1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zoomer (Gen Z) Work Ethic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Jul 31, 2022.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wait til you guys hear about these Gen A douches

Literally a bunch of babies

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

In this made-for-TV-instance, yeah.

On the whole I side with the Zoomers.

Older generations often look down on the comforts/standards of those that come after them.

It's really petty and stupid. I'm glad that those coming after me are getting higher wages and better working conditions.

I remember being new in the work force and being made to suffer arbitrarily by boomers/genXers just because that's what they went through or expected.

And I'm not talking about following dress code or showing up on time, either.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are aware that fewer than 7 % of the world's population have an income of more than 20k a year?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This argument never hits for me.

Why should people in rural America compare their standard of living and wages to someone in a foreign country and not their own neighbors/compatriots?

Being fortunate to live in a wealthy country like America does not invalidate the very real problem of income inequality.

The let-them-eat-cake attitude of "be grateful you're not a dirt farmer on the other side of the world" does not suddenly make healthcare, education, or housing more affordable for these people.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fair enough, but my point is that when we are talking about income inequality, it's always relative - comparing to the standard in your own country, and comparing to the world.

I don't use it to tell people "be grateful".

I use it to tell myself that I am fortunate and shouldn't compare myself to some of my friends who are much wealthier and let that make me unhappy somehow.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It depends on what you're trying to argue as it's all relative.

I'm talking more about the system where CEOs and Executives take a big share of the stock options granted by the corporation when it could conceivably be reinvested back into the employees. We live in a mercenary system where our time is owned from salaried work or expectations are made that not necessarily equally applied to those who work the hardest.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does 20k carry you the same amount everywhere in the world?

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

I honestly can't complain about my salary. The average household makes around 70-80k and a lot of them are in debt or living paycheck to paycheck. If they're dual income earners, the idea of making due with 40-50k is ghastly to me, who's living in CA.

I'm more upset that many Americans are living in that unsustainable situation and I imagine it to be the main reason Populist movements are rising across the US. Not because the government is "too big" or illegals are "invading our borders". Those slogans have been around since someone put a cap in Lincoln's skull.

So I think the terms of the social contract is f'ed up. You take the total wealth in the US, see how it's diviied up, and you expect younger generations to expect the same kind of treatment?

I don't know. I'd probably work just as hard in my earlier years in order to see my own growth and potential, but I'm not sure if that's fair or applicable to them anymore because of how twisted the game has become.

I definitely think there more opportunities for those who hustle for it, but I think the risk/reward is way overskewed. The internet isn't as generous with a 20/80 distribution and more like (few) winner(s)-take-all.

Kind of a big inflection point as we have all these different "industrial revolutions" springing up around us during this period of social division.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So only millennials got screwed over with the 3+ financial crises?

What about Gen Z who lost a lot of middle management positions and then got told they were too old or too "qualified" to be hired at lesser jobs.

What about Boomers who lost jobs simply because they make too much money, and you can hire a younger replacement much cheaper.

Millennials and youngers have benefitted from the gig economy and being able to profit from the internet in a myriad of ways, millennials and younger do not have to wait for older groups to die off they have more power as a worker than Gen Z has ever had they have much more options even without a degree.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And you don't think millennials are going to do the same too, Zoomers?

It's not about when you were born, it's about having a bit of power over the ones who come behind you.

11. MexAmercnMoose

damn young kids need to shutup about quiet quitting....our bosses arent supposed to know lol

tinman and jiggyfly like this.
  12. lpbman

lpbman Member

Millennials and subsequent generations never sniffed the `screw around in high school, get a factory job, buy a cheap house, flip houses every decade for wealth~ utopian path that was possible in the before times. Or the ~go to college for relative pennies and earn more than 98% of the rest of the world~

They were instead told to go to college en masse and were loaded up with unreasonable, un-dischargable debt and sent off into a work force that slid into the gutter relative wage terms. States basically quit funding schools, and the feds filled the gap with loans while the schools themselves raised prices at a commensurate rate. Thrown into a corporate world where everyone has a degree and C-suite execs couldn't outsource labor overseas fast enough.

