1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clifford Robinson for PF on ROX

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TBar, Jul 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Robinson is old, but we do not have much money to work with at this point as we are over the cap. Robinson is 37 yrs old, but played in 82 games last year, played 34 min + per game. His FG % is .387 and 3Pt% is .357.

If we could trade one of our bad contracts like Weatherspoon-5 mil+ per year-what DO YOU THINK?

We still need a power forward worse than ever. This old scorer is probably not the answer as we would be better served with a banger and rebounder.

We do not have a power forward now.

I want some kind of power forward-money is being wasted on Spoon....

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

No thanks, if we go the "scorer" route at PF I think Howard's scoring + decent rebounding is better than anything Robinson could provide.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Cliff Robinson is still probably the best on-the-ball post defender in the league, and a very smart vet to boot. Great passer for his position, can hit the 3.

That said, we need more of a rebounder at the 4. Interesting idea though.

4. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Please withdraw -cancel this thread-this was a stupid academic exercise. We have 2 bloated untradable contracts at Power forward in Weatherspoon and Howard.

There is no point discussing any roster changes at this position for many years under these horrendous contracts we have taken on in the Van Gundy era...

Spoon used to be a Knick.......

That being said - I guess we are set at this position for many years- although we will continue to be the weakest in the West.

5. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

u mean 3 bloated untradable contracts with mo, spoon and howard :)

7. dharocks

Having put some more thought into it, I actually wouldn't mind giving up Spoon for Robinson.

Cliff can play all three froncourt positions, knocks down long jump shots, and plays great D. He doesn't rebound much, but then again, neither does Mo T. The annual playoff fade wouldn't really hurt with Juwan and Mo working the PF position. He'd actually be a pretty decent backup C/PF option.

Not a bad idea.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if some how we could find a player that rebounds and hustles like spoon, and playes defence and shoots like cliff we would be set ;)

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i wish we can troy murphy out of golden state. his 2nd year was his breakout year b/c he was avg a double double a night, can hit the outside jumper, and i think could be a nice complement to yao but i doubt gs would give him up. he has some injuries this past season but dude has some talent to go after boards

10. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

didn't someone recently say something about Mo working hard in the summer? He did last year and JVG rewarded him with a decent amount of playing time. THis may be wishful thinking but maybe he is already working hard again and um, starts rebounding... no seriously though i think if JVG and his assistants work with what they have, they could get Mo to be a better rebounder and such. JVG likes spoon also but all he needs to do is lose some weight. I dont know. It could turn out ok.

11. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No thanks! I do not want one of the top 5 worst playoff chokers in the last 14 years. This guy is absolutely terrible during playoff time.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He could have a rebounding contest with Mo. My mon is on the Mo man.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If we don't have a power forward, then what are Juwan Howard and Mo Taylor or even Clarence Weatherspoon for that matter? They're not centers and they're certainly not small forwards....

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Howard has 5 yrs left to go on a 36.9 mil per season contract. Mr. Weatherspoon has 2 more years at 5mil + per season. Mo Taylor has 3 more years on at more than 8 mil per season.

So for the next 2 seasons:
    Spoon--5 mil
    Howard-6 mil +
    Taylor- 8 mil +

Total for each of next 2 seasons - 19 mil

This is the weakest position the Rockets have with most money proportionally....

Van Gundy was involved in two of these player aquisitions.....

Rudy did not do this

Maybe it will all turn out OK

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Ugh, I think I would rather have TMo, and if you know me, that is really saying something.

16. jboslett

jboslett Member

brian skinner would be an excellent fit since he can play both the C and PF. The question is can he knock down the open J?

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Spoon > Cliff

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we will get rid of one of them this summer.

19. dharocks

How do you figure? All he does better is rebound. Cliff's a better shooter/scorer, passer, and defender.

Unless you're talking about Cliff in the playoffs.

20. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member