1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is almost 100% on his FT% if he gets that even in the 75-80% range his efficiency goes way up.

DD

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Oh fat boy is drunk again

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'll say it again, (ahem) KPJ is about to have a breakout season. Pay him now! 15 mil. will be seen as a steal by this time next offseason.

Verbal Christ and DaDakota like this.
  4. DaDakota

I agree, but it is not my money and the prudent thing is to let the market set the price and happily pay it as you have more information about his stability.

DD

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

And let him have a 20+/8/8 season thus becoming overpriced?? Because that's what he's about to do.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA was also his HC in that stretch with Knicks.

Milkhair was his HC with Rockets.

Significant difference in production and impact.

Similar to how MDA turned David Lee into an All Star with Knicks by making him offensive hub.

And Sengun is more talented than David Lee.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....underrated-power-forwards-in-the-nba.amp.html

7. DaDakota

That is the risk they are taking it seems - nothing anyone can do about it......Stone holds the keys, he is doing what he thinks is right....just hope that KPJ has a great year and the Rox pay up.

DD

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Negative, shipmate.

I'd wager that defensive analytics backs this up too. JG forces misses, fights over picks, and is aware of the ball and his man at all times. He does not make silly mistakes on either end. KPJ is, well, KPJ. He needs to grow up. Read the scouting report, etc. We can't play Fonda Rec ball forever.

KPJ is very similar to your boy Christian Wood in many, many ways. And he will also get passed by If Lucas/Silas can't find/flip the switch. I hope they can. A useful player in there somewhere. I love that he loves Houston and that he will have his teammate's backs.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

FG%, TOV and FT% are legitimate concerns and criticism is valid.

KPJ has a season to prove he's worth the investment and his off court troubles are in past.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Adjust KPJs FT% from 64.2% up to 75% to last years numbers and his TS% goes from 53.1 up to 54.2, still below league average.

If he shot 80%, his TS% would have been 54.8%, still below league average.

All things being the same KPJ would have had to shoot 91.2% from the FT line on his 193 attempts to be at the league average 56.6 TS% for last season.

Easy, YOLO, dmoneybangbang and 6 others like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My biggest fear in life is that KPJ sees himself like DD sees him. :D:eek:

He needs to fall in line, or he needs to go. JG/Sengun/Jabari, should all have more touches. And for the love of god someone tell Tate to stop shooting 15 times a game.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This comes off as religious belief because it's so absolutely divorced from reality.

Towards the end of the season, Green became a one way player when he figured his offense out, but he was always a complete disaster defensively. Most defensive metrics have him as the worst on the team and one of the worst in the league.

Your take is not even a glass half full scenario, it's a "hey I saw a drop at the bottom of an empty glass, that means it's completely full" type take.

We can celebrate the progress Green made offensively, and it really was impressive, without being completely delusional about it.

There's hope that one day he'll learn how to be at least decent defensively, he's got the athleticism for it, but he was absolutely terrible last session defensively.... and it's okay to admit that.

On the other hand, KPJ was a two way player, making a positive impact on both ends of the court. He still has to work on consistency, but he's shown that he has a ton of skill. it's okay for you to admit that too. It's not cheating on your man to reject the wild delusions and admit the obvious.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's his 2 point FG that really drags down his efficiency. It was really bad last year especially from the mid range.

AroundTheWorld, harold bingo and Easy like this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lin floundered with every coach, not just McHale. The problem wasn't the coach: it was his staggeringly low basketball IQ and very limited abilities that, once figured out, were very easy to stop.

As for Lee, he averaged 18 ppg, 11 rpg, and 3 apg over a five year stretch. And while 2 of those years were for MDA*, the other 3 were for Keith Smart and Mark Jackson, both of whom were not good coaches.

So you're not really proving a point with the Lin and Lee examples: Lee was good with bad coaches and Lin, outside of a nice stretch, just wasn't good at all.

I guess you're arguing that a good coach is better than a bad coach? Yeah, obviously. Everyone agrees with that. And again, I don't know what ANY of this has to do with KPJ being an inefficient scorer for his entire career.

I guess you're saying that if we replaced Silas with a great coach that KPJ would be better - ok, maybe, but if that's the case then wouldn't that improvement curve apply to everyone else on the roster as well? If that's true then we still don't need to make KPJ a priority if he keeps his current production trend.

*FWIW, the Knicks went 61-103 during those 2 seasons where Lee was the focal point.

#854 Haymitch, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He definitely had some really terrible shooting games last season, but I think a lot of it was related to being a young player trying to carry a team full of scrubs. When you have to deal with selfish players like Wood who either has the ball or is completely checked out on offense, guys like Tate who can't shoot that destroy spacing, and guys like Green who were flat out awful for large portions of the season, it's going to lead to a lot of bad shots.

If you see how things looked at the end of the season with Green playing well offensively and Sengun in over Wood, it looked night and day different.

That's one of the reasons I'm so excited about this season. I want to see what it looks like when Green is playing well from the start, when Wood is never an issue, when you have 2 big men on the court together....would be better if Tate was gone, but we can't have everything.

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Ah, Bobby ******** on Green again to prop up his quitter hero. Like minded I guess

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's no question about extending him. This is ridicuous. KPjr is our best player right now...on both ends of the court. And, about to break out this year. His age gets lost, because of all our youth. But, AGAIN, this guy just turned 22! And has done some amazing things already. He's putting it all together. Don't underestimate his talent and the infrastructure in place here to help him get there. Things are falling into place. Once the season starts, it will be undeniable to even those lost souls that align against him no matter what he does. He's in lockstep with the program now. I see the Rockets locking him up rather quickly.

#857 Plowman, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We gotta keep it real. I hope that they hit the season with the momentum they built to end 2021. Not only were the youngsters great on offense, but they were definitely not liabilities on D to end the season. Also I think Jabari and Tari will inspire the whole squad to sell out on D.

harold bingo and Believe It! like this.
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yikes that list.

AroundTheWorld and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, TPA was especially brutal. There's some others that are a bit kinder to some of the Rockets, but overall there wasn't a lot of defense played last season

Part of that was Silas and the rotations he went with, some of it was lack of defensive skills among the players.