1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Audio book/podcast recommendations for my conservative father

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CCorn, Aug 28, 2022.

1. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Have you not turned him on to Joe Rogan?

3. Buck Turgidson

He has made it a point to say "no political stuff", and all of you jackf**ks keep ignoring it and....

Yall suck.

CCorn likes this.
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One of the first audio books I always recommend is The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Historical fiction combining the Chicago World’s Fair and the first USA serial killer.

I like anything by Grisham and Michael Connely.

Boy's Life by Robert McCammon

The Martian, Artemis and Hail Mary (in that order) by Andy Weir

The Sparrow and Children of God (in that order) by Mary Doria Russell

CCorn likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve liked the suggestions people have made and have made a list to look into.

Problem with my father is really all he does is: work, workout, work on his pool, golf, watch his grand kids, drink, and watch Fox News/ Oann.

I did get him a ping pong table with a ball feeder for something to do when he gets anxious around the house, which he’s enjoying. Now just trying to get him listening to things other than politics. It’s not healthy for ANYONE, regardless of beliefs, to make politics the only thing you consume.

7. Buck Turgidson

"The Greatest Game Ever Played" and "A Good Walk Spoiled" are the only golf books I've ever read, both highly recommended, but I can't help much after that.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

@Buck Turgidson read him a few synopses and he decided on A Painted House.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cormac Mccarthy books are really solid on audio books. I've both read and listened to the Border Trilogy and Blood Meridian.

The audio book of Blood Meridian is much easier to decipher. They are all well done. They are rugged enough to appeal to anyone. But especially people that grew up in any southwest border state will enjoy it even more.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Get him to post in the D&D.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Where is the problem? Sounds like a man who is pretty content with his life?

JumpMan likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

For audiobooks, I always found the Louis L'Amour audio books to be really well done.

bigdaddy, FranchiseBlade and CCorn like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

He can’t sleep at night because his anxiety has gotten so bad. And because all he digests is Fox News/NewsMax/OANN he truly believes the world is ending because of communist democrats.

Not sure if that classifies as “content with life”.

so…. I’m trying to get him more things to do other than rot his brain.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

May I ask, how old is he? Is your mother still alive?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

69 and yes.

16. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are so many shows to watch instead of Fox News. Does he like murder mysteries or police shows? I was forced into retirement and I have found watching police drama and sitcoms along with Dateline, Snapped and all the other shows I missed all these years while I was always working.
    I’m conservative and I can’t stand watching Fox News. I see where the angst comes from
    Good luck with your Dad, sounds like many retirees trying to adjust.

CCorn likes this.
  17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Get him anything Norm MacDonald related from his podcasts/tv show to his book Based on a True Story. Not a Memoir.

JumpMan likes this.
  18. TheresTheDagger

There are a few wonderful WWII based podcasts and of course some great baseball one's as well. Verlander's brother has one.

As mentioned by others, I would also heartily endorse any books/audiobooks by Erik Larson...I personally read "Issac's Storm" in 1 sitting. He has many great reads.

If a little fiction is something he might like, have him read any of the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly. My mom (who is also retired) loves his books and they were made into a Amazon Prime series they are so popular.

Also, I recommend watching Poker as a total escape...of course only if he's into that.

#38 TheresTheDagger, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    bigdaddy and CCorn like this.
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

He has other shows he’s watching. I’m more looking for things to do while he’s on the go. The reason is started looking for audio books/podcasts for him is he said whenever his anxiety gets too bad he enjoys going on a short drive and listening to the radio.

Now when he’s feeling anxious he’s been listening to the books I’ve bought him while he walks his dogs and he said it’s been helping. I’m just looking for more content until he starts finding his own. I have to spoon feed him right now, but I think after a few books he will get addicted and start finding them on his own. I added him to my audible account and have plenty of extra credits.

bigdaddy and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This might seem weird, but maybe try sci-fi or fantasy stuff? It can be really immersive and great for getting away from the stresses of everyday life.

My dad got into books like that after retiring and he's just about the last person you'd ever expect to. In fact, I suspect that if you asked him about reading the Song of Ice and Fire books around his old man friends, he would deny it. But it's true. He also has trouble sleeping, but his issues are more related to physical health issues (he's old, fat, and diabetic - so everything is in bad shape). The books help.