1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Christian Wood Trade Aggregation Day

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

After today, the Rockets can combine these contacts with others in a trade. It's likely a big reason they have kept them on the roster.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can't wait for some exciting trade news.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Let's go. I wonder if we could trade Chriss for Brandon Knight or Ryan Anderson

Nook, Corrosion, The Hunted and 6 others like this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

PS remember when Sterling Brown was one of the most watchable players on the Rockets? Feels like 10 years ago.

burlesk, Patience, Corrosion and 6 others like this.
  5. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Why even have the 60 day moratorium?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Don't think that's possible without getting Matt Maloney and Kelvin Cato off the books.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

interesting.......

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Horrible influence though, not a very mature person.

DD

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You can trade players immediately by themselves, but you can't combine them with other salaries until the 60 days pass.

I assume this is to prevent you from making a bunch of shuffling moves to circumvent salary cap rules but the exact reason I'm not sure. Maybe @BimaThug could clarify.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Gordon, Nwaba, Mavs package for WB + 1st incoming

Welcome home king

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Time to ride shotgun in the KD sweepstakes!

Basketball Reasons that Silver!

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

How was he a horrible influence?

Don't recall.

13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

15-20M in expirings across five or six players isn't a bad option and definitely could work as part of a trade facilitation in a bigger deal. Wonder how much the Jazz really care for Fournier for example and whether they'd be willing to part with one of the Knicks FRPs in a Mitchell trade to get the group of expirings alongside KJ who would be far more valuable for them as they kickoff a rebuild while we acquire Fournier who has 18m on the books this season and next. From our side, Fournier's contract isn't terrible, and you'd have to think he's someone we could turn around at the trade deadline for value.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gordon+ all pieces from the Wood trade+ Milwaukee FRP for Wiggins.

Add Nwaba or KJM if they prefer.

Golden State is going to have to trade Wiggins. Extending him is going to cost them around $100m a year in salary and luxury tax fees. I’m sure they have been waiting for this day just like the Rockets (and other teams waiting to aggregate). Luckily, the Rockets can send players in Gordon, Nwaba and KJM that not only can contribute to their title push, but either come off the books after this year, or make a negligible salary. This allows them to get some return instead of just going with Wiggins a final year and losing him for nothing.

Wiggins is the best player available next summer, but it doesn’t look like he’s going to be available then. Any team that trades for him is probably going to want assurances he will sign an extension, so the Rockets should try to move on him now rather than waiting until free agency.

I’m generally ok with just waiting until cap space opens up and filling in the gaps that way, but there are slim pickings after Wiggins next summer. And ‘24 looks even worse, so acquiring bad salaries with picks and kicking the can down the road doesn’t look fruitful, either.

Without this move, we have to be perfect in the draft. I think they’ve done pretty good so far, but I am scared of the team stalling out and being stuck in that middle ground constantly acquiring “assets” in hopes of cashing in. It finally worked with Harden, but I don’t think a deal like that popping up is something you should count on.

Wiggins would not turn this team around overnight, so I think we would still have a decent pick next summer. But we would have to convince him to stay long term and help grow the team into a contender.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

any thoughts on where thine eyes should focus?

fattz, theDude and D-rock like this.
  16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, instead of EGo bringing a FRP the Rox send one away?

Or, just for fun, proceed to swap Wiggins for Kyrie then Kyrie for Russ + 2 FRP.

theDude likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah, keep ****ing up development of young players, keep insisting on shooting 3s and not having good shooting coaches, and keep hoping a miracle trade will save you....

18. maj21

maj21 Member

I wonder if this means KJ could be part of a trade package..

19. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Clutch, persuaed Bima to upload salary-cap training on Udemy. Clutchfans members get a discount of course...:D

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like your thinking here. I was never a Wiggins fan, until last year. It seemed to click for him and he raised the level of his game on both sides of the court. Of course he was playing with a great team, but watching him closely he really seemed to be tuned in and playing to his potential. His Championship experience and ability to play on both ends of the court at a high-level could be just the right ingredient to add to our young core.

burlesk and theDude like this.