1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have hope for TyTy, not so much for Nix.

We don't need a star at every position. In fact, no team can afford a star at every position, not to mention teams that have notoriously stingy owners. Assuming the main offensive fire power will come from Green, Jabari, and Sengun, the PG's job is just (1) bring the ball up without turnover, (2) play good defense, and (3) hit open shots.

Corrosion, Tmac1Yao11 and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why Ty Ty and not Nix?

DD

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he isnt fast enough to guard quick players in the nba shown here

[​IMG]

Verbal Christ and Easy like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Win the lottery next season for the big W. Trade the Nets picks, Eason and Sengun for the 2nd pick and draft Scoot. Sign Wiggins

C - Wenbanyama
    PF - Jabari
    SF - Wiggins
    SG - Green
    PG - Scoot

How expensive is that team??? ;);););)

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nix doesn't seem to have the work ethic to improve himself. I could be wrong. Just a hunch that TyTy is going to have a solid career.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tilman is going to let them walk when their rookie contracts are up. :eek:

burlesk likes this.
  7. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Tyty's strengths definitely does position him as a very solid role player or a key complement to a star player.

Scouts report all put him as a good combo guard, very capable of playing off ball. He is also disruptive on defense, has a great wingspan for rebounding and defense (6-8), and is known to limit TOs.

Unsurprisingly, these were all reflected in summer league (even though SL doesn't mean much). Compared to Nix, Tyty averaged slightly more rebounds, but also only 1.4 TOV to Nix's 2.6 (with comparable assist numbers of 3.8 to 4.4).

These strengths are looked upon very favorably by coaches, especially PGs that can take care of the ball. Nix on the other hand is very turnover prone, which is a problem highlighted in scouting reports, and clearly reflected in both the summer league and g-league (3.6 TOVs).

I think Nix has the higher ceiling between the two, but barring injuries, Tyty has a much clearer path to becoming a rotation player for any competitive team.

Easy, Tmac1Yao11 and pippendagimp like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Both TyTY and Nix are not great twitch athletes...I hope one comes out ahead.

DD

Easy likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL @ Westbrick

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When the eye test matches the metrics! Yikes!

Believe It! likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Because most buffets closed permanently due to the pandemic and those were the venues where Nix really dominated

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I've stood firm at 15Ms per season the whole time. You've made allusions to 8-9Ms per and then restructured the argument to fit next years MLE at 11.8 or whatever it was which eerily resembles his "real" market value. The trick is trying to lock these guys up BEFORE they command 20Ms+ per year. That is what a good to great GM would do IMO. Paying Scoot 15 per I would have to expect would satisfy him and not break the bank. Team needs to pay these guys eventually not sure what we're waiting for? Who will be the trade target that WILL command 25-30Ms that will spearhead a championship run for this team? I dont know if he's out there. Free agency is a joke for a few years also. After Walls dead money comes off the books the team is at least 40Ms UNDER the cap. Even a Clutch Fans member could run that situation without screwing it up. I'll ask you the same question I"ve been asking other guys --- If KPJ comes out with no distractions and has a 20/10 type year are you ready to pay him 25Ms per season?

burlesk, Corrosion and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just purely focusing on shooting since that appears to be the crux of our discussion. If KPJ is a "bad" shooter what does that make Alpy? Still we can find other positives to isolate with Alpys game that lead to winning right? See where I'm going?

Its cool to be concerned and wary, but its also cool to support your guys and hope for the best which is what KPJ "cultists, fanboys, idiots and morons" have tried to contend. Layers and layers of data have been presented to support an upward career arc. Each time any type of positive support comes out for him you have the insecure bully clique who hypes each other up to put down the other side and then guys who are more reserved who try to finagle the stats and cap figures to continue to be on the fence ... all the while saying they ARE positive and hopeful for KPJ as a player? You dont see the contradiction there?

At least you seem to be well spoken and mature enough to have a decent back and forth with so huge respect. Im a big fan of everyone on the team and hope they all pan out. Dynasties require multiple hits in the draft and via trades in order to have sustainable winning. We're close man Im telling you.

Corrosion and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We're waiting for him to earn that contract, to this point he has not done that.

Just look at the inefficiency, turnovers and shooting stats "other than catch and shoot."

If he comes out and averages an efficient 20/10 .... sure, I'd match your figure of $25m.
    I'd rather pay him market value if he plays well than be stuck overpaying him if he is the same ole KPJ.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

TRADE Eason?!?

Arrrrghhh!
    :mad:

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok so for you he hasnt earned anything more than a low ball offer based on your view of him as a player on the court and secondly with your idea of responsible cap management. Got it.

Paying him 15Ms is not an overpay. Lines him up fine with other players in the same bracket and will quickly become a value contract AGAIN when the cap spikes.

Okay so next year we'll be looking to pay him 25-30Ms after a good season instead of just having a little foresight to get in front of the curve. For guys espousing an economical use of the cap its an interesting stance.

edit: Something tells me we will have these very same discussions next year EVEN AFTER a great year by Scoot.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I will answer. Yes he is worth it. If he has 20/7.8Ast/5.5 rebs as I predict as well.

Problem is, I don't think our owner has any intention of paying Porter.
    Some team will offer him between $20M and 27.7M (Brunson #'s) and
    the Rockets will let him walk.

