1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so you are just that guy.

Duly noted.

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

KPJ white knights are something else

Reeko, clutchdabear and J.R. like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You leave it here because it has a 99% in it and you don't question what it means. 99% of what? Of course centers who play 15 minutes won't have as many catch and shoot opportunities as kpj.

Whereas people above gave expicit nba sorted stats that he does not have many catch and shoot attempts when compared with players having comparable playing time and number of games. Among 95 guards with at least 25 minutes and 30 games, kpj ranks about 80th in number of catch and shoot attempts.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/c...A&dir=1&CF=GP*GE*30:MIN*G*25&PlayerPosition=G

As for the second tweet, he was the most efficient but again he had much less attempts. If he can continue this efficiency it is great, but based on his ft shooting, number of attempts, and previous year's shooting, it is a valid concern to think that this is not sustainable.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, you're still trying SOOO hard to argue that one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA is a "bad shooter".

Look, if you want to try to tear down KPJ, this is probably the most foolish tactic you could have gone with.

Yes, a PG on a team with basically no one else that can competently handle the ball for the vast majority of the season wouldn't get many catch and shoot attempts....it would require a teammate capable of making competent passes for that, one that wouldn't be a turnover waiting to happen.

If you look at his entire career though, KPJ has ALWAYS been good at catch and shoot 3 point shots.

The hope is that this coming season there will be more players capable of handling the ball competently which would help take advantage of KPJ's stellar catch and shoot abilities.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Does KPJ have a smallish sample size in C&S 3's? Yes. Does he make almost 50% of them? Yes. Cant both of those things be true and fine for the team at the same time? Not to even mention that Scoot was the point guard tasked with setting the table and yet lets just pull out the microscope on his off ball stuff? Why does it need to be turned into a negative? You guys are going hard in trying to diminish and discredit the player and its not working - sorry. Hang onto the season long stats when it suits your argument and then switch over to the sample size when it doesnt. Totally genuine. So percentiles are useless right? :rolleyes: so is it safe to assume that you also thumb your nose at 37.5% 3pt shooting on 7 attempts per game?

Show that KPJ was one of if not the most efficient C&S players overall and then what happens? Guys need to bring up the "at the rim" numbers and varying other static to make sure nobody enjoys the player too much because they dont see the talent or value in him on the team. SMH. And around and around the revolving door goes soon we'll be back at "KPJ sucks at passing".

I cant hardly wait for the season to start Im going to have the most fun of my life on this site!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This maybe a dumb question. Does individual touches count number of possessions in which the player touches the ball or the total number of touches? For example, if a player has the ball, passes, and then receives the ball back in the same possession, does that count as 1 touch or 2 touches?

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Nobody is tearing down KPJ. I am tearing down the argument that his catch and shoot % implies that he is a good shooter.

And nobody is saying that he should have taken more catch and shoots. It is what it is. It just does not imply he is a good shooter. Because there are other aspects of shooting and the number of attempts is relatively low.

if this season he can find more chances to shoot and still shoot the same %, that would be incredible. And if he is good at that, he should be used more in that role.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I believe these are two touches. Every time you get possession of the ball, that is a touch.

King1 and Easy like this.
  10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

It is not a negative. It is a positive, and he has negative parts of his shooting as well. If you look at the overall picture, I don't find the positivity of c&s% as evidence to suggest a positive overall picture moving forward. I am not painting a negative picture. Just I don't see it as good as some of the folks here.

Again the original discussion was, whether he is a very good shooter or not. And I say, don't look at just the catch and shoot numbers. And take it lightly anyway, since the number of attempts is not a lot.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. King1

You won't . You're banking on a quitter

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody is successfully doing it, but quite a few are desperately trying to.

Suggesting that his catch and shoot 3 point percentage for his entire career doesn't show that he's a good shooter is simply delusional.

He is coming off of a season where he took 7 3's a game and he hit over 37% of them.... does he have to take 20 a game till you acknowledge the obvious?

See when you're ridiculous like this with your criticism, it makes your intentions transparent.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Either you can't understand what you read or you don't want to. In either case, bye!

King1 likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

But you're trying to imply that he isnt a good shooter right? I'd have to assume you feel his data points are outliers and not sustainable, yet how can it be when I'd bet most elite C&S players have a great PG to get them their shots or other players offering gravity to create spacing. KPJ being reliable off ball only further demonstrates how valuable and versatile he is.

Yes his free throw shooting needs to get better. Yes he could be more efficient near the rim. Yes overall sample size on C&S, off dribble 3s is low. None of that makes him a "bad" shooter IMO. Hopefully Sengun can offer the playmaking and gravity to offer KPJ more opportunities as a C&S threat next season and see if the markers remain the same.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. King1

Nobody wants attention from you delusional idiots

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Folks r so extreme when it comes to kpj. I think he's an alright player but we people here crowning him best player on the team vs bum basically

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. King1

That will be the Rockets front office to KPJ at the end of the year

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The thing is I see many negatives in him. As you said too many dribbles, not reading the floor thoroughly, low ft%. He is not a bad shooter. No starting guard in the nba can be a bad shooter. But the shooting is not good enough to offset all of these. Afterall he is about 54% true shooting.

I am in line with what you are saying. He can share the playmaking duties with Sengun and Green, and aim for more catch and shoots. Basically, aim for better efficiency, rather than getting up his assist numbers or points. But in the long run, I am not sure this is a winning strategy, if Sengun and Green will be that good to make this work. At this point, they are very young, and this is what we have, it is what we should try.

In the other scenario, where KPJ keeps his current role, even if he gets a better stat sheet, I don't see it leading to a winning team. Of course that's a very subjective statement but that's the way I see it.

So, a third option is to replace KPJ with another pg. Still, to early to discuss it. We'll have a lot more info, not just on kpj but on green, sengun, bari, tari and how they mesh at the end of the season.

Verbal Christ likes this.