1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His PnR PPP was 0.82, almost identical to James Harden's 0.83

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Your point was that Porter's ast/TO was bad due to teammates. Schroder was playing with the same guys and his AST/TO was much better. Defense and what you prefer has nothing to do with the point. If Schroder was able to put up a better ratio with the same guys then it's not the teammates fault.

Green had no problem getting to the rim while playing with the same guys. Gordon drove to the rim 7.7 times/game and shot 57.8% on those drives. Why was he able to do it?

Sounds like your plan is to spread the PG job out so that Porter doesn't have to play PG.

You can keep making excuses but he just has to be better in several areas.Otherwise he won't be the long term PG here.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

All of that matches the eye test that kpj would be better served playing off ball a lot more and finding someone else to be the main ball handler.

AroundTheWorld and Corrosion like this.
  4. aelliott

Which is why Harden runs ISO instead of PnR. He's elite at ISO.

YOLO and Corrosion like this.
  5. aelliott

Based on his current play, yes. The biggest upside for the team though is if he can become a serviceable PG. That's what they'll have to determine.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dream slapped Max.......at half time...come on man.

I am not downplaying stuff that Porter did, but he was 19 years old with very little discipline in his life at all - that is a recipe for dumbassery.

I am willing to look at the mitigating factors and see if he is trending in the right direction, everything there seems to say he is......

DD

#1226 DaDakota, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

yeah....his assist to turnover ration was much better, and the team was worse for it. He hurt the team on both ends of the court in order to produce that stat.

Green got blocked at the rim at least once a game for most of the season....usually multiple times. The garbage spacing definitely hurt him early on.

The plan is to run 2 combo guards, if Green ever develops the skills for it. That's why the "traditional PG" comments have always been so foolish....unless the idea is that Green will never develop his game.

Unless you are ready to give up on Green, KPJ is absolutely the perfect fit.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I would say the best thing for the team is to have anyone who can fill that role whether it's kpj or someone else.

If it's kpj who takes a huge leap and becomes that guy then great. One less hole to fill and provides more roster synergy.

I think we'll be able to tell pretty quickly next season if kpj has taken that leap. If not, I would like to see them go ahead and yank the plug on the pg thing and try him out as more of a wing type player with someone else doing a majority of the table setting.

KPJ has talent and, again, regardless of whether he's a PG or not, finding the role that he fits best is what's going to be best for him and the team.

Let's say kpj really blossoms as a wing player...which imo is more likely...

A lot of good things could happen with a lineup of:

*Reliable PG
    Green
    KPJ
    Eason or Jabari
    Jabari or Sengun

If kpj is that reliable PG, like you said, even better.

#1228 xtruroyaltyx, Aug 20, 2022
    TimDuncanDonaut and Corrosion like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The difference is that NBA players think KPJ has taken that leap. Guys like Lebron etc, and Harden have taken him aside and given advice....

Not sure why some fans here can't get over him tossing a salad at someone.

Gonna try to leave this thread, this is a meaningless discussion, he is the starting PG of the Rockets, will cheer for him to get better.

If they give him an extension now, great, if they give him one later, great,...whatever.

DD

#1229 DaDakota, Aug 20, 2022
    cmlmel77 likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thank you for explaining about his efficiency issue. Although there has been quite a bit of debate on his passing ability. But that is only half of the issue. His efficiency is something that he must fix.

I agree that the Rockets should take some time to see if KPJ can develop into a decent PG. This is the last year of his contract. Moreover, we don't own our pick in 2024. So this is the last year for the experiment. We want to be a competitive team after this one.

Personally, I am hopefully pessimistic (the opposite of cautiously optimistic). I really hope it works out. But the likelihood of him significantly improving his efficiency within one more year is not good, although not impossible.

Also, we should also take a good look at Nix and Washington. KPJ is not the only candidate to be our future starting PG.

11. aelliott

So you're implying that KPJ will never be a true PG and you're advocating that the Rockets play PG by committee to compensate for it. Interesting idea but personally, I don't think that's the Rockets mindset.

I think that they are going to give him every chance to develop into a PG. If they determine that he ultimately can't do that then I think they'll bring in someone else and then either move KPJ to a different role or let him go.

I'd love to know how Schroder hurt the team by getting assists and not turning the ball over.

12. aelliott

Teammates getting into an altercation is very different than a player going off on a coach.

Neither of those things is even close to walking out on your team and leaving the arena at halftime.

I'll ask for a second time. Can you remember any other player leaving the arena at halftime ? Not just recently, in the entire history of the league?

clutchdabear, YOLO and Believe It! like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I personally think the Rockets mindset is to have all combo guards. They don’t want or need a designated pg. That is the way the league is going and I think it will be here to stay. We can have a 3 headed monster in facilitating the half-court offense which is what this is all about. Hopefully with better defense and more transitional offensive opportunities we will be in half court sets less often and when we are we can make matchups very difficult by having Sengun, Green, and KPJ initiate the offense depending on matchups and who is getting it done that game or quarter. The whole traditional pg thing is part of the “that’s the way its always been done type of thinking.” That type of thinking is anti-progress in almost any walk of life.

Bobbythegreat, Mathloom and Plowman like this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's clearly not in the Rockets plans.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The real question is if a decent PG/Combo forward is enough for this squad.

It all depends on how the other players develop as well and which holes emerge.

Last year I saw a bunch of youngins trying to get their numbers and succeeded at times but I rarely had the feeling it was a well oiled machine or straight up team play.

Anything is possible and one efficient season does not make him a star player but the board will be high on him.

#1235 daywalker02, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    AlperenSengun and Easy like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm suggesting he'll be a lot more than a "true PG"... which is what you want if you think Green will eventually be more than a "true SG", and I do.

Check out Schroder's on/off splits, when he was on the court the result was a lower offensive rating for the Rockets and a higher offensive rating for the opponent. The Rockets were objectively worse with Schroder on the court... and that's why he's gone.

A player's impact goes beyond collecting individual stats, as everyone should have learned from Westbrook

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

What makes you think this?

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No extension

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Literally every other post of yours is trying to downplay what he did. Including this post. The team had lots of 19-year-olds last season - how many of them did any of the stupid things that Porter did? And with Porter, it's a pattern year after year, team after team.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is the pearl clutchers making it a bigger deal than it was.... it's not like he committed assault against a teammate like Olajuwon or left at halftime to hit up a liquor store then played the second half drunk like Artest.... he went home at halftime after being benched the rest of the game..... not the right thing to do, but no one was hurt.