That not every boomer and genX'er got in on the ground floor of a booming society isn't an excuse for leaving behind an economic wasteland current and future generations must wade through. That doesn't even touch on the outrageous anchor that healthcare is for anyone starting a family or with chronic conditions.

Gig economy... jfc what are you talking about.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is not about who had it harder it's about every generation has had hurdles and hardships that they have had to overcome.

Every Generation has had something to benefit that others did not have and the Gig economy is an example of that.

What the **** does Boomer and gen X'ers have to do with leaving behind an economic wasteland?

Why are you tying an entire subset of the population as being at fault?

You just seem to want to blame somebody for all the faults in the world and ignore everything else.

Healthcare is not a outrageous anchor for the vast majority of people, and it's not especially hard for a family or a person with chronic conditions thanks to the ACA.

Boomers and gen xers are the reason for that.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

16. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

17. Invisible Fan

Google translate?
    GEN Z NEVER LEARNED TO READ CURSIVE

On a related note, is this movement an American weakness of Woke Hollywood Libertardism making the youngins WEAK, or...

https://fortune.com/2022/09/01/quiet-quitting-anti-work-job-lying-flat-china-us-economy-global/
    Before ‘quiet quitting’ in the U.S., there was ‘lying flat’ in China. How the anti-work movement swept the world’s two largest economies
    Paige West and Luo Huazhong live thousands of miles apart in the U.S. and China, respectively. But last year they came to the same conclusion: The only way forward was to do the bare minimum.

West had recently graduated from college and had started work as a transportation analyst in Washington, D.C., a job and life she had always envisioned for herself.

“I was putting in my best effort, attending extra trainings, and considering joining organizations outside of work that would help boost my career,” says West, 24. “I wanted to climb up the corporate ranks forever.”

But West said that long hours and the pressure to perform at work began to make her anxious. She began losing sleep and feeling nauseated; her hair was falling out.

That’s when West “quiet quit” her job, a process that she describes as dropping out of the corporate rat race and doing just enough work to collect her paycheck. “I decided to just go to work for 40 hours a week. That’s it,” she says. After quietly quitting for a few months, West formally left her job last year and has since done freelance work and become a YouTube creator.

In 2016, Luo came to his own realization that a job would not fulfill him. Luo had been working in a factory in China’s central Sichuan province, which made him feel “numb, like a machine,” Luo, now in his thirties, told the New York Times last year. Luo quit his job and spent the next five years biking around China, doing odd jobs, and reading philosophy. He later called his lifestyle “lying flat,” and posted a “lying flat is justice” manifesto online in April 2021.

The post, which authorities have since scrubbed from China’s internet, included a photo of Luo lying down on his bed in a sparsely decorated room with drawn curtains. “Lying down is my philosophical movement. Only through lying down flat can humans become the measure of all things,” he wrote.

Luo’s post went viral last spring, inspiring hundreds if not thousands of others to post lying flat memes and pursue lying flat lifestyles; they put in less effort at work or quit altogether; they bucked societal expectations to get married and have kids; they refused to buy homes or consume other material goods.

A world apart, “lying flat” and “quiet quitting” have sprouted parallel passive resistance movements among young people in the world’s top two economies, flouting assumptions that Gen Z will work just as hard as previous generations. Individual followers of the movements have their own motivations—from pandemic-era burnout to existential dread—but a shared sense economic defeatism is binding them together as they confront critics and defy workaholic cultures in China and the U.S.
    What is lying flat?
    Chinese authorities censored Luo’s Baidu post hours after it went live, but they weren’t quick enough to keep “lying flat” from zipping around China’s internet. Some online forums discussing the topic drew as many as 200,000 members.

As authorities tried to clamp down on lying flat and terms related to it, users got creative. Some posted pictures of leeks, which became a symbol of the movement because the long, slender vegetables can’t get caught in the churn of a combine harvester if they’re prone. Some philosophical manifestos on the movement also managed to escape China’s censorship apparatus temporarily, as did practical guides on how to embody lying flat principles, which included advice on how to not get married, not have kids, and live minimally.

