1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chaos erupts at LA City Hall as council votes to ban homeless encampments near schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Aug 16, 2022.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@ROXRAN
    @rocketsjudoka
    @Reeko
    @LosPollosHermanos

What is wrong with these people?
    the LA city council banning HOMELESS PEOPLE FROM BEING NEAR SCHOOLS is GOOD!

All these "PROTESTORS" are wanting the homeless to BE NEAR SCHOOLS

@Os Trigonum
    also this huge woman was going to attack the city council like Godzilla going after Tokyo

Salvy, blue_eyed_devil and ROXRAN like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

What they need to do is address the income/asset inequality in the United States rather than shoving the homeless 500 feet further down the road.

Many of the homeless in LA were not born in LA but at some point moved into the area because of the weather and resources for the homeless.

People can try to make light of this situation but the reality is until the relative inequality in the USA is addressed, we will see these types of issues be common.

LondonCalling, Xerobull, Kim and 6 others like this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

Also the drug and mental health is out of control.
    These protestors shouldn’t try to attack city council though .

Kim and ROXRAN like this.
  4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

[QUOTE="tinman, post: 14215646,
    also this huge woman was going to attack the city council like Godzilla going after Tokyo[/QUOTE]

I can’t imagine the nightmares the council people had seeing this monstrosity coming at them ,.. what were her intentions beyond absolute destruction?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Rural conservative communities need to do better with their poor and drug addicted as well also as the large liberal cities suffer greatly from poverty in rural conservative regions as the poor from those regions flock to places like San Fran and LA because urban regions have more resources like public parks shelters soup kitchens etc.

It isn't fair to the urban regions.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I saw this on YT a while back. There's many issues: Rising real estate values, NIMBYism causing rich owners to file lawsuits to delay or prevent new houses from appearing, red tape from Environmental Impact Reviews.

Some of the homeless don't want to stay in shelters or temporary housing because they can't drink, do drugs, and whatnot while living there. For some, those who do get access have stayed in the temporary houses at night while moving back to their camps during the day. That double counting kind of defeats the purpose of giving them access to a home in the first place.

The all around weather also attracts homeless to LA or Bay areas. So it's not necessarily a local who is trying to get back on their feet, and the funding for that gets murky.

I kind of feel like there should be coordination with a further inland city to build housing and bus the homeless there, but some people might complain how inhumane or unethical it is to ship one's problem elsewhere...like a cargo container worth of recyclables. It might be personally true. I think homes for everyone is a worthy goal, but if they want to do bum **** during the day, I don't want that eyesore or a constant unsupervised threat hanging around the places I frequent. Cheaper housing elsewhere might address this, but they'll more than likely roam back to their old haunts at one point or another.

In the end, there's a line between those who are down on their luck and those who are fully set in living on the streets and living their life at the expense of the same society that threw them out. People in the vid were too polite and side stepped that. I guess it becomes a tortuous counting issue and one that ultimately isn't fruitful if we idealistically want to "solve homelessness".

I personally would rather go for efficiency and creating benchmarks for incremental success by saving those who really want to be saved.

7. ROXRAN

Don’t do drugs is step one

8. tinman

Supporting Member

The city council didn’t ban homelessness
    They can move their camps elsewhere

these crazy woke people need to go back to school to understand English
    They are banning the homeless from camping near schools

you think parents want this ? They can be woke trans parents who eat vegan chicken
    They don’t want their kids near homeless camps

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh a lot of this is a result of pharmaceutical companies lying to regulators and distrusting highly addictive opioids to doctors and bribing them essentially in order to mass distribute them to communities around America for pain relief causing a massive opioid epidemic that hit rural white communities hard.

So what happens when the drugs that ruin your life are prescribed by your doctor?

ROXRAN likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

The woke protestors want the homeless
    To be near school children
    Think about that

the vote was 11 to 3 in favor
    The city council people answer to the tax payers not the jobless woke people who don’t have kids going to school paid by taxes

ROXRAN likes this.
  11. ROXRAN

Exactly it wasn’t about banning it was just 500 feet which is literally nothing on distance.. I mean that’s not unreasonable

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The true step one is don't be poor.

Second step is never suffer or manifest a disability (this includes you, veterans).

Third step is never get arrested.

If you dodge those three you're pretty much home free.

Do all the (legal) drugs you want as long as you're comfortably far away enough from society's dustbin.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

@ROXRAN
    I wonder why parents don’t want homeless people near schools?
    Oh

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Don’t start fires

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Only Snake Plisskin can save us now.

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Solid
    Snake

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I think LA and other cities in California are being forced to address this complex issue . Even if they all miraculously became clean and got jobs doing low skill work, they still can’t afford to live there .
    People in the hood in LA are poor but they work jobs and pool resources.
    Parking in Inglewood is like a scene from Friday yo

18. Nook

Nook Member

I agree that they cannot all afford to live in Los Angeles, but that isn't a major surprise because the demand to live in Los Angeles is very high. It is always going to cost more to live there for that reason.

It is a complicated issue and I am not saying that the city of Los Angeles or the politicians are above all blame, only that it really isn't fair to compare Los Angeles to areas that are not as unique.

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

I understand that parents do not want their kids to be near homeless camps and why the council voted basically unanimously for them to move.
    I don’t understand the protestors lack of reality in their thought process.
    They didn’t ban homelessness just told them to move away from schools

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know why every person feels the way they do. What I can tell you is that I also can understand why parents do not want their children to be next to homeless camps, it can potentially be dangerous. However, some of the people that were against the ordinance wanted to force the issue of homelessness and lack of affordable housing to the forefront and believed that this law just swept it under the rug.

I can get into extreme detail if you want, some of it will be like what @Invisible Fan has posted. I will just say that we are largely treating the symptoms and not the cause, and we do not in general prioritize it.

Rocket River and tinman like this.