1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Duhon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jul 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone notice that Texas Longhorn guard, ROYAL IVEY, got drafted ahead of Duhon?

Does Duhon suck?

or is ROYAL really better?

2. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I really don't understand this either. You know, I figured Duhon was at least a late first rounder, and I remember speculating whether he was a lottery player a year or so ago. I really think Duhon can be a starting caliber point in the right system (Rockets?).

Royal Ivey was a pick based on need. He's a great defensive player, but lacks overall talent.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Maybe Royal with Cheese got more skillz!

4. ron

ron Member

I noticed this as well. It's surprising that Duhon got selected so late, and I really don't understand why so many eorupeans got selected ahead of him... I guess this is a part of todays "eurohype".

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Would be trade bait to LAL if Coach K heads west?

6. ron

ron Member

Yeah, nice one! Coach K would probably like to have Duhon in his squad since Chris was one of the important players on Duke, specially with his ability of passing (had 6.1 apg last year, best on Duke)...

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Something must be up with Duhon, maybe he's slow.
    Maybe Duke PGs are just overated aka Jayson Williams.

8. dirtyfithynasty

I think it is just the Atlanta hawks stupidity. Did you see their draft? It sucks.

9. lalala902102001

Duhon was considered a lottery pick a couple of years ago. His stocks really dropped the last couple of years. The knock on him is that he can't score at all. However, Duhon is a very good passer and floor general. If he can ever develop a jumpshot, he'll have a spot on an NBA team and could have an Eric Snow type career.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Duhon was never considered a lotto pick. He was a good college player, he was no better than Tubby Smith's son Saul. Ivey is a better shooter, taller, quicker, and even played point guard this past season just as effectively.

11. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

uhhh...hes a lot better than saul smith....

12. lalala902102001

After Duhon's freshman year (when he played point guard next to Jason Williams who played two, Duhon's stocks were very high. There were rumors that an NBA team (many suspected to be the Hawks) promised him a lottery spot if he came out that summer (2002). Nbadraft.net listed him as No. 3 overall pick in the 2003 draft at the time. However, Duhon opted to stay in school and saw his draft stocks free fall after that.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

You know I like that webcite, but between the above ludicres statement and the one comparing MD2 to Larry Freaken Bird (who was a 1 man show who lead Indiana STATE all the way to the NC game) it is obvious they have bigger Dukie goggles than Dukie V.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who is MD2?

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Mike Dunleavy Jr.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Royal has a chance for playing time.. .He's in Atlanta

17. junglerules

junglerules Member

Easy there....Saul Smith might very well be the worst college player I've ever seen, and I watch plenty of college ball each year. To compare Duhon to him? I don't think so.....

I did get to see lots of Ivey here in Austin the past 4 years. He is a very good defensive player, but he couldn't handle the point that effectively, IMO. He was a decent ball handler, but didn't really have the quickness or handles to drive the ball to the basket. He is a decent passer, and has a solid floater shot around the lane, but he's essentially the type of player who does a lot of different things well, but not one thing GREAT. Of all the UT players who might get drafted, I really expected Mouton or Boddicker to have the best chances after JT's rough senior year. Ivey was a shock to me, although he's definitely the player I'll miss the most this season at UT. He just makes everyone around him better, even if he's not the most talented player on the court.

By the way, the ballet classes Ivey took in New York certainly helped him on the court. :) Reminds me a bit of all the stuff we heard about Hakeem's impeccable footwork during his prime years for the Rockets.