1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's not encouraging, to say the least. What I'd really like to get is a plug-in hybrid, since most of our driving in Austin would be electric with one. Not a lot of them around yet, and most are luxury brands, $50K+ on up.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know this is in jest, but not only do they have the lowest traffic fatality rate per capita of people, not only per capita of cars... but also per mile driven.

It's a country with plenty of extremes in its topography, and plenty of bad driving conditions (rain, snow, ice). Yet despite this, despite having by far the most "heavy killer EV's" of any country in the world, as @Os Trigonum 's video alludes to dropping a revealing truth bomb on, it still has the lowest traffic fatality rates amongst all countries measured by the WHO, less than half of the US's rate.

We must investigate, there may be many thousands of lives we can save.

rimrocker likes this.
  3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

From a value standpoint, I'd go with a used Honda Clarity. Full sized sedan with around 50 miles of EV range. To me that's the sweet spot as 50 miles gets you to the point where you basically never have to use gasoline unless you're taking road trips and long distance drives. I think low mileage models can be had for less than $30,000 (which is still way too high) but its quite a bit lower than anything else.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Dodge Hornet GT

Dodge has announced its first all-new product in a decade, the new Hornet compact SUV. The Hornet, a corporate sibling of the Alfa Romeo Tonale, debuts as the most powerful crossover available for under $30,000.

That's true whether you opt for the gasoline-powered GT or the plug-in-hybrid R/T. The GT comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo that makes over 265 hp. The plug-in is even more potent, with a claimed output of over 285 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque. Its powertrain uses a 1.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with an electric motor at the rear axle.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a40898116/dodge-hornet-gt/

gifford1967 and Deckard like this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Maybe they have better drivers????

have you seen what’s out of the road in the US??

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Over the years, I've had friends who had Alfas, good looking 2 seaters, constantly breaking down. They reminded me of my old 1965 Triumph Spitfire. I loved that car, an absolute joy to drive, but didn't enjoy getting my cousin to help me rebuild the engine twice during the 3 years I had it. Mine looked like the spoilered image below.

Anyway, I can't wrap my head around getting a Dodge (or an Alfa), although the Alfa is a pretty little SUV. I'm tempted by the RAV4 Prime, but what I'd want would likely be around $48K+, it's a Toyota and it's small. I've got a 75lb. dog! Also, Toyota nickel and dimes you to death with options. Still, it's a plug-in hybrid.

I wish Honda made a plug-in hybrid CR-V.
    [​IMG]

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

A RAV4 and CR-V are the same size. I have a RAV4 Prime and it fits my needs for a small family. Honda introduced a PHEV CR-V in Asia, and I think they entered that trim into the European market. I haven't heard any plans to bring it to the States yet.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My dad had a blue Spitfire just like that one -- cool car.

Deckard likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm sure It's pretty simple, Norwegians have a sense of personal responsibilities and believe in safety much more than we do.

Sajan likes this.
  10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Scotty Kilmer's videos are click baity rage bait. It's awful.

Looking more into roadway fatality rate in Norway, number of road traffic fatalities have been dropping drastically. From around 300/year in 2000 to just 80 in 2021. I don't know if it's because cars are safer or people are getting better at driving, but it's clear that EV adoption had not caused a drastic increase in road fatalities in injuries.

https://www.ssb.no/en/statbank/sq/10071527

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They really are. You're so low to the ground that it almost feels like you're in a go-cart, except it's one with a body around it, a 4-speed in your right hand, and it corners like you're on rails. It really does. I could just "throw it" into a corner and it'd whip right around. The cousin I mentioned was a great shade tree mechanic and had a series of 2 seaters. An MGA, an MGB, and easily his best, and favorite, an Austin-Healy 3000. A good friend of ours had a Datsun 2000 and another good friend bought a yellow Spitfire after I got mine. The 4 of us would go cruising on weekends in the country, often with girls, the tops down.

There was some good driving in the woods around Lake Livingston. The friend with the Datsun had a house outside of Coldspring (and still does) that had been in the family for generations, even had a little cemetery, and was used as a vacation place after the lake was dammed up. He had a key and if it was empty, we'd make it a destination. Needless to say, the whole area was a lot different in the early '70's. Then there were trips to Austin and the Hill Country. Good times.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, I find I’m a better driver with an EV. You have to anticipate stops if you want to max out the regenerative breaking and I don’t accelerate as fast from a stop because if I do it is so smooth and quick that as soon as I look down I’m doing 55 in a 30.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sort of electric-related : I've always loved Bugattis even though a lot of people hate their styling. I think they're works of art combined with ferocious speed (like Lamborghinis). With Rimac taking over, they're going to be going the electric route. Can't wait to see what kind of crap they come up with. I think the first W-16's were the Veyrons, and I remember thinking "wth?!" when I first read about them something like 20 years ago.

2024 Bugatti Mistral Roadster Revealed as Brand's W-16 Sendoff

Sajan likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Xerobull and FrontRunner like this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Kinda sucks everyone jumping on the EV bandwagon. Ugh.

#1235 Sajan, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not really. Everything needs to evolve. I just wish I wasn't caught at the beginning of the evolution where I feel like I'm paying too much for what I'm getting. :D

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Well I am hoping better EVs come out. It seems like all we have is the same battery tech..nothing revolutionary has come out. Maybe solid state might be the thing...who knows..

but I am not looking forward to driving a 6000 lb car again........the e-tron felt so heavy.

You can pry my air-cooled out of my cold dead hands. Or until they don't make gasoline anymore lol

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

California asks residents not to charge electric vehicles, days after announcing gas car ban

Sajan likes this.