1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Climate Change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

GOP liars and drones backpedal when confronted with logic. It’s their best skill. They also get mad and shout nonsense like hunterbidenhillaryemailsbengazi!!!!

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Are all Republicans against climate change measures and spending? They seem to be allergic to it. I guess they don't believe in it. As long as the instant gratification items are taken care of for the near term...who cares right? They regain power and the first thing that is rolled back is anything having to do with going green and fighting climate change. It's guaranteed. Screw the world future Americans are going to live in...right? As long as everyone is totally happy with how things are going now right? And, as long as they have the ability to purchase as many assault rifles and guns as they want.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Christian White Guy was at the top of the food chain with women and minorities fawning over their opinion.

Now that they're old, flabby, limp dicked lunatics...not so much.

So it be in the lines of
    - Their Women (can't abuse or treat them like second class citizens anymore even if many still do)
    - Their Religion...Christmas, prayer in schools, White Jesus, Monkeys into Man
    - Their Speech Rights...to be racist, sexist, crude, and vile
    - Their freedom...safety belts, condoms, smoking, drunk driving or any behavior that's now extremely litigious (Can't sell products with lined with asbestos? ****ing nanny state fascists)
    - The ability to exploit and steal...environmental regs, honoring land treaties with Native Americans, enforceable liability with Superfund sites (the grandfathered ones got away)
    - Their children...a simple slap or love tap these days can mean jail or seizure. Can't put hairs on a sissy's chest by letting them take a sip of whisky anymore. And the Commy union slacking schools...wtf fix that shiet nao deSatanos!

At many different points in time, these Privileges have been fought over and took.

Now we be Third World Nation overrun by invaders.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This! Screw the planet, screw the sick, and homeless, screw those who can't afford healthcare, screw the Vets that no longer serve, and screw those who can't afford prescription drugs. If it can't make them money, then its a waste of their time. Now back to pushing looser gun laws, tax breaks for the billionaires, and roping in those steers and queers.

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump

6. Invisible Fan

Folks living in Texas better hope climate change is a fantasy produced by Nerds with PHDs, though I'm guessing the debate will be flipped into "Cheap energy prices to pay for that AC Bill"...blah blah "costs associated with wishful thinking for the Olden Times" over choosing real solutions with upfront sacrifice and investment.

At least 100 million Americans will live in an "extreme heat belt" by 2053, according to a new report from climate-risk nonprofit First Street Foundation. The report classes extreme heat areas as places where the mercury will top 125 degrees at least one day a year. The extreme heat belt is predicted to stretch from Texas and Louisiana up through Missouri and Iowa, to the Wisconsin border. Florida's Miami-Dade County will see the fiercest heat rise, with the number of 100 degree-plus days a year rising from 7 now to 34 by 2053.

[​IMG]

The deeper the red, the steeper the modeled increase in the number of days above a heat index of 100°F between 2023 and 2053.

Annexing Canada looks more and more a viable Plan B.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Houston might as well turn into a giant underground air conditioned city. Can't imagine Houston being even more miserable weather wise.

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wow

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember predictions from 1988

Astrodome likes this.
  10. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

#1210 LondonCalling, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    dobro1229 likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

HOU > BOS every month of the year

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Interesting video. Trees do matter

dobro1229 likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I've been thinking about this alot as I constantly drive by Texas suburb abandoned mini mall after mini mall with 2 parking spots taken out of 400. It would be great if the state could setup some sort of program to de-pave these unnecessary concreted areas all over our cities. I hate trying to find a spot to park in places like Midtown or the Galleria area as much as anyone, but we got to find a way to survey which lots have an absurd amount of space taken with concrete acting like a stone oven.

14. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Up until about 10 years ago I never really gave much thought to the climate, but now I think you would have to be living under a rock to not see the changes in the world, for me it was seeing the ice melting in Antarctic and animals losing there habitat

Science isn't perfect and they often get some things wrong or they have to pivot once they get more data (See, Covid...mask or no mask)

Here are some things that were predicted and the final outcome, I am 100% ok with scientists being wrong, its not an absolute subject but IMHO we are doing severe damage to the earth..........will it be 50 years or 500 years before we screw it up bad enough that we will issues that we cannot come back from, I am not smart enough to figure that out and while I don't have kids I do want my nieces and nephews to have a livable earth so I do what I can knowing it may not be but a drop in the bucket

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/10/30/some-failed-climate-predictions/

17. Invisible Fan

Which is fair at that time.

2002's Earth Simulator supercomputer crunched out 36 Teraflops to run global warming sims.

There are 1,000,000 Teraflops (TF) in 1 Exaflop (EF).

[​IMG]

#1217 Invisible Fan, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not even close bud !

DD

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m just saw a stat that lake Meads level is about wha it was when they started filling it. If it drops a few more hundred feet they won’t be able to generate hydropower from it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

China is going through a heat wave (who hasn't this year) and a major drought.

Chongqing, China's avg temp in Aug is similar to Houston. 93F high / 77F low. It hit a record 113F daytime high yesterday. The nighttime low is a bit shocking. It hit a low of 95F. For the rest of the week, it won't go below 90F.

Climate models have predicted that we would see a very high low first. Essentially no cooling off at night.

[​IMG]

TheFreak likes this.