1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. HTown2017Champs

A bit too homerish IMO. I would not say Garcia is in the Top 75 pitchers. And I think Leon is more of a 101-150 type of guy. Incredible tools, but a bit too swing and missy. TBH, I much prefer being doubted and undersold, and proving the haters wrong.

prospecthugger likes this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

Small sample size but he is deserving of a promotion, IMO. None of the drafted pitchers have been assigned yet, but once they are, we've got some guys in A/A+ who are cut candidates.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

… and may not get assigned this year since there are only 2 weeks left in the season?

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. HTown2017Champs

Hunter Brown had a great first 5.1 innings. 65 pitches, 43 strikes. Recorded 8 K, no walks, and only gave up 2 hits (both singles).

Then, all too familiar, he began to fall apart. Walk, homer, another walk. Update: They keep him in, and he induces a double play to end the inning, Final line: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 8 K, 1 HR. ERA of 3 for the game, and sub-1 WHIP.

He has been so good as is, but many times he starts to kind of lose it later in the outing, particularly after 5 innings. I would love to see him up, and eased into the rotation Corbin Burnes-style.

#2084 HTown2017Champs, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. HeyBudLetsParty

Not going to happen, but I would love to see Smith get dfa’d and Martinez back up. Brown in September when the rosters expand, unfortunately we just have to have a lefty.

Phillyrocket and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I agree that Bellozo deserves to be promoted. I am not sure I would like to see attention drawn to him. If I remember correctly he will be rule 5 eligible this December It would not be unheard of for a low A player to be taken in that draft. A high A player would be far more likely to be taken. I consider Bellozo to be one of the most valuable prospects in the organization but it would be tough to put a player so far away on the 40 man roster to protect him. This may be the toughest rule 5 call that has to be made this Fall.

8. HTown2017Champs

Here's a few 40-man guys who could be DFA'd to make room for Rule 5 protections:
    Jonathan Bermudez
    Josh James
    Enoli Paredes
    Ronel Blanco
    Taylor Jones

Also expect Nico Goodrum to be non-tendered. That's 6 spots freed up.

Wulaw Horn and Htown Legend like this.
  9. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Need to keep Paredes. He is an all star closer waiting to happen if he can get a bit better control.

bigdaddy and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

All true but tying up a limited roster spot for the next two years is a lot of potential blocked opportunity.

11. Nook

Nook Member

DFAing Paredes would be a mistake.

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Why would we need to DFA Smith to bring up Martinez when the rosters expand?

13. STR8Thugg

Yeah, of course. DFA the guy with a 1.31 era in 40+ ip in AAA. No brainer.

I know he has control issues, but I always thought he had a chance to stick around as a MR guy. His stuff is definitely good enough. Was huge in 2020.

Nook likes this.
  14. STR8Thugg

What is Brown's velocity and pitch types? Best pitch?

Heard so much about him but never seen him pitch.

15. STR8Thugg

Sure, but Leon is still rocking a .370 obp with a .237 avg. Dude can get on base, and it's such a valuable skill. I think he projects pretty well at the next level.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

With loud tools. That’s a top 100 guy. No homer.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

96-99mph tonight

STR8Thugg likes this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t think Blanco and Paredes are DFA candidates. Between all the pending free agents, James, Goodrum, and maybe Bermudez they should have all the room they need for protecting guys from the Rule 5.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His stuff is similar to Brandon Woodruff's from a movement perspective using baseball savant's data. Woodruff pounds the fastball in there a lot generating fly balls while Brown throws a lot of curves and is a groundball machine.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn't this going to be true of like 98% of all starting pitchers, though? I mean, I could see some concern if a SP typically starts to fade in the 4th inning when they are on their 2nd run through a lineup, but I would expect most pitchers to start fading a bit in the 6th and 7th innings just from fatigue.