1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2022 NBA Draft/1-3] Jabari Smith Jr., F, Auburn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2022.

?

Do you like the selection of Jabari Smith?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2023.
  1. YES

89.7%
  2. NO

10.3%
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

For real. Some dude named Trey Murphy got first-team honors in 2021's summer league over Cade.

I get that ESPN needs to drum up some interest for clicks and eyeballs right now, since it's the lull between the end of the SL and the start of the regular season, but they should have really waited to ask the "best rookie in 5 years?" question until at least the halfway point of the season...

...and not right now, when all they have to go on is these rookies' performances against other unproven players.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lol what a joke; Chet, with his frame and durability concerns(he got freaking injured in a non NBA game!), is going to be better than Jabari. Ok lol

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sorry if this was already in this thread

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Im surprised you said some dude. Half the board wanted the Rockets to draft Trey Murphy last year. I'm pretty sure he may have had his own thread. Trey Murphy has legit potential. Worst case 3 and D player.

Corrosion, BigggReddd and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Looks more fluid and comfortable with his shooting motion than he was in summer league.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm just saying, for all the SL hype, he didn't exactly have a stellar regular season to match. My point is, take the opinions of ESPN "experts" and "analysts" with a grain of salt. To not even think that Jabari could be the best rookie in 5 years' time, is completely crazy.

Absolutely not trying to throw shade on Murphy at all. Rather, I'm just saying that there's not enough of a body of work (a couple of basically exhibition games against similar and/or inferior competition) to even entertain asking a "best in...?" question.

D-rock and RHU525 like this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Here is the reason I am optimistic about Jabari regardless of whether he develops handles to consistently / reliably attack close outs and or ISO. Jabari is a 6' 10 pure shooter with a high release point. Consider that for a moment and then ask yourself; how many NBA players can you count on to physically confront that? You might get a few successful contests, but ultimately whether that shot is good depends on how mentally pressured he feels shooting them. Add in savvy pump fakes and sidesteps (techniques that don't rely on high handling abilities) will pretty much guarantee good success for Jabari as a number 2 scoring option. Add on some potentially phenomenal NBA level defense and you have yourself a star already.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Jabari is a star. He has not played a single normal NBA game. At this point, anything is better than nothing meaning Bruno is still arguably the better "NBA player". He could easily bomb harder than Hiroshima, but I don't think he will. I believe he will quickly become our defensive leader while being at least a top flight stretch 4. I believe he will absolutely feast on kick outs from our wings and Sengun and unlike House / Tate, he will make those shots over and over.

Mathloom, Shark44 and robbie380 like this.
  8. comrade

comrade Member

:eek::eek::eek:

alethios, D-rock and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hope this man is cut from the Kobe cloth of "im going to make you pay" he should post this in his locker room and get pissed off before every single practice this is borderline disrespect!

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

BigggReddd and Shark44 like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol Keegan Murray. Might be retired in 5 years isn’t he like 36 years old?

BigggReddd and thedreamsteam like this.
  11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I could care less whether he’s the top performing rookie or not. Who can become a better player long term is the real question.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

Half serious asking. The 5yr prediction, was there one done in 2017 (5yrs ago)? If they had written one, be amusing to see the accuracy.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So we are worried about a poll where only 15 people voted??

coachbadlee likes this.
  14. alethios

alethios Member

Is my sarcasm meter broke? He just turned 22.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Jabari wasn’t even bad. I was very impressed.

Believe It! and i3artow i3aller like this.
  18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

yeah it’s no pressure when you play at a 24 hour fitness court.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I saw the summer games live. He looked very confused on the court.

I wanted Jabari from day 1 and when we got him, I was sold on Banchero more. I hope Jabari becomes a stud. I see him as a mega star or a flop.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Couldn’t disagree more. Offensively he didn’t hit his shots but he looked like he could step in and be the defensive leader from day 1. Poised is the word I’d use.

Corrosion, cmlmel77 and crose like this.