“I think of lying flat as a silent rebellion against a culture of overpressure,” says Zak Dychtwald, CEO of consultancy Young China Group. He says lying flat has helped disrupt the “996” culture of China’s tech industry, the idea—promoted by Alibaba CEO Jack Ma and other tech firms—that workers labor 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The lying flat movement inspired some tech workers to leave jobs at top firms and decamp for slower-paced lives in the countryside.

“They’re fed up with work…and the sense that young people are disposable in these large companies,” says Dychtwald.

The global movement to work less
    Yige Dong, assistant professor of sociology at the University at Buffalo, says that lying flat and quiet quitting were born from workers in the U.S. and China questioning intense work cultures, but there’s also a common sense that the rewards for such work are deteriorating, she says. “The Gen Z generation [in China and the U.S.] has fewer opportunities than their parents’ generation did. That’s why it seems that traditional ‘work ethic’ has been diminishing,” says Dong.

China’s economic growth has slowed in recent years amid a sweeping antitrust campaign against tech giants, government attempts to rein in a bloated property sector, and the COVID-19 pandemic. China’s COVID lockdowns and closed borders have inflicted more economic pain this year, putting the country on track to grow at its slowest pace in decades.

China’s youth are bearing the brunt of the slowdown. In July, China’s youth unemployment rate reached 19.9%, the highest ever and more than double the youth employment rate of three years ago, just as a record 10.7 million college graduates entered the workforce.

“People are trying to cope with fierce competition against the background of an economic downturn,” notes Alison Sile Chen, a former political journalist in China and doctoral student at the University of California, San Diego. “They feel really anxious…And that if they have no way to [succeed] anyway they might as well lie flat.”

In the U.S., young Americans feel increasingly anxious about the state of the economy, especially as inflation hits record highs and economists warn of a looming recession. A recent survey showed that American millennials and Gen Zers feel more unprepared to handle a potential recession than baby boomers or Gen Xers.

Active backlash
    Lying flat and quiet quitting have both inspired fiery backlash in their respective countries.

In China, it’s unclear exactly how popular the lying flat movement is since Chinese authorities censor social media posts about the topic. But lying flat became prominent enough to draw a rebuke from Chinese President Xi Jinping, who urged the public to participate in society rather than opt out in an op-ed published last June.

“It is necessary to prevent the stagnation of the social class, unblock the channels for upward social mobility, create opportunities for more people to become rich, and form an environment for improvement in which everyone participates, avoiding involution and lying flat,” Xi wrote.

Dong says that China’s government has taken an interest in lying flat because the movement represents a threat to China’s tightly controlled political system.

“While at the individual level this does not make a difference to the system, if many people are doing it at the same time, it has the potential to interrupt the current social order,” she says.

In the U.S., quiet quitting has also drawn detractors. Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post, recently wrote that quiet quitting was tantamount to “quitting life.” Kevin O’Leary, a panelist on Shark Tank, called quiet quitting the “dumbest idea” he ever heard because young people need to work long hours to build successful careers.

West says that quiet quitters are still fulfilling their duties. And no matter if they are in China or the U.S., people should be encouraged to pursue their own interests above their employers’.

“At the end of the day, what it comes down to is the crazy expectations behind some of the jobs that people have, whether that’s in America or in China,” she says.​

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly this is just a response to decades of job responsibility growth without equal pay growth

once upon a time - You would goto a job with a 5 man team - taking care of everything
    2 people quit/retire/release what ever . .. . . are never replaced
    So now a 3 man team does the work of five and the company does not feel the need to increase their pay at all

When the 3 man team only do the work they normally do if they had 5 . . . people want to say they are quietly quitting
    its propaganda and complete corporate BS

People aren't your slave
    Either PAY UP or STAFF ACCORDINGLY

Rocket River

19. dmoneybangbang

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're right. Decades of 'cost cutting' are catching up with old-school management.

Three months ago I asked for a raise and promotion based on market, workload, reviews and company policy. They turned me down, so I went out and got a new job paying much more than I asked for with about 1/3 the workload.

I found out a couple weeks ago that they needed three people to replace me. That's how much I did and how efficiently I did it. One of the new positions was the job title I asked for.

**** 'em all.