1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[OFFICIAL] [ROBERT REICH] Liz Cheney for President 2024 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 13, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She was ahead of her time.

She spoke truth to power.

ROCKSS and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does anybody care what Charles Murray have to say?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

she was power

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Let us hope that Liz Cheney can help defeat Trump. Liz was her father's daughter an unrepentant promoter of the immoral stupid Iraq War. To this day a supporter of torture who dissed McCain or anyone else who was against torture.

An extreme example of rehabilitating the horrible folks who killed so many Iraqis and Americans needlessly-- not to mention pretty directly led to Daesh and the horrible mess in Syria.
    For a review of Liz's horrible statements and actions.
    https://responsiblestatecraft.org/2022/08/17/loser-liz-cheney-we-knew-ye-and-that-was-the-problem/

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What made Trump's 1st campaign gripping was how he captured that non-degreed demo across each Republican primary. GOP leadership didn't want him as a frontrunner only to completely fold at the very end.

Populism is here to stay. It's pretty much a coin flip for either party harnessing the anger and frustration endemic to those left behind by weakened government safety nets and globalism. The educated classes consider those safety nets like riding the bus...Not for them and not their priority.

Reople reflexively think Republicans will cater to that group as their base is dwindling, but Democrat leadership is aging and I don't think the younger leaders are eager to toe the line.

We have a negative dynamic where the "more responsible" a party in power is, the more blame they get for failing the poorer classes.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Clinton pegging only 50% of Trump's base supporters on September 9 2016 as “deplorable” was quite likely being charitable.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think that claim, however, drove an awful lot of independents over to the Trump side when they considered how mean-spirited Hillary's statement was as a reflection of her character. What independents didn't vote for Trump went libertarian I suspect; and some Democrats (e.g., me) went libertarian as well. So Hillary lost a lot of votes with that stupid statement.

And Democrats doubling down on the statement now are simply risking having history repeat itself

Nook likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Clinton pegged them halfway, but they didn't like it?

Oh Hillary's character being lacking is a massive understatement.

She slithered, ducked and weaved to a passable victory in their last debate, but once the Comey letter dropped, people were like **** This ****.

The irony is that it was an entirely different email scandal that had nothing directly related to Hillary.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Yup. I will never forget seeing the interaction with Marco Rubio and the reality of how manufactured and deficient these politicians largely are at the national level. Rubio and the other Republicans literally did not know how to think on their feet and had no answer to someone with the balls to not stick to the scripted box. The same is true with Democrats as well, their inevitable choice of Clinton to be the nominee is another example.

Parties largely groomed their candidates, made them safe and fought wars like they did in the colonial period. Everyone line up, marched at at the other side and shot at one another. Trump instead hid in the trees.

I suppose it makes sense, it just took longer to permeate the political arena. Years earlier we went away from the formality of suits at church or court or the ball game. We even went away from the formality of professional actors and scripted television into the reality shot genre.

Trump is of significance for doing that, breaking that barrier for good and bad. We saw a vision of it with Palin before that as well.

It happened to be the Republican party that broke the mold because they were desperate enough at that time. It broke the mold and it has largely worked for the Republicans.

To an extend I think that is true. I think what is more on point is that the educated classes do not trust those safety nets will be there when they need them. Globalism, like you said IS a reality to the educated class and isn't necessarily a bad thing.... the world is smaller, and being a citizen of a particular nation of the awe of a particular government means less.

I think we will see it fracture.

Yes, and in some cases it isn't what actually gets done but how it gets done.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I hear this - but it drove independents to Trump?

Let's not forget that Trump was saying many nasty things about many people at the same time.

The "deplorables" statement to me was more of a reflection of the schism that had developed in the USA between the college educated and small special interest groups (LGBTQ+) of the Democrats and the blue collar and traditionalists of the Republicans.

Trump was helped by the FBI release, the fact that he was a drastically more charismatic candidate, the fact that Clinton was a female and the fact that there was a real complacency by the Democrats.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I believe that was one of the claims made by a source in the wikipedia 'analysis.'

Nook likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the term used was "undecideds," perhaps not synonymous with independents but for all intents and purposes the same idea:

After the election, Diane Hessan, who had been hired by the Clinton campaign to track undecided voters, wrote in The Boston Globe that "all hell broke loose" after the "basket of deplorables" comment, which prompted what she saw as the largest shift of undecided voters towards Trump. [37] Political scientist Charles Murray said, in a post-election interview with Sam Harris, that because the comment helped get Donald Trump elected, it had "changed the history of the world, and he [Haidt] may very well be right. That one comment by itself may have swung enough votes, it certainly was emblematic of the disdain with which the New Upper Class looks at mainstream Americans." [38]
    unfortunately the Boston Globe is paywalled and that's a subscription I don't maintain

13. Nook

Nook Member

Charles Murray has made some statements that I disagree with, and some of his writings from the 1980's and 1990's have largely been proven to be based on discredited science.

His statements on IQ and welfare mothers for example, and his views on women and minorities are wrong in many ways and at best overly simplistic.

I don't agree with a lot of his conclusions and I suspect you feel the same.

What I will say about him is that he is very bright and observant. He is very good at articulating and pointing out changes in society that few notice and he is good at finding the root cause, even when his conclusions are wrong.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I honestly haven't looked at polling enough to have a strong opinion, but my gut reaction is based on the climate at the time it makes no sense, but I am open to being wrong.

