1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Russell passes away

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bleedroxred79, Jul 31, 2022.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's a nice gesture.

They didn't do it for Kobe so who knows.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't agree with retiring his number everywhere. But, I don't think it's dumb.

Bill Russell represents winning at a level that MJ/Kobe/LeBron couldn't achieve. He also represents perseverance at a much more difficult time in America. I don't really see a reason to fear someone coming close enough to his cultural significance to warrant the same treatment.

Slyonebluejay, UTSA2step and JumpMan like this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And I am sorry, but this post is dumb.

Is this decision from Silver about winning or basketball excellence? Negative. That is a minuscule sliver of what Bill Russell brought to professional sports. Reducing Bill Russell to Jordan/LeBron/Kobe is akin to reducing Muhammad Ali to Frasier/Norton/Liston... Absurd.

UTSA2step and DCkid like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Great, LeBron's number is automatically retired across the league... as is Kenyon Martin Jr.'s.

Jontro likes this.
  7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

It's a nice gesture. Personally, I think it's a little bit of a stretch and kind of lowers the threshold for what it takes to get a jersey retired league-wide. He doesn't have the historical/cultural impact of Jackie Robinson and is not synonymous with his sport like Gretzky is with hockey.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

if the nba says so, then i guess it makes sense. jordan, lerbon, mergady, kobe, yao, and curry should be retired league wide too. most likely green, cade, and wembymama's numbers will be retired league-wide once they retire because they'll be super awesome. if they run out of double digits, they can always go to 3 digit jerseys.

RasaqBoi and JumpMan like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Collecting Bill Russell cards is not actually all that easy. There just aren’t that many Bill Russell cards for his career. And barely any signed cards. His rookie has gone for as high as 600k, compared to the grail of Mikan who is near 1 Million now. in 2019, the value of the card was only 24k. Major jump. His autographed cards are rare too, but only go for bout 6k.

The Russell Rook:

[​IMG]

JumpMan and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  11. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Number "6" would be retired, but would "06" still be available for players? Just like when Carmelo wore "00" and Lillard wore "0" on the Blazers.

Jontro likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I feel like the people who think this, have it in their mind that Russell was some benchwarming scrub that lucked into all his accomplishments.

5x MVP, 11x NBA champ, 1x gold medal. Regarded as one of the best players ever. Played an a very racial-conscientious era, all for one of the most racist cities in America.

Dude may not have Robinson's impact or Gretzky's overall greatness, but it's hard to find a player in NBA history who embodies both, to a degree.

If there was anybody in NBA history who deserves to get his jersey retired, I think you start with Russell.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Adding a "0" in front may be a way to game the system. But I've heard that 0_ is actually short for 10_. Since you can't have three digits, you drop the hundred. But then what do you do with numbers beyond 109? *shrug*

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

There's an infinite abyss between being a bench-warming scrub and having your jersey retired league-wide. For the record, I'm aware he was not a bench-warming scrub. I just don't think his impact on history or to the game of basketball was transformational enough to prevent any future players from wearing his number.

I think it's Jordan for similar reasons as Gretzky. And even then, I'm not 100% sold.

Zboy likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don’t love the idea of ever retiring a jersey number league wide. But if the NBA was gonna pick 1 person to do it with, I think Bill Russel makes the most sense

JumpMan likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't they make him the logo? A silhouette of shot blocking.

JumpMan and Jontro like this.
  18. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, he didn't like to sign autographs. I saw an interview with him talking about it. It made sense when he explained, he would rather shake your hand and talk for a minute then sign his name.

19. raining threes

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This is not the first nba number retired all across.

#69 is as well. David Stern wouldn’t let Rodman use the number, so technically it’s untouchable.