1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'm not getting the Diaz call up when Korey Lee is next in line

2. Viol8r

Viol8r Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Diaz will be C3 aka emergency catcher. Diaz will get most of his time at 1B and DH with possible time in LF.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He'll spend most of his time getting splinters on the bench.

The Beard, Stephen66 and No Worries like this.
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Anyone know what this means (from McTaggert)

An MRI done on Verlander’s right calf on Monday revealed fascial disruption, but no muscle fiber disruption.

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Click is about to have a press conference on this and their other moves.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Would be nice if the Astros could go on a nice 10 game win streak and just let Verlander rest it out .

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's a partial tear of the body material that attaches to and sometimes separates muscles

Depending on how deep and how must disruption there is, it can be a one week type of situation up to a couple of months

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Fascia is the connective tissue that surrounds the muscle. I don’t know if tear in the fascia is an actual diagnosis but not having an anomaly in the muscle is certainly a good thing.

11. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

At the risk of going tin foil hat, sometimes in baseball when you have a team sitting in a good place in the standings you wonder if these “injuries” are viewed (1) as an opportunity to rest stars for the playoffs, and (2) create roster spots to get a big league look at prospects. The timing of the Verlander injury, right before the September roster extension, makes one wonder

12. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Hoping for the best on JV.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I would have agreed if he didn't exit in the third inning of a game.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Gotta be the best case scenario… No muscle tear. No other major ligament or structural abnormalities. He is forced to rest 2 weeks since IL for pitchers is 15 days… rest he wouldn’t agree to do otherwise.

And undoubtedly his arm/elbow will benefit. Had he had the same time off in 2019, he likely has that extra gear in the tank we saw in the 2017 playoffs.

snowconeman22, BigM and jim1961 like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Teams clearly do this so I get where you are coming from. Teams don't have their ace walk off the mound in the 3rd inning of a start they are throwing zeros up in to do such a thing.
    I want to see Montero get a sore arm and see Whitley up, and then I'd like for Nerris to get a sore arm and see Whitley stay up. Both of those guys sore arms being fully healthy after 15 day rests of course and being back in the saddle for the last week of the season to get the cobwebs dusted out.

Astrodome likes this.
  16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Fascia is the tissue that surrounds the muscle fiber. If you have processed a deer you probably know it as silver skin.

17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Anyone able to listen in to the presser from Click for those of us at work? (All the glory to Christ).

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Im going to lean with extreme precaution based on pure speculation on my end and absolutely no idea what Justin Verlander feels like.

So that said… he looked totally fine walking off the field. He must have had some discomfort in his calf which is now revealed as fascial disruption which in of itself is meaningless as everybody has fascial disruption in multiple places. His is presenting as pain which is a problem mostly because you don’t want him compensating his pitching motion to accommodate it. We have the luxury of an extra starter so why not let him rest for 15 days and work that thing out.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I feel bad for meyers but he was given ample time to get it going. Clearly he is better than his performance this year would indicate. His injury is the obvious issue. I really hope he is good to go for spring training and completely recovered. I hope he bounces back.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As long as this is fully clear within a few weeks this could certainly end up being a good thing. These 3 or 4 starts Verlander will miss is inconsequential to our regular season, and keeps his arm fresh.

A lot of days off, plenty of starters and some time to play around with our young pitchers