1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Click is new GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dockerland, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Having a manager that saw eye to eye with Click would likely fix the CF situation once Chas's finger heals. Though, it was looking like Baker was finally giving in up on the Meyers/Dubon platoon. Mancini playing 1B would likely improve 1B though this is likely a much smaller improvement than giving up on Meyers and Dubon in CF for this season.

Astros really need Diaz to heal. Brantley being out will likely mean Diaz or Mancini in LF.

The Beard likes this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Luhnow now owns a Soccer team in Spain and another one in Mexico; hence he’s keeping himself busy. But I am still upset that the Astros fired him. The core of this team is still all Luhnow guys.

I’m hoping Click is able to keep this thing rolling, but so far team Luhnow is still carrying the load of the Astros.

RKREBORN likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Luhnow got himself fired. There was no way the league would allow him to stay as a GM, anywhere.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He embarrassed Crane. There was NO WAY Crane will/would hire him back.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

8.7 out of 20.1 fwar on the pitching staff this season came from players signed by Click. But only 1.6 fwar out of 23 in the position player side were signed by Click.

Yainer Diaz is the first prospect acquired by Click to reach the majors for the Astros. **** takes time. Click was wise enough not to mess with a good thing.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Every time I see people complain "this is still Luhnow's team", it's like they want Click to tear it down and rebuild in his own image just because.

At this point in Luhnows tenure his farm hadn't produced a single big league player. He had the benefit of inheriting Dallas Keuchel, George Springer, Jose Altuve, JD Martinez, Teoscar Hernandez, and multiple other top 100 prospects. He would also have the first overall pick 3 straight years,a ton of spending money and a green light to trade anything that wasn't bolted down.

I don't know how Click will fare with generating talent, but the Luhnow comparisons are absurd given the stark difference in goals and resources for accumulating prospects

jiggyfly, Major, cmlmel77 and 4 others like this.
  7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Agree with the posters saying it’s not fair to compare Click’s guys in the team vs Lunhow’s for a multitude of reasons. Not the least of which being the loss of draft picks Click has had to navigate because of the Lunhow regime.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Worth noting that 5 of the Astros top 10 prospects in mlb.com are guys Click acquired.

Marteen and Bregatron like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would hope so? How long do top prospects typically last on any given top 10 list?

Granted, Click has been hampered by lack of first round picks in 2 of those 3 years... if he had those, there's a good chance he'd have all the top prospects.

10. vince

vince Member

I’m not complaining. All I’m saying is that Luhnow did such an amazing job that even after he was let go after the 2019 season, the Astros still have a huge identity put together by Luhnow. I’d be an idiot if i wanted Click to fail, I am very pleased he’s made solid moves so far; plus Click is a very smart guy too.

it sucks that our GM who helped turn around the worst period of Astros baseball was let go so unceremoniously. As some of you guys said, according to you, Luhnow embarrassed himself.

Luhnow built it right, and Click is making the right moves to keep in moving forward.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

My God, at this point I would hope so

Should be more than half honestly

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Would be if they would've had first round picks in 2020 and 2021

Bregatron likes this.
  13. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

And even morese if they would've had their second round picks in those two years, as well.

I mean, no picks in the first two rounds in his first two drafts (including Covid times that may have hurt player evaluations with cancelled seasons) and having a team in the World Series hunt these last few years so more than likely there wouldn't be too many trades off the major league roster for prospects, I'm actually fine with how many Click acquired prospects are in the organization top 10.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. The Beard

Yep, no doubt

Just saying it’s not reallly an accomplishment at this point of his tenure to have a majority of our top prospects to be guys he brought in

Luhnow was awesome, but his guys ain’t gonna last forever

15. The Beard

My take on Click so far is it looks like his ability to find amateur talent to bring in is good, which is great for the long term for sure

His ability to use our assets to build the best possible mlb roster in a year we are as good as anyone doesn’t seem to be a strength though

Bregatron likes this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Click the Last 2 years didn't have a 1st or 2nd Round Picks

4 Franchise Players were Lost the last 2 years, that is a Huge Setback.

Thankfully the Astros signed some Latin Players during that time.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So a vast majority of the WAR is from Luhnow players. Click might turn out to be good. We know Luhnow was great.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Pretty much too soon, except he hasn't been horrible which shows up pretty quickly (Ed Wade).