1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon Musk moves Tesla to Texas in Silicon Valley snub

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

If we can't trust people who are trying to sell us things, then who can we trust??

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The idea that "brilliant" Musk invented hyperloop from thin air is the most frustrating thing to me. It's an idea from a long, long time ago, and was a staple of 1960-70's science fiction. The first example that comes to mind is "World out of Time" by Larry Nivin from 1976, but underground vacuum trains were everywhere in science fiction. Musk totally just pulled it out of the pages of the books he read as a kid.

Edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain

I guess if you are going to steal, steal from the giants.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The masses using their personal vehicles as public transportation is fantasy land.
    The idea of using autonomous EV's as public transportation is something to strive for and it is a popular idea. I do believe it will happen one day, but who knows when.

My statement was commentary, not a binary response of agree/disagree. Not everything is black and white.

robbie380 likes this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

So Musk does make claims that are fantasy land?

Elon Musk says Tesla owners could make up to $30,000 a year turning their cars into 'robotaxis' He said he thinks the program can be implemented as early as next year.
    Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 AM

Yung-T and robbie380 like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

LoL Cathy Wood should dump before it crashes course corrects from a group of cross walking school children.

Imho...

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He just says stuff to see how stupid people are, I feel.

7. Space Ghost

I dont understand your statement. Yes, Musk has overstated the delivery schedule for FSD. Maybe the idea of Level 5 autonomy is fantasy, but I think you should take that up with the SAE, not Musk.

In a world where level 5 autonomy exists, someone could make $30k a year in turning their vehicle into public transportation. That fantasy is private owners in masses would subscribe to this idea, not the goal being achievable.

You're making this painful.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I had no idea Robert Goddard was the one who came up with that. He's known more for being the father of modern rocketry. Well, whaddya know.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Sajan and Blatz like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

If you could theoretically buy an asset for $75k and make $30k/yr return on it, why wouldn't tons of people do it?

ROCKSS, Yung-T, Sajan and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

How am I making this painful?

Did he or did he not say what I posted above? "In a world where it exists......" yes fantasy land.

Mr. Musk said in 2020 I can buy a tesla for 75K and turn around and make 30K a year by letting others use it...
    Like @Major asked, why would people not subscribe to 40% return a year? wtf lol..

You and your savior doesn't like public transportation because people are icky.
    You don't want the public borrowing your car to make money.

No wonder Elon is ready for Mars.

Ziggy likes this.
  12. Space Ghost

Let me make 2 points.

-People were buying 25k assets and making 50k+ a year running uber.
    -In the spirit of passive income, plenty of people start up small businesses and run them passively for lots of money. By your logic, tons of people would do it.

It would take 2.5 years to get your return on investment. Those who are business minded will do very well. However there are probably better ways to spend that money. There are candidates who could do this (ie: those who need a car but drive it seldom) vs those who think they need access to their car 24/7. They will probably not do very well.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

1. then you got to drive people around bro. ain't nobody want to do that...
    2. people do a lot of things to make money but they put a lot of effort into it...making 30K a year on the side is not chump change though.

I am trying to defend Elon for you.

Or we can both agree Elon was full of sh** when he said that....like most of the things he says.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

I would point to an entire industry of regular people buying up properties to rent out as AirBNBs. That requires a hell of lot more investment and work and time-to-recoup-money than buying a $75k Tesla that generates $30k a year and supposedly also appreciates in value. Tens of millions of people would buy an extra car if they could get that return - way better return than their money in stocks or anywhere else, especially you'd buy the car on loan and show an immediate profit in month 1. It requires no upfront cash.

The reason it hasn't and won't happen is that it's not possible because Musk makes up stuff and hope it sticks.

Yung-T, ROCKSS and Sajan like this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I HATE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE GROSS WE JUST WANT TO DRIVE CARS.

MAKE 30K/YR IMMEDIATELY DRIVING AROUND THE SAME PEOPLE YOU HATE FOR A LIVING.

Lullzzzzzluzluzlzzlz

Invisible Fan, Ottomaton and Sajan like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. Space Ghost

There are endless ways to make tons of money in our credit based economy. Those who lack credit can not participate, so no, 10's of millions will not be able to afford a $75,000 investment.

It hasn't happened because level 5 FSD is still a concept. Level 5 FSD is not a Musk initiative, its a SAE standard. Until this technology exists, of course it can't be proven and its all speculation. If it takes 10 years to get to level 5, those $75k/30k numbers will be very different.

I dont think anyone has gone out and secured a fleet of Teslas expecting to use FSD to ranking lots of money. If they did, they are incredibly stupid.

18. Major

Major Member

Sure - that's why people are thrilled to make 10% in the stock market. Because there are tons of ways to consistently make 40% a year with little effort and little risk.

He claimed in 2019 that his cars would likely be able to do this by 2020. It's not speculation - he was simply wrong. He supposedly thought it was possible in 1 year and yet 3 years later, we are nowhere close to his reality. So he's either really stupid or he simply lied.

Yung-T, superfob and Sajan like this.
  19. Space Ghost

Lets go with A. He is incredibly stupid man. Definitely not over optimistic.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

Too bad the right answer was B. He lied.

Yung-T likes this.