Plan A in that situation appears to be go with Josh Christopher rookie
    contract sliding over into Porters absence. TyTy / Nix backing up.

Part of Plan A.....when missing out on Wembanyama....drafting Scoot Henderson.
    Have JC on his rookie contract and adding Scoot Henderson on his rookie deal
    competing for the 1 spot.

LTS wins again.

The safety net is in all of this is Jalen Green being moved to the 1
    as his ball handling improves this season.

Writing is on the wall. You and I can see it. It's a shame to spend the time and
    effort to train up Porter for some other team to deal the rewards of our
    efforts. Porter will be a talent to contend with moving on beyond this
    season. Far greater than the 6'1" Brunson.

Like most point guards in today's NBA.....just give them 3'point shooters
    that can knock down 3's and defend switch everything......watch their numbers
    go thru the roof. It's not a coincidence. And I'm not talking EG or Mathews
    defense at SF.

You and.i see it clearly. It's like oil speculation setting gas prices. We speculate
    Porter numbers and behavior (contract year) and try to undercut that
    slightly. $8 to $12M is a slap in his face.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun and Eason >> Wemby and Scoot

There. I said it.

peleincubus likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its sort of depressing. I really hope Tilman allows Stone to do his thing. If Stone doesnt see the value there then I'd be shocked after spending so much time rehabilitating the player and enjoying a great value contract at the present time in terms of output. Its fine to say "no need to rush to pay him" and the allow the market to set the price, but quite another to say he's not "worth it". Funny enough next year you'll have guys screaming from the rafters "nooo wayyyyy there is no way you can pay that psycho KPJ 25Ms I dont care if he averaged 20/10 he is not to be trusted" because some of these arguments are not coming in good faith.

I'd lean towards KPJ becoming one of the best combo guards in the league. Dont pigeon hole him into a "pure" point role and dont pretend that his best attributes are playing off ball. Let him cook with the ball on certain possessions and then eat while others playmake. There are pages and pages of quantifiable data to gloss over that paints the picture of buying low with a pretty certain expectation of increasing returns. If he were such a bad investment there would similarly be pages and pages of data that point to NOT investing in him, but there isnt. Its reduced down to the mental/headcase aspect and independent, subjective opinion on how the roster should be built.

Im not sure we'll be bad enough to land another top 5 pick this year. Call me crazy. Maybe with the Nets pick and some creativity we could find ourselves in those talks. Lots can happen in one year. Jalen should naturally provide more playmaking with the new look roster, but Im not sure if him handling the ball on every possession is the best use of his talent and he doesnt possess the same innate passing skill that Scooter does in my eyes. I love JC -- I think he could be a fine starter in this league. Maybe it ends up with us or someone else. This year should further separate the cream from the crop on the roster and hopefully provide the clarity that some need to support long extensions for the youngsters on this team -- who "deserve" them.

You want to buy Tesla stock at 620 and then sell at 1229.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I never said he is a bad shooter. It was posters who were responding to my post, changing the phrase 'not a very good shooter' to 'bad shooter'. And being a very good shooter is relative to position, role on the team etc.

The insecure bully clique you mention comes with various people with various attitudes, various knowledge of basketball and writing styles, just as the 'KPJ clique'. Some are more reasonable some are less, some are more aggressive, some with more legitimate criticism some not. Not everyone is the same. I don't agree with all the things 'anti-kpj' clique writes, but of course i don't bother to answer them all. However, it is hard to carry on a reasonable conversation when it goes

Me or some other poster: 'to evaluate good shooting you need to check his ts%, or what about his ft%, which is a good measure of shooting'
    responder: 'you hate kpj, i am a true rockets fan, i love everyone, you can't hide your hate.'

In this looong discussion, all I did initially was to point to a reasoning error about his shooting performance. And then point out to more errors, that were pointed as evidence to counter what i said. Otherwise I am open to be convinced that he is a very good shooter, by other arguments, though I think it is very unlikely since i have thought on this matter myself thoroughly.

I am more positive on him compared to last year. If you asked me, I would just let him go. Now I think he can have a decent role, if the right role is carved. Still I have my reservations about attitude and what he can do in a competitive game. This is purely speculative but it effects my final evaluation of him a lot. For example for Wood, i can't imagine him to do well in a competitive setting. I like Sengun because I see that he wants to make the correct play. Although he makes lots of mistakes, I am hopeful he can correct them. With Wood, I can't ever imagine him correcting his mistakes, and when the critical time comes in the playoffs, he would make bad, irresponsible choices. KPJ is different than Wood. With him, I see a lack of being serious. It is hard to describe, maybe somebody else who has a similar feeling can describe it better. Sengun also has a little bit of lousiness in him. I hope he changes that.

And the role for KPJ definitely is not the pg because the court vision, the playmaking is not there, running the team. That has been heavily discussed under 'traditional pg vs combo guard' but for me it is not just one vs the other. There are some key elements missing. Anyway it is not the discussion here.

So to cap it off, I hope KPJ succeeds but he is not the type of player i am in love with, nor i think he is good at the current pg role. But the point I was making was not this at all. I just don't think the current data suggests he is the shooter, his c&s % suggests. And if you or some other posters think otherwise, that's fine as long as we can carry out a conversation. I present what I think. If somebody gets that I hate KPJ out of that, there is nothing i can do about it.