1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell traded to the Cavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by prodigy08, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh definitely not, none of the rookies in the class were anywhere near finished products. I think a few showed enough to have people excited about their futures though. Mobley is certainly one of those. I think his floor is higher than most players ceilings.

Believe It! and rpr52121 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Cavs are going to be a problem.

3. dmoneybangbang

Kudos to the Cavs. Drafted well and made moves when the timing was right. Mitchell fits like a glove on their roster.

Very interested in seeing where they go from here.

I think Knicks dodged a bullet because the roster fit isn’t there.

dawesome likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea why people keep celebrating all these picks, those picks will be below lotto picks and just look at OKC with all the picks they have had.

Just look at how long of took Boston to relevant with all of their picks.

Yeah Utah has gotten a bag, but there is a scenario where none of the picks they have gotten will be in the lottery or top 10.

5. xaos

xaos Member

I was a small baby at that time so my opinion on that team means squat but at a quick glance looking at mostly first round exits and 1 conf finals exit I'd say yeah,... next 3 years this Cavs team is equal to or greater than that team. If slightly less, still reason for Cavs fans to enjoy and be excited. This year I'd expect about a first or second round exit but they're young and will grow together.

If it were the Rockets roster I'd hope for more than that lineup and I think in 5 years we'll be better, but I'm strictly thinking for Cavs fans

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

The Cavaliers defense went to crap after Allen went down. Mobley was not a defensive anchor last year it was Allen. Mobley played the Horry weak side shot blocker role for the Cavs last year but when he became the 5 he wasn’t able to perform the same way.

All of that being said this was a rookie after all and to expect anything else was foolish. The only reason I commented on your post is because most people heard the narrative and gobbled it up that he was this legendary defensive big last year when in reality he was sometimes playing the 3 and most of the time playing the 4.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I could see someone like Jaylen Brown being one of the next targets, not quite an Allstar starter yet.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, yes I guess but you could package some of the picks for another pick.

Donovan Mitchell was selected 13th by the Nuggs out of Louisville but traded for the 24th pick and Lyles.

He spent 5 yrs with the Jazz.

Personally I also do not want teams to have an automatic way to the Conference Finals......may it be with drafting, FA or trades.....there is no real fairness.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i wondered if we shoulda tried to get in on this... i like Mitchell and guys of his age and caliber arent frequently available...
    but i guess next off season is a better time table to start taking major swings... hedging bets vs next potential draft pick...

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

How is it any different than before?

1 conference finals appearance in the last 24 years.

They will suck for 3-5 years. And most likely become another perpetual 1st or 2nd round exit again like they just were for the last 20+ years.

ElPigto likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Mobley's shooting 25% from 3 and Allen can't hit them, it's going to dip Mitchell's efficiency. I don't think that line up can stay on the floor long unless Mobley has improved. Can't survive long in the modern NBA with 2 non-shooters on the floor.

Next step has to be dealing one of Mobley or Allen (likely Allen) for a SF with good wingspan and can nail open 3's. Would target OG or someone similar if I were them. Very nice roster, really well built. Shooting and point of attack defense are major areas of concern though.

12. i3artow i3aller

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I won’t say the Cavs are title-bound, but they a better chance of coming out of the East than quite a few teams who finished in front of them.

I think top-5 in the East is possible. Some are underselling Mitchell, somewhat. He’s a borderline superstar and made the Jazz a little more competitive than they should’ve been. It’s a more impactful match than New York.

They could make some noise in the playoffs. If Mobley reaches his ceiling, they move further up much faster.

14. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

But trading all three= I D I O T

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

**** the Jazz.

Why is this in the GARM, again?

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just dropped in to say:

**** the Jazz.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

The year is 2026. You are a projected first round draft prospect. You look at the mock drafts and see half of the picks are owned by either OKC or Utah.

I'd consider taking a gap year.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Rubio is there telling Mitchell to learn how to guard guys from behind

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Vanderbilt has talent

Agbagi and Kessler are rookies, so who knows how they might pan out? I am guessing they get decent minutes?

But yeh, apart from that... the players aren't the point, it is the picks that count. And the lack of established talent means the Jazz can go hard in the Wemby/ Scoot sweepstakes.

Teams own draft picks are an underrated return in this kind of trade, but they shouldn't be discounted (ie, we don't have Green/ Smith if we get moderate talent return for Harden)

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not for the western conference.