1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2022 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 8, 2021.

1. the shark

the shark Member

LMJ is a good comparison. Let's hope that Brown seizes the opportunity when given the chance.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Those were just illustrative of the kind of guys that can get by with a bunch of walks- call it the best of the archetype if you’d like.
    I don’t really care about picking out games where he had high walks- I’m more of a show me the baby type guy. You can walk 3 in 3 innings easily enough and give up 0 or 1.
    My one caveat to this is: I can’t stand bullpen guys that don’t throw strikes. It’s just different with starters.

3. the shark

the shark Member

I hear ya. Like I said, he's going to get his chance and I sure hope he seizes it because he definitely can be dominate.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It sucks for Brown, but he's just caught up in a numbers game right now.

Basically any other team and he's in the majors already.

Screaming Fist and King1 like this.
  5. prospecthugger

Was looking through the game log for this one. One of Ulloa's runs reached on a pop up, and the other scored with 2 outs in the same inning, so Ullola may have had some bad luck.

Apparently the starter they were facing gets his fastball up to 102, so it was cool to see Gilbert handle high velo well enough. Every other woodpecker struck out at least once yesterday.

Price caught 3 of the 5 attempted steals.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

He just needs to smoke a joint to take the edge off pitching, and get suspended for another half season.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I thought it was some kind of an "upper" that a friend gave him.

My memory isn't what it used to be but something about a long drive and making sure he was awake?

Who remembers?

8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I believe you’re right… but I wouldn’t put it past Whitley to ignore pretty much the entire banned substance list.

9. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Pitchers who are high rule 5 risks.
    H Brown, J Murray

Thinking of adding V Bellozo to this short list. His ceiling as a pitcher is among the system's best. It would be awfully easy for a rebuilding team to hide him in a bullpen for a season.

#1949 BlindHog, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Adderall

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

It wasn’t weed.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

DSL affiliates faced each other today with the Orange team winning 3-0.

Luis Baez hit his 7th homer of the year for the Orange team. Jose Fleury allowed two hits and struck out 10 over 4 scoreless, giving him 60 strikeouts against 4 walks in 38 innings. Fleury also lowered his ERA to 1.42.

Yeriel Santos allowed a hit, walked one, and struck out four over four scoreless for the Blue team. Santos, an 18-year-old RHP from the Dominican, lowered his ERA to 2.45 in his debut season. He's had some walk issues (DSL pitcher, so big surprise there) with 24 in 36.2 innings, but he's more or less found a way to limit the damage inflicted on him. Could probably be another candidate to move to the US next season.

awc713 and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tyler Guilfoil struck out four over two perfect innings for the FCL Orange team to earn his first pro win.

The Orange team is playing a doubleheader with the Marlins.

Htown Legend and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Question is it time to bring up Brinson his numbers have been steady all year.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His numbers really aren't much different from his career AAA numbers. I don't really see any reason to think he's different from the guy that was overmatched in the majors. A 28 year old with over 1100 MLB PA should be hitting well in AAA.

Offensive numbers in general are stupidly inflated in the PCL, so stats have to be extremely impressive to really grab attention.

prospecthugger and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Despite the “disappointment” that a 23 year old Rookie wasn’t as good as handling a major league rotation as a 36 year old veteran, Lee’s used his time in the majors to some effect. In August, he’s hitting .182, but with an OBP of .353 and an OPS near .875.

He’s turned into Pedro Leon 2.0 with the bat, and like Leon, he really needs to cut down the strikeouts. He’s had 11 in 27 ABs.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jacob Melton is off to an 0-17 (6 K) start to his professional career.

Bust!

18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Older guys who struggle in rookie ball tend not to pan out, but the real test comes next year.

In brighter news: Drew Gilbert, in 31 professional ABs, has struck out twice.

He's yet to strike out in full season ball.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

On the one hand, Brinson has over a thousand big league plate appearances and has consistently sucked through them all. And his AAA numbers this year aren’t any better than his previous stints in AAA. So there’s not much reason to believe he would be successful in the majors now.

On the other hand, he’s a pretty high floor player given his ability to play CF so I was mildly surprised another team didn’t try to acquire him; he makes sense for both rebuilding teams (who can take a chance on him reaching his previous potential by playing him everyday) and contenders (who might need a 4th OF).

One thing working against him is that he is out of options so he cannot be sent to the minors again if he is called up. He also would be arbitration eligible if on a 40 man roster and has only 3 seasons of control remaining, so that limits his upside value.

I do expect him to get another shot in the majors, but it will likely be next season as he will probably be able to find a team more likely to call him up and possibly even find a big league deal.

awc713 likes this.
  20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

UPDATE:

Only went 1-5 today, still didn't strike out.

2-36 on Ks.

BlindHog likes this.