I will always listen to Charles Murray, for all his warts and invalidated conclusions over the decades, he has proven very adept at identifying issues everyone else over looks.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

as always I advocate considering arguments on their merits. While who makes the arguments is occasionally important, it is not the "critical thinking silver bullet" some posters here make it out to be. And I think his affirmative action writings have been largely (not entirely) misread and misinterpreted.

Nook likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What happened to Don Chaney ?
    Did his brother get shot in the face ?

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/18/what-cheney-misses-about-republicans-trump/

Opinion: Why Republicans don’t want to join Liz Cheney on her kamikaze mission
    By Marc A. Thiessen
    Columnist
    August 18, 2022 at 1:50 p.m. EDT

Whatever you think of Liz Cheney, give her credit for courage: She knew that relentlessly pursuing Donald Trump meant the end of her congressional career, and she did it anyway. It was an act of bravery, akin to kamikaze pilots who intentionally crashed their planes into the deck of an aircraft carrier.

The problem for Cheney is: Most Republicans are not interested in kamikaze missions.

Cheney believes that Trump is the greatest threat facing our country today, greater than the serial disasters President Biden has unleashed since taking office — among them, the worst inflation in 40 years, the highest gas prices in decades, the worst border crisis in U.S. history and the worst crime wave in many cities since the 1990s. She thinks stopping Trump is more important than stopping Democrats from spending trillions of our tax dollars, hiring an army of IRS agents to harass hard-working Americans, raising taxes on businesses struggling in this economy, projecting weakness on the world stage and pursuing a radical climate agenda at the expense of U.S. energy independence.

The vast majority of Republicans disagree. If the Democratic alternative was the benign, centrist party of Bill Clinton — who told us the “era of big government is over” — things might be different. But Republicans know that the Democratic Party has been taken over by its radical progressive wing. Were it not for Sens. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), they would have followed Biden’s $1.9 trillion inflation-inducing “American Rescue Plan” with his $3.5 trillion “Build Back Better” boondoggle. They would have gotten rid of the filibuster, packed the Supreme Court, packed the Senate by giving statehood to the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, and enacted their radical agenda by simple majority vote. Republicans understand that we are just two votes away from a one-party state. And if in November the Democrats somehow hold on to the House, and extend their Senate majority, they will use their expanded powers to irreversibly transform the country. That, Republicans believe, is a far bigger threat than Trump.

Cheney says the Republican Party is “very sick,” and in many ways she is right. But as her father’s mentor, Donald H. Rumsfeld, famously said: You go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you might wish you have. Well, today conservatives have to go to war with the Republican Party they have.

That party needs good leaders inside the fold, not people blowing themselves up on suicide missions. Cheney said this week that winning reelection “would have required that I go along with President Trump’s lie about the 2020 election.” That’s not true. Georgia’s Republican governor, Brian Kemp, also rejected the “big lie.” Like Cheney, Kemp faced a Trump-backed effort to defeat him in a Republican primary. But unlike Cheney, Kemp won. Why? Because he did not spend the past two years rehashing the 2020 election; he focused on the concerns of Georgia voters. He spent his time fighting his Democratic opponent, not Trump. “Stacey Abrams wants her woke politics to be the law of the land and the lesson plan in our classrooms,” Kemp warned after his primary win. “Well, you know what? Not on my watch.” If your concern is the future of the Republican Party, you know the GOP is better off with leaders such as Kemp still in it.

In Wyoming, Cheney lost because her constituents saw that she cared more about fighting Trump than fighting Biden. She was more concerned with waging a civil war within the Republican Party than the inflation that is forcing her voters to choose between staples such as gas and food.

Now, Cheney is reportedly considering a presidential run. She had a better chance of keeping her House seat than she does of winning the Republican nomination. The GOP is not going to nominate someone from the “Never Trump” wing. If the party is going to move past Trump in 2024, the nominee will almost certainly have to be someone such as Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who offers to continue Trump’s policies, minus the political baggage. But this is not good enough for Cheney. “Ron DeSantis has lined himself up almost entirely with Donald Trump, and I think that’s very dangerous,” she told the New York Timesrecently. A Cheney run would divide the not-Trump vote in the GOP primaries and make it more likely that Trump wins.

What Cheney does not seem to understand is that relentless pursuit of Trump only empowers him. Until recently, support for another Trump presidential run was fading among Republicans. In October 2021, a Quinnipiac poll found that 78 percent of GOP voters wanted to see Trump run again. By July, that share had dropped to just 49 percent, a New York Times-Siena College poll found. But the one-two punch of the Cheney-led Jan. 6 committee hearings and the Merrick Garland-approved FBI search of Mar-a-Lago is causing Republicans to rally around the former president.

The way to persuade GOP voters to move beyond Trump is not to attack him but to convince them that he is the candidate most likely to lose in 2024. Republican voters’ top priority is to defeat Joe Biden. That’s not Liz Cheney’s top priority — which is why no one wants to join her on her suicide run.

19. Invisible Fan

lol, so you're telling me if Cheney gave her campaign the lipstick of a grift that would enrich not only her but also the prospects of her constituents, then maybe she mightve been re-elected?

No to Kamikaze...too ferrin soundin!!
    Yes to Heist Flicks...too badass, stick it to Them!!!

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Call me crazy, but I'll first blame the empowerment of Trump on the people in his party who actively seek to empower him by inviting him to their campaign rallies and talking up how much they love/support Trump to get his endorsement. Whatever Cheney's faults are, the persistence of Donald Trump as a political rockstar in the Republican party is not her doing.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.