1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tropic Thunder [will this be one of the funniest movies ever?]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

this movie came out right before the whole cancel culture era came to prominence. the use of blackface is cancellable enough, but there was also simple jack/full r****d. at the time, i think that was actually more of an issue with many. these elements were obviously used in a satirical sense to mock actors who take themselves too seriously. either way i dont think this movie would be able to be made today.

is there a better comedy in the 21st century? i cant think of one off-hand.

tom cruise is f***ing great in it too. i 'memeber stiller doing an interview talking about how he insisted on having fat hands. haha.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/24...ed-dancing-and-fat-fingers-for-tropic-thunder

[​IMG]

Rocket River likes this.
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yeah, I've seen some people try to argue that because it was satirical that it most definitely could be made today. Bless their innocent little hearts.

You can't even say "spaz" today. Of course this movie wouldn't be made.

Rocket River likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

You’re not an all time classic cheetah

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

There's a reason we call Cal McNair "Tommy Boy..."

Jontro likes this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

and good people are getting fired from their jobs because they call their clients "f***ing f*gs"!

cancel culture is definitely out of hand.

@Roscoe Arbuckle

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Exactly. In my mind, by having an "Austrailian" pretend to be a black man, Stiller perfectly illustrated the absurdity of using white actors to portray someone from a different racial/cultural group. Downey's portrayal was just so terrible it screamed stupid idea which is exactly the point Stiller was trying to get accross. And it's not just white actors pretending to be coonish stereotypes (Amos and Andy) or classical characters (Lawrence Olivier as Othello) but portrayals of Asians: Sidney Tolar as Charlie Chan, John Wayne as Genghis Khan, Marlon Brando as Sakini, Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One, Christopher Lee/Boris Karloff as Fu Manchu and Scarlett Johansson in Ghost In The Shell. And let's not forget Johnny Depp as Tonto which was unspeakably bad. Sadly, it would appear that Hollywood still hasn't learned because on deck we have James Franco slated to portray Fidel Castro. The more things change, the more they remain the same...

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Is it ok to use "jabroni"?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, it could be made today, but it would take a director with clout and that director would have to explain his motivations.

Now he would still get a lot of ****, but he could weather it, like I said earlier nobody has gotten **** for this movie and people have gone back further and deeper to try and cancel people.

Do you have an affinity for the word "spaz"?

DCkid likes this.
  11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

My position on the word is somewhere square in the middle of having an "affinity" for it and telling other people they should never use it as slang. Kind of like the survey questions that ask if you strongly agree/disagree or somewhat agree/disagree. And then they have the middle option of "Neutral." I'd answer neutral. Does that make sense?

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, I do.

Just thought it was funny to single out that word.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

That isn't what happened, and we would have severed ties with them regardless.