1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio McDyess

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikezamir, Jul 3, 2004.

1. mikezamir

mikezamir Member

I seriously think the Rockets should try to pick up Antonio McDyess. In his free agent article, David Aldridge mentions Antonio as someone that a team could pick up for the $1 million minimum. That's pretty cheap for someone who could really help Yao in the post. I think he could be a very important and interesting piece of a championship team. He's already expressed how he'd love to play in Houston.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I heard McDyess is looking for a 3 year contract. Good luck finding that!

3. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

$1M?

4. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

McDyess is not going to give you any more value at PF than Howard and MoT will give at that position. There really is no consideration by the Rockets organization to make this move.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The Celtics managment just met with Mcdyess

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so after barry for either the TE or MLE...and then a center with whatever one we didnt use...we would still have the vet exception.

$1.6M for the maximum length allowed (2 yrs), and a team option after the first year.

of course, we would need to move mo or spoon, or both.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I looked it up a while ago, and found that in the second half of last year, McDyess averaged around 9rpg in games in which he played 25 minutes or more.

Then again, he probably only played 25 minutes or more when he was rebounding well... Would be worth a shot, if only because it makes trading Howard or Mo more likely.

8. mikezamir

mikezamir Member

I don't think he necessarily has to be a power forward. he could make a pretty decent backup center as well. Maybe he seriously is healthy and ready to play like he did earlier in his career.

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I would only take him for the short term. He has been hurt way too much. he was a great player and some one we would love to have if he is healthy and cheap.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

trading mo is already very likely ;)

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Which he did nicely enough in enver.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Except I meant Phoenix (hoenix?).

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I would like to see the rockets pickup Robert Horry at the veterans minimum. He's long and still a very smart defender plus he shot 38% from behind the line for the spurs last year. And he comes with a ton of playoff experience that this team needs.

14. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

Sorry- way way over the hill!

15. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

How sweet would it be to get Barry and McDysse. They were traded for each other back when they were originally drafted.

16. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

I'd rather just sign Chris Mihm. name something that McDyess can that Mihm can not do (right now). Mihm at least can play more games than McDyess.

17. dharocks

Mihm is way too soft for my liking. He was soft in college too. Could you imagine a potential lineup of Mihm, Taylor, T-Mac, Piatkowski, and Barry on the floor at the same time? Ugh.

18. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

why the hell we need to put those players on the court at the same time? also 3 white guys in the line-up doesn't make it "soft" automatically.

i was just comparing Mihm and McDyess. what makes you think McDyess (now) is any tougher or stronger and Mihm? actually my top choice would be Etan Thomas, I think he's the perfect fit for the Rockets. but if it's between Mihm & McDyess, i take Mihm.

19. dharocks

Mihm doesn't like contact and he's an atheltic seven footer who weighs over 260lbs. He shoots a bunch of 15 footers instead of banging in the paint for fear of damaging his pretty face. I define that as soft.

Mo Taylor is 6'9", 260lbs and doesn't throw his body around in the paint to grab boards. I define that as soft.

Piatkowski doesn't penetrate, always settling for runners and jumpshots. I define that as having no handles. He doesn't body up on defense. I define that as soft.

McGrady got a reputation as being soft last season when he stopped driving and settled for a ton of threes. Deserved or not, that's a reputation.

Barry's just lost a ton of quickness and isn't soft, but he isn't exactly tough either.

McDyess is willing to bang in the paint. Mihm is not. He's still tougher even with a bum knee, but he's not as athletic.

Etan Thomas would be a good fit.

20. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

I didn't say anything about the others. but Mihm really isn't "soft" like you think. if so he won't ranked #6 in the league in Off. rebound/48min. much better than McDyess did last season. the Dyess you're talking about is 26yr old McDyess. now? when he "bang in the paint" he'd sit out the next 2 weeks for recovering.