1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Those are older players.....he picks good up and coming young players like KPJ and Green to mentor.

But it's ok, dog days of summer, some guys hate KPJ - got to be hard to watch the Rockets and him when you are actively rooting against him.

DD

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nobody is rooting against him. Just because some of us don't fancy him a star player already doesn't mean we don't want him to succeed.

3. DaDakota

Oh, I think the way many are posting that they don't want him to succeed......

DD

ApacheWarrior and Plowman like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Believe me, i’d love to be wrong and i’d love if he turned it around but you have to be realistic

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. DaDakota

No, you don't that is what being a fan is all about.

Fan is short for fanatic.....

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

So you just hope every player will be a superstar? And you want to have 15 max contracts? Different way of looking at team building that’s for sure

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Excellent post on playmaking comparisons. Debunks that myth.

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

6th man

Green Tari Wemby Jabari Sengun - Championship

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I hadn't thought of inbound passers. Thanks!

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

It is confusing. I would have to assume that "passes made" would tally actual passes during a game. Inbounds, in play etc..

I would count any time that a player actually passed the ball within that metric if it was me. Same with passes received how many times did that player receive a pass - it shouldnt be that difficult -- UNTIL you infringe on some of their other case specific stats like hockey assists or even "touches" that seems sort of redundant with the passes generated/received numbers unless touches gets anal like loose ball dives/touches that dont even require a possession? With Royce O'Neal I can see that player making more passes to other players that may be lead options for their team. I dont think of Royce O'Neal as a guy who's getting the ball with intent other than to be a great glue player so just using surface level thinking I may tend to agree with the data. Did O'Neal start some games? Did he play a larger role with other players in foul trouble/injury? You'd have to pull up a game film and just count it all out and see where it lands and then compare to these averages. @AlperenSengun could be right in that the inbounds passer just naturally accumulates more of these? Do certain teams require a high school type movement package where they want to have X amount of passes per possession?

If you've actually already done some number crunching and tabulating with this particular player and the numbers arent adding up I'd be at a loss too honestly. You could always reach out to the site with a question about explaining that particular data point?

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I would contend that MIL wins that ring with or without PJ. Tuck just happened to land on the right team at the right time. I think Splash could do the same. Im not saying he's a scrub. He's a very good player still at his age and could provide the boost that contending teams need to get over the top. I'd also argue that teams are looking more to what Gordon can bring on offense vs his defense and vice versa for PJ. You need capable vets on winning teams, but again lets not get wonky without context. Saying EGO is an "awesome" defender is a little hyperbolic, but Im ok with it not trying to create a mountain out of a molehill.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We'd spend months destroying each other over his "health concerns" :D:rolleyes:

Believe It! and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The number crunching is straightforward. To pass the ball, you need to receive the ball, which is possible by rebounds and steals other than passes. There is no way you can make 20+ extra passes(30+ if you consider his turnovers and shooting) without counting the inbound passes.

The bad thing is that, the total number of passes is used for assist to passes %, and if you are constantly the inbound passer, then you will suffer in that stat.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So then how are the touches determined? What other aspects of the game other than passes lead to touches? Jump balls? Do they really count anytime a guy gets a hand on a ball as a touch? I didnt even know ast to pass % was a thing until right now!

edit: just found this

https://www.nbastuffer.com/analytics101/touches/

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

They are just spinning VC. Having you chase your tail.

Pace is a big factor in all of this as well.

As slower pace is more deliberate, concise, tends to lead to less turnovers
    and
    Faster pace is more helter skelter, fast, tends to lead to turnovers in bulk.

I used Doncic as an example before. Doncic had:
    4.5 TOV and 8.7 Ast and 15.3 TOV% per game.
    to Porters
    3.1 TOV and 6.2 Ast and 17.7 TOV% per game.

Silas had the Rockets run fast Pace (2nd in the league) because
    the defense was so raw and he knew our players couldn't defend
    the half court vs NBA caliber vet teams.

So he tried to use fast breaks as our greatest weapon. Get cheap easy points.
    Only sometimes C Wood would get the rebound and walk the ball up the court
    trying to impress a future team into trading for him. Otherwise we would have
    been #1 in Pace.

Would it have equated to more wins....? Who knows, I believe we were
    tanking and it didn't benefit us to be better. We also dabbled with zone
    defense at the end of the season. Not to win games now, but to see our
    players on film and let them get a sample of what's to come this year.

Point is, nobody is crying about Doncic sloppy game and poor defense
    because he is such a scoring threat. Demands Triple coverage at times.
    Fact is I don't need to have Porter be Doncic making $35.7Mil.....i need
    Porter to be Marcus Smart making about $20Mil.

Porter will never be the defender that Smart is but Smart will never
    the offensive threat Porter is. Smart went to the finals.....Doncic hasn't.

*Tell them to run the numbers on Doncic. Inbound passes and all.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Thx.

I think @AlperenSengun is spot on with inbound passes. That makes total sense when I look at the players with these type of numbers.

17. DaDakota

Come on, I HOPE they all become one, sure........

I cheer for it, right now we don't have even one, so we have some breakout candidates, of which I believe KPJ to be one and the closest to it....

DD

18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yes, touches is how many times a player possesses the ball, regardless of how he acquired it. I am surprised that they don't actually count it, rather derive it from other stats. And they do it through resulting action, rather than how you got the ball. So touches should be roughly, passes received + steals + rebounds + loose ball pickups.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I get the allure with stats - goes back as far as the boxscore so its a necessary component of proper analysis, but ever since the hardcore stat nerds came into the picture within the last decade or so its been one crazy stat after another. Cherry picked conclusions and narratives. For me I dive into stats AFTER my eyes give me my first impression. With Scoot I knew he was a baller from the very first game he played with the Vipers. He just has a knack for the game. My angle was looking at the "potential assist" number which doesnt seem to be so convoluted. The early versions of this debate had the odds of Scoot ever getting close to 10apg as next to none because of all of the historic context, but when you look at his 10.8 potential assists on a squad of rookies and NBA leftovers its actually quite impressive. If you can give him more capable offensive players I expect this number to rise. Im stopping short of calling 10 dimes per game so as not to offend the purists, but I wouldnt be surprised if he flirted with that stat this year.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member