1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Assuming McCullers doesn't have any setbacks, it appears that the starting rotation for the playoffs will be JV, Valdez, McCullers, Javier. So what do we do with Urquidy and Garcia. Do we essentially schedule a long relief games for McCullers and Javier who may not last 7 innings, or do we save them for when one of our starters is having a bad game? This is a great problem to have but I don't know if I've seen a team that has had 6 starters that are deserving of a playoff start.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

good points. I of course agree with that rotation and you are right, these are good problems. Urquidy has a good deal of playoff experience and Garcia was thrown to the wolves last year too. I think they are perfect as long relief in the postseason. Not sure what you mean by scheduling long relief games for McCullers and Javier. Also, never assume McCullers will be healthy lol.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess would be JV and Framber are the starters. LMJ and Javier likely make starts, but also may come in relief. Urquidy and Garcia are relievers who may get an unlikely start if LMJ and Javier are burned securing a win or aren't 100%.

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I think you have to pencil Garcia to long relief for Javier starts. Both of them struggle getting past 5 innings. Garcia because that’s when the lineup figures him out and Javier because of pitch count. Could be a deadly tandem tho. Urquidy could do the same for mccullers

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I like using them as tandem after JV. Much the way we did on our way to the 2017 title with LMJ & Morton making multi inning relief appearances.

BlindHog likes this.
  6. rockbox

Since Valdez and JV are likely to go 7 innings or longer, having Montero and Pressley relieve them makes sense. With McCullers and Javier, the odds of finishing 7 innings or more is very unlikely, so maybe schedule them for 6 and have Urquidy or Garcia scheduled to pitch for the last 3 innings. Since they are normally starters, I think knowing that they will play will benefit them mentally.

Tomstro and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I like the Idea of setting up tandems but I prefer to put the best pitchers in the final 4 or 5 innings,
    Starters - JV & Framber
    Tandem Openers - Urquidy & Garcia
    Tandem Closers - McCullers & Javier
    Pen - Pressly, Neris, Stanek, Abreu, Montero, Martinez or Maton, & Smith*

juicystream likes this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

sounds reasonable to me. This is kinda the scenario I expected.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm the same way, but the team isn't going to start Urquidy over any of those guys. Garcia they might, but probably not unless he finishes the season strong.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I still wonder whether or not Hinch would have been so flexible with the 2017 tandems had Giles not fallen apart after game 2.

it worked out great… some say would have also worked out in 2019 had they used a starter out of the pen…

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hinch was using starters in relief well before he took Giles out of the closer role.

lnchan and everyday eddie like this.
  12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

To this day I have yet to hear a good reason for the first round still being best of 5.

Getting a few days off is an advantage, getting 5 days off before jumping into must win games feels like a disadvantage. They should take the off days away from the lower seeds. Playoffs start immediately after the season and first round starts immediately after the best of 3 would end.

You want a day off win in 2, or win more in the regular season.

Wulaw Horn, marks0223 and Joe Joe like this.
  14. HeyBudLetsParty

The reason I disagree with this strategy is you potentially miss out on Javy or McCullers having a dominant start where they go 6-7 innings with a ton of strikeouts. Also Urquidy and Garcia more likely to give up runs, I’d rather try and get the lead as soon as possible in the game.

ImMikeV and rockbox like this.
  15. rockbox

My thinking as well.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  16. the shark

the shark Member

Stros last game is Oct 2nd. Means they don't play until the 11th?? Don't like this at all!!

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

According to Passan, there will be no off days between games 5 and 6 in the LCS, meaning you will have to use your entire rotation or send a guy out on short rest. This is kind of a big f**king deal, I would assume teams were notified ahead of time because if I were one of the teams that optimized for a short rotation I would be mighty pissed right now.

18. the shark

the shark Member

My bad last gm is on the 5th. Still SIX days off?? That's not an advantage.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Phillies series was moved to 10/3-10/5 after the lockout so the last game is 10/5.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Holy F@$k! Can't make the Wild Card teams play 5 in a row, but the championship series teams might have to play 5 in a row. Good thing the Astros didn't trade a starter.

Edit: I can't wait to hear the Yankees blame losing to the Astros because the Seattle to NY trip screwed up their precious sleep.

sealclubber1016 likes this.