has been a few crashes and glitches here and there along with that save system (I guess), and the combat system seems a bit hokey so far. Also when the character in the aformentioned-DLC tells you her story is going to be a long one, believe her, because you become her and start the DLC... and there's no escaping it. You'll be playing for hours as her. I don't mind, but there are several stories on Reddit and elsewhere where people are pissed at this and have rage-quit the game. I honestly don't mind where I (accidentally) started the DLC despite the long detour since it made me appreciate the storyline to that point even more. All-told, though, this has been a pretty damn good game so far. Hopefully I'm nearing the end of the DLC (which has been good, somewhat difficult, but possibly needlessly long and errand-intensive), and can get back to playing the main character whose story has barely begun from what I can tell.

RC Cola and Yung-T like this.
  19. RC Cola

Funnily enough, I just started a game that seems to match this description exactly:

(think it is ~$10 at the Humble store)

Only played about 20 minutes, so maybe the difficulty spikes, but I get the impression that's not the kind of game they wanted to make. Really enjoying it so far.

(think I mentioned this game before, but I never actually played it until recently)

20. RC Cola

So I put ~30 hours into this game and just finished it. Really, really enjoyed it. I think it has some flaws, and I think I would have enjoyed the game more if it was closer to 15-20 hours, even though I generally enjoyed my entire playthrough. I guess the game already got tons of praise, but I really didn't expect to come away so impressed by it.

Invisible Fan and Yung-T like this.