1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets go after Antonio Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jul 3, 2004.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

He is the type of guy we need to protect Yao. Howard and Mo T are way too soft. This solves several problems for us.

What does he offer?

1. Backup Center- AD can be a very good backup center

2. PF- He can platoon at the 4 as well. Good rebounding, good defender, and can hit that 15 foot jumper with regularity. I think he is a sizable step up from Cato.

How do we get him?

1. We trade Mo Taylor ($8.5 mill contract his year with 3 years remaining) + Eric Piakowski ($2.7 mill w/ 2 years left) for AD ($12 million w/ 2 years left). Bulls have a ton of young PFs that they are bringing up so they do not need AD. We may have to throw in a Nachbar or a draft pick as well.

2. Trade Howard ($5.5 w/ 5 years) and Spoon ($5.9 w 2 years). Bulls were trying to sign Howard before he got to Orlando so they obviously like him.

Best of all......

AD's contract ends in 2 years and his MAX salary will be off the books for us to sign Yao for a long term contract or use it for other FA's. I view AD as the PERFECT short term situation to our PF/Center needs and it fits perfectly in the long term as well.

Thoughts?

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You want him? Bulls say you can have him. Please. They're likely to sweeten the deal with a player a team might want, just to get it done.

3. wizardball

wizardball Member

what are you smoking....the guys an old fart....he was good 3 years ago(above average at best)....it would be the worst move ever....he is'nt worth the money either....the guy should never had gotten that contract....only T.O would do that.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Consider what I am proposing we give up. I agree AD is overpaid but I rather get an overpaid player that helps our team that a couple that do not.

Howard or Mo T are decent but we do not need BOTH of them. They are redundant. Both have decent offensive skills but do not play very good d nor rebound well (2 areas where we need help in).

All we need from AD is good d, toughness, 9 points, 9 rebs and 30 mins of play. With that, we will be able to contend

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Davis wouldn't be bad if he wasn't making so much money.

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

You have to look at this as an opportunity for US to DUMP OUR BAD SALARIES. In the Mo T scenario, we would be getting rid of 2 bad contracts (with longer durations!) than AD's (only 2 years remaining). Furthermore, ADs services will greatly help the team vs what Mo T and Pike bring to the table.

So I view this as an opportunity to dump our bad contracts by getting a solid producer with a short term bad contract. As long as he produces 9 pts, 9 rebs and plays tough D, we win BIG TIME!

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This makes perfect sense. I do believe I have proposed it myself before :eek:

Look, you people. This isn't about AD and what he offers. It's about getting rid of MoT. MoT has three years left on his deal. AD has two years left on his deal. Rockets need money to re-sign Yao to his max deal in TWO years. - Presto! Mo T is expendable.

Someone has posted that Spoon has two years left on his deal. Is that true ? I thought he had more . Is it a team option or something?

AD would be a good backup at both 5 and 4. He would be the enforcer we need in limited minutes.

GOOD MOVE.

Plus, it frees up a roster spot. We don't need the Pikes and Wilks and AGs . Get rid of them. We can replace them with other vet minimum guys we like better at positions where we need more help.

8. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Wow! A trade that makes sense. Incredible!

9. Sane

Sane Member

I'd do it. If they take MoT, Weatherspoon and Pike for Antonio Davis and Eddie Robinson.

Yao/AD
    Ad/Juwan
    JJ/Boki/E-Rob
    T-Mac/Barry
    Barry/Lue/Wilks

Sounds good to me. Doesn't E-Rob's contract end in 2 years as well?

If not that, then I wouldn't mind swapping Juwan Howard or MoT with JYD.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I like it. MoT is indeed superfluous with Howard already on board.

11. Ying Yang

Ying Yang Member

We get an over the hill player that is not much of an asset! Poor Choice!

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, we will take Kirk Heinrich and AD for MOT, and whatever else. Maybe 2 separate deals including the TE.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

14. Drexlerfan22

I missed the part where having both MoT and Howard on our roster was an "asset."

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually, that's a great point, and it does make a deal like that better. Davis can actually give us more then Cato because he is a better scorer, though his numbers didn't show it last year. I would replace Mo with Howard though because Chicago has inquired about Howard and are very interested in him.

16. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Only if Bulls pick up MoT AND Spoon AND Pike, AND give us two unprotected first rounders!

17. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

if they're that desperate to get rid of him how bout we trade juwan howard, pike,and spoon for antonio davis and the TE for tyson chandler.

C: yao, AD
    PF: mo, chandler
    sf: jj, nachbar,chandler
    sg: t-mac, gaines
    pg: barry, lue

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Houston trades: SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 16.7 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 27.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: PG Kirk Hinrich (12.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 6.8 apg in 35.6 minutes)
    PF Antonio Davis (8.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.1 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, +2.8 rpg, and +6.5 apg.

Chicago trades: PG Kirk Hinrich (12.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 6.8 apg in 35.6 minutes)
    PF Antonio Davis (8.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.1 minutes)
    Chicago receives: SF Clarence Weatherspoon (5.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 52 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (11.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg in 75 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.3 ppg, -2.8 rpg, and -6.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Chicago had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I'd swallow the AD toad if we get Hinrich in the deal. Still want Barry as well, though.

19. Drexlerfan22

Ummm... huh? How does that work? Do we have nude photos of the Bulls' management or something?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not saying it is realistic :).