1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I saw pics but just now heard the video for the first time. I was skeptical, but that sounds really cool. Reminds me of that old Charlie Sheen movie The Wraith. Hopefully it's not the last system of its kind.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This thing is super cool. But I can’t help but compare the fake exhaust sound to those fake balls they put in neutered male dogs.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

:eek:

Not even gonna google that.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Xerobull

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Thanks, I just ordered some neuticlesUltraPlus with ScarRetard and Epididymus for my cat.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Misleading title. They've only asked residents to not charge during peak hours from 4pm to 9pm.

And thats ok because most EV owners don't charge during peak hours anyway. Even if you plug in at 7pm when you get home, most EV's are programmed to automatically wait until off-peak hours to begin charging. You can override this easily, but most people don't. The cool thing with EV's is that unlike your TV or computer, they don't automatically draw power regardless of whether they are turned on or off. So you can plug them in and they won't draw power until they begin charging..after peak hours.

9. Xerobull

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

lul wot? EV's draw power 24x7. The difference is there isn't a giant ass battery pack sitting between the TV and outlet. You can buy a Tesla powerwall if you really wanted to do the same thing.

11. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Part of the problem with this is due to the fact the battery is no longer made by GM, but rather by another manufacturer combined with the fact it's a 10-year old Volt no longer under warranty. Most of these electric/hybrid batteries are expensive as hell to replace. I think even Bolts cost over $15k to replace them. I think Tesla batteries are something like $16k-$20+k not including labor. There are videos out there of Teslas asking for $20k+ to replace their batteries, too.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the battery warranties on a lot of these new electric vehicles. It's like they're backed for 100k miles or 8 years, which, for the price of replacement, isn't that great to me, but on top of that, they don't consider anything wrong with the battery until the it can't hold at least a 70% charge (at least for Tesla, not sure of the rest). That would make the already "meh" range damn-near putrid on most of these vehicles for longer-distance driving.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for 26k I'd have bought a new used car

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For $26k, you can buy a new Bolt EV. :D When they bought that Volt EV back around 2012, I'm guessing they cost around $40k new (assuming they bought it new).

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I think battery replacement depends on the vehicle. For example, if you're in a Prius, those are fairly cheap (in comparison) to replace - probably around $2-$3k tops. I think I recall reading Ioniqs may be around that price, too.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly, most ev people charge at night with drip and it's fine - if you're charging at 3 -6 when your HVAC is blasting, you're just doing it wrong.

19. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yes, but only 3% of cars in CA are EV. You think they'll be able to handle the other 97%, or roughly 1,849,000 in the next 12 1/2 years?

Ain't gonna happen.

20. Buck Turgidson

It's somewhere between 12-18%, as of the most recent numbers.