1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Bigs

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sydmill, Aug 2, 2022.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

This could probably have gone into the 2023 prospects thread but I think it is different enough to warrant its own. Looking at the Rockets' rebuild core (ie those guys we expect to probably be a part of the next good Rockets team) it appears that they are looking pretty good at Guard (KPJ/Green/Christopher/Tyty/Nix) and Forward/Wing (I expect/hope Smith and Eason gobble up the majority of those minutes). However, at the 5, there is Sengun and the hope that Garuba can turn into a poor man's Time Lord (Robert Williams). And, while I and some others like Myles Turner as a veteran option, there is a legitimate argument against using assets on a veteran at this point of the rebuild (much less on one who carries the stigma of being injury prone). So, the draft!

Obviously Wemby is the consensus prize of the draft and will likely play the 5 but the Rockets' chances of securing the chance to draft him are low even if they ended up with the worst record in the league for the third year in a row. So who else does Clutchfans favor in the 2023 draft?

Personally, if the Rockets use their (likely) lottery pick on a big I am thinking it will be either Lively or Ware given their probable draft position. While I like what I have found out about both, I think I lean Lively myself. My biggest question is whether spending a high pick on not only a big but one likely coming off the bench behind Sengun is a good use of that asset. Would it be better select BPA even though that guy would be behind guys the team is still developing who were similarly regarded just a year or 2 earlier? Should the Rockets look to trade this pick for a veteran? All of there are considerations for another thread (probably in the future once we know more about our current roster).

The Rockets also have Milwaukee's pick this year. Might it be better resource management to use that pick to select your backup big? Maybe an Adem Bona, Armando Bacot or Adama Sanogo? If the team is just looking for 15-20 minutes of good D and rim running then those types might be had at the end of the first or even by getting a second round pick. Anyway, talk amongst yourselves.

bumbum09 and RedIsen like this.
  2. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Between Lively and Ware, I'd also lean Lively since he looks a little more mobile with a better motor, but I'm not sure his skillset absolutely wows me to where I'm circling his name on a big board. Then again it is very early, and I'm curious to see his usage at Duke.

Assuming that Sengun holds down the starting spot and proves to be a core player, I'd lean toward picking BPA in the lottery and if its not a big, find the backup big later in the draft with the Milwaukee/Brooklyn pick if it lands in the late teens-20's.

Yohan Traore (Auburn) and Vincent Iwuchukwu (USC) might be in that range. Yohan probably being the better prospect due to his shooting ability, but I do like Iwuchukwu's defensive mobility and instincts. Both could be multi-year college guys though.

Peep #10

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think I agree. Maybe take that 3rd wing to pair with Smith and Eason in the lottery (Cam Whitmore, Jarace Walker or Arthur Kaluma maybe?) and then grab your backup to Sengun in the bottom half of the first. Again, I am really intrigued by Adem Bona (who Sengun should surely be able to provide some intel on):

Believe It! likes this.
  4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

A 6'10 Nigerian forward that's athletic, great on D but still a bit raw on offense. Only played a few yrs, but is emerging quickly.

Yes please.

5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

The more I watch and read on this kid, the more I'm intrigued. Grew up playing soccer. Wears #34 and it sure looks like he's rocking some mustard and ketchup kicks in this video. Could be a coincidence :cool:.

Says his toughest matchup so far has been a teammate on his team in Turkey. None other than Alperen Sengun.

Gonna be watching this kid for sure.

sydmill likes this.