1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Read it again. I factually narrated what happened with short, declarative and unambiguous statements. Then said that the factual narration “tracks.” Not a word of opinion there.

If you see it as representing some political party, that says more about you and him than me.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

"Guy with the gun-fondling photo" isn't political when it has NOTHING to do with baseball? Are you blind or just being deceitful? Those are the only two choices.

3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Eh … while nothing I said wasn’t factual (pretty sure that is, in fact, a gun he is fondling), while you are overtly insulting (“dumbasses,” “deceitful”). But, I’ll edit my post to say you simply aren’t worth it. Enjoy the site.

I will miss my hourly lineup optimizations though...

#1723 cmlmel77, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's easy to spin the facts, isn't it? I can talk baseball with anyone who chooses to limit themselves to baseball. But I do have a problem with SPIN in the guise of FACTS. It's has invaded us like an alien power. But I do not think you
    are dumb or blind, so I leave it at that.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

One thing I did not see coming this year is Yuli's career high in stolen bases at age 38...

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Getting slimmer really helped his speed, but killed all his other ability to drive a ball out.

BlindHog and cmlmel77 like this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Dejuiced ball played a role in that as well... his walks numbers is what really cratered as is his RISP numbers. He may still set a career high in doubles...

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ahhhhhhh... the irony

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Astros are exploring various scenarios for their starting rotation when the schedule starts to normalize next week, including piggybacking starters and skipping turns in the rotation, pitching coach Josh Miller said Friday.

Beginning Monday, Houston has four scheduled off days in its next 19 days, making it almost impossible to keep all six starters on some semblance of normal rest and in rotation.

“There’s a few options we can go (for),” Miller said prior to Friday’s game against the Braves. “I don’t think we’ve come to any determination of what exactly we’re going to do to line them up, but we’ll look at some things. Might have to pair some guys up on a day or give some guys some extra rest — more than the normal five or six days off with all the off days.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ploring-tweaks-pitching-rotation-17385518.php

jiggyfly and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Good problem to have

IowaAstro and jim1961 like this.
  11. Screaming Fist

Failing to get a decent corner OF bat at the deadline as Brantley insurance is looking like a serious error already.

everyday eddie and The Beard like this.
  12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Hunter Brown should be able to give us more than Maton.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

are we already forgetting about trey slamcini or

jiggyfly, xcrunner51 and texans1095 like this.
  14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I have a house cat that has been neutered and declawed that should be able to give us more than Maton.

15. HeyBudLetsParty

I really wanted Maton to be good, but he is what he is 3.5-4.5 ERA reliever. Feels like they’re too invested in him because he showed up in the playoffs last year. I bet he’s still around next season.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Maton gets a lot of grief considering he's basically the last guy in the bullpen now. Him and Will Smith, they're not ideal options but it's hardly worth getting worked up over the last two bullpen spots like people are.

That 2017 WS roster had:
    Luke Gregerson - 4.57 regular season ERA
    Mike Fiers - 5.22 regular season ERA (and he's Mike Fiers)
    Francisco Liriano - 4.40 regular season ERA
    Juan freaking Centeno.

Said it before and i'll say it again: you lose games/series/championships if your big guns fail, not if the 25/26th man sucks.

sidenote: Maton will absolutely be back next year. It's his last year of team control.

EDIT** As Rock Block points out below, Fiers wasn't on the WS roster. My bad.

#1736 xcrunner51, Aug 20, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

How do you know that Brown is not one of your big guns?

19. Buck Turgidson

Huh?

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

the top/middle of the playoff bullpen is pretty set.

CL: Pres
    Setup: Montero/Neris
    ML: Stanek > Abreu.

Then throw in whichever starter gets moved to the pen (likely Garcia) for multi-inning appearances.

There's really not a chance that if called up now that Brown would slot higher than those 6 guys. Abreu's been pretty damn amazing this year and he's still not getting more setup/closing opportunities. Stanek's been even better (1.09 ERA) at run prevention.