1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To extend KPJ or not?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL @ Charlie Villanueva comps. That was creative gotta give you that. Not much correlation, but creative nonetheless. :D:D:D

Believe It! likes this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Damn he was still in the league in 2015?

I feel like I haven't seen that guy play since I was a kid.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That time when KG called Villanueva a "cancer patient."

BigggReddd likes this.
  4. i3artow i3aller

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

of course the film study is KPJ being an elite point guard vs the kings.

The kings could make any of their opponents looks like hall of famer. Is there better film study against a better team?

6. i3artow i3aller

Frank has a full time job, but his basketball breakdowns are always top notch. Maybe try to watch the video before knocking it. I’ve always found him to be exceptionably knowledgeable and well informed.

jiggyfly, D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm just saying that a film study of kpj being elite towards a good team is a better takeaway and evidence that kpj is a good pg.

It's hard to convince a lot of folks that kpj is an elite point guard if u show clips of him vs the kings. I will watch the clips but I'm pretty sure folks who are dead set anti kpj ain't gonna b convinced

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No kidding.

I've already said on multiple occasions that It's quite possible Eason is the best player in this draft.

The way he plays just impacts the game on a grand scale.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He is going to shine in the Silas scheme

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Great plays there by KPJ.

Consistency is the key. The NBA is littered with players who have come in with lots of potential and flashed. Hopefully KPJ takes that next step and becomes reliable and consistent to differentiate himself from all those players who have come and gone.

He’s got two hurdles. His mental ability to stay engaged and his ability to fit into what the Rockets need him to be whether that is a lead guard setting up the offense or playing off ball in catch and shoot/attack situations.

All the hemming and hawing is moot at this point because we are about to find out what’s what.

Corrosion and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Speaking of off the ball / catch and shoot situations, where KPJ was very good last season, I read something recently where Silas was discussing getting him into these situations more often.

This has me wondering who's going to initiate the offense when KPJ is playing off the ball .... and if Silas is coming around to the idea many of us here have mentioned the past two seasons - KPJ as the 6th man?

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No, It doesn’t mean that he is coming around on 6th man. He has already stated that we have three guys he sees initiating in KPJ, Green, and Sengun. They will share that duty as starters and Silas should manage his rotation where 2 should be in the game at all time. MIxing up who initiates will make it very difficult for the other coach on defensive matchups.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have heard nothing more about the extension, so either they are working on one, or they exchanged numbers and were far off and we won't hear anything until the end of the year.

Either way, KPJ is poised for a great year.

There comes a time with most good to great players where the light bulb goes off and they KNOW that they are good, they just KNOW it.....the confidence soars, and they settle in to knowing who they are on the court.

KPJ's moment came in the last 20 or so games last year.....you could see the confidence, the swagger, the knowing he could get anywhere on the court with the ball and get to the rack whenever he wanted and against anyone.

And at 22 years old, a guy with that talent that KNOWS.....oh baby!

And Green is similar and he is only 20.....DOUBLE OH BABY !

DD

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, there's the obvious answer... that he's hoping Green takes a step forward and is capable of running the offense a bit himself along with KPJ and Sengun.

Of course there's also the really stupid answers like Silas deciding to make his best players come off the bench for scrubs.... who knows maybe you're on to something, perhaps Silas is planning on making Green the 6th man.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Stop with the 6th man stuff....it's nonsense.

I've suggested that KPj take a lesser role of less dribbling while still a starter

Crossing mid court and then immediately passing as the set is initiated.
    Most teams are doing this.

Rockets have to feed:
    Jalen Green
    Sengun
    Josh Christopher
    Tate/Eric Gordon
    Jabari

I'm saying that Porter takes a lesser role but his numbers go up.....much like
    at the end of the season.

The pecking order will be:
    Kevin Porter jr main facilitator #1a
    Jalen Green #1b scoring option
    Sengun #2 scoring option
    Josh Christopher #3 scoring option
    Tate/Eric Gordon #4 scoring option
    Jabari #5 scoring option

Porter will be a starter or gone.

Ankara1923 and maj21 like this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

That 6th man stuff is so annoying. Like who’s taking his starting spot, TyTy?! Sheesh, we would get ran off the court in the first 5 min of every game lol

jiggyfly and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's silly....I can understand a 3 & D aging Iggy with the second wave coming off the
    bench or Ariza; but man Porter is truly disrespected by many here for his abilities
    as a basketball player.

They act like Porter has been playing PG since he was 10.....instead of just
    61 games last year.

D-rock, maj21 and cmlmel77 like this.
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

The thing is people on here don’t want him to be great, they hate him that much. He could hit a gw 3 in game 7 of the finals and fans here would complain saying “he took that shot from Jalen” there’s nothing KPJ can do to win some over. All good though

jiggyfly, Plowman and ApacheWarrior like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lin fans were that way about Harden too, so honestly it's nothing new here. At some point, we'll just have to ignore the stupidity coming from that small but loud group of idiots. There's no reason to let garbage like that take away from the excitement heading into this season.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

KPJ lit up the raptors and peon here were pissed. Jalen couldn’t get going against their D! KPJ single handily kept us in that game, but he’s the scrub. I’m just tired of it. Can’t stand some fans man

jiggyfly and Verbal Christ like this.