1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022/23 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by dkamberi25, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Historic win for ManU.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED
    GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED
    GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED
    AS THE REDS GO MARCHING ON.....

Great win today. Does put an even bigger question mark on the first 2 weeks, though. Where was this team? Is McFred that damaging? Should Ronaldo strictly come off the bench? They looked good today but can they have the same energy level for Southampton on Saturday? CANNOT drop points to inferior teams any more. I feel like Casemiro is going to bring the steadiness and power they need in the central midfield, allowing Erikson even more freedom to roam and create.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Play the youngsters, screw the lazy old timers ...and find a replacement for captain turnover Fernandez.....

DD

ramotadab likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think they need to get rid of Ronaldo. He is past it and his ego will be in the way the whole time otherwise.

5. leroy

I think he's still very productive in a system that will cater to him or somewhere like Portugal where he can still dominate. He should find his way back to Sporting. United should terminate his contract so he can go wherever he feels he needs to. It's quite clear that we're better without him at this point. The movement is better. Pressing is better. Attitude is better. If he'd accept a role as a super sub, then fine...but we all know that ain't happening.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. DaDakota

Hey @leroy I am now also following Leeds because of Marsh, Aaronson and Adams....love the way they play, I wish the USA played that pressing system.

DD

7. Raz

Raz Member

Toughest group. Still desperately wanted Barca for obvious reasons. Rest of the groups is kind of meh. Hope to see at least four German clubs in the Round of 16.

#47 Raz, Aug 25, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    AroundTheWorld, dkamberi25 and Yung-T like this.
  8. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

This year with the World Cup starting in mid November I believe they are going to run through the Group Stage of Champions League before the start of the World Cup so we will know who advances to the knockout round in less than 3 months.

If Tottenham can't get out of their group heads need to roll.

Will be interesting to see how much longer Liverpool's poor form lasts and if it will impact them come Champions League because while they are the best club in their group on paper, Ajax and Napoli are more then capable of taking advantage of a subpar Liverpool.

Groups of Death are not just limited to international competitions as Group D features three heavyweights. Easy money is on Inter falling but wouldn't be too shocked to see them advance over Barcelona.

For City it feels like they have had Dortmund and Sevilla in group play like 3 or 4 times in this run of Champions League football they are on. I know for certain we had Dortmund in group play last year and this year will be fun watching Haaland go against his former club.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They should all advance, but Leverkusen and maybe Dortmund will manage to embarrass us again, as usual :D.

Also, Lewy will get to play Europa League this year!

Raz likes this.
  10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Seems alright, CAM and good vision, lot of tackles and trying to win the ball.
    Probably for Bayern II mainly atm.

11. leroy

I've watched them this season and it's enjoyable. The US could be more pressing and create more havoc. I'm sure Berhalter (at least I hope) is taking notes. I'm not sure it's a strategy that can last an entire season. But it's certainly one that can last an entire tournament.

I've been saying for a while now that Jesse Marsch is the next USMNT coach if he wants it. I'd love to have him in charge for 2026.

DaDakota and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. DaDakota

Yes sir!

And nice 1-0 win today - Ten Hag is righting the ship......

DD

13. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Haaland with the first of hopefully many more hat tricks in City.

His third goal was something we probably haven't had since Dzeko where he made a great run between two defenders, and with the pass not quite right Haaland had to basically use his strength to box out the one defender, control the ball and get away from the defender for a 1 v 1 with the goalie and beating him left corner.

14. DaDakota

Kid is amazing.

DD

dkamberi25 likes this.
  15. Aware

Aware Member

100 million for anthony? ajax knows business

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Impressed in all games so far with his calmness and mature play, and today finally his first goal. Great signing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. leroy

Yeah...it's an overpay. There's clearly a tax on EPL teams and an additional one on teams like United. Ten Hag got his man. Hope he's right.

18. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Hat trick Haaland strikes again.

This is going to be a fun season.

19. DaDakota

What a great game today - 3-1 over Arsenal is no joke.

Loving this team and their energy, having Bruno and Erickson in the MF with McTominy as enforcer has been amazing.

DD

20. MystikArkitect

Arsenal won everywhere today except the score. Still top of the table and should've thrashed this ManU team but onto the next one.