1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2022 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 9, 2022.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Question: LMJ coming back Saturday, who's going to be sent down to the minors? Maton, Martinez or Abreu?

2. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

McCullers gonna get rocked Saturday.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Martinez

prospecthugger and H-Town Info like this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Christ will protect his curveball

5. Screaming Fist

I’m skeptical of LMJ being effective until he gets some more velo back. Maybe turning him into a SIRP would help with that if needed.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Im gonna go out on a limb and say there are precious few seasons with 20 wins and an under 2 ERA.

rockbox, STR8Thugg and The Beard like this.
  8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea I’m guessing there has never been a team have a pitcher get to 20 wins with an era under 2, and another be over 95% quality starts

If this rotation was pitching for the Yankees the media would be hailing it as one of the all time best rotations

Stephen66, SLRokJok and STR8Thugg like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3477968/2022/08/12/caught-looking-eno-sarris-bregman-wood/

It was early July, the Astros were in first place, and Alex Bregman had a gleam in his eye.

“I’m going to hit, like, 20 homers from here on out,” he said with a smile. “Well, at least 20 doubles.”

He’d found something hitting in the cage, and the pulled fly balls were going to come back. Plus, he didn’t have a golf-ball-sized cyst on his wrist anymore, having had that removed in the offseason. Seems like he was right to have that optimism, even if he might ultimately fall short of those lofty goals. Most of his underlying numbers have been on a steady march forward since then.

[​IMG]

He’s hit the ball harder as the season progressed, slugging .456 with three homers and nine doubles since that game against the A’s in July — well on his way to making good on at least half of the promise. But then, a slow erosion of the hard hits, and a bit of a recent slide. The next time the Astros came to town, he wasn’t quite as confident.

“Whenever I spin, it’s a problem,” he said in August. “Just don’t open up, if I don’t open up, if I stay closed I feel like I can hit any pitch they throw me.”

What are the cues he can go through when he’s stuck like this?

“There’s so many cues man, I don’t know man,” he said, the gleam gone from his eye. “Whenever this front hip opens when I go to hit, I’m not good. When my front hip stays closed, I’m real good. I pull off the ball, it’s high-right and low-left, but when I keep it in — it’s high-left low-right — I’m able to hit line drives the other way on any pitch and hit it in the air to the left side.”

Because Bregman has such an excellent eye (only two qualified hitters in baseball swing at fewer pitches outside the zone) and makes contact at an elite rate (only eight qualified hitters have made more contact per pitch), he’s got a high baseline that will always help his team. Overall, in park-adjusted offense, he’s still in the top 50 among his peers.

But it’s the high, hard line drives to left field that gave him his best seasons in 2018 and 2019. The percentage of his balls in play pulled in the air (16 to 24 degrees) and hard (95 mph or more) has dropped over a third from his peak in 2019.

“The last four or five games, I’ve been opening up a touch and I need to get back,” said Bregman. “I just need to drill it into my brain, with some overhand and some cage work.”

There’s always work to do.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Maton and Martinez both made good cases the last few games.

I'm sure options will be a factor.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Concerning Pena. This is pure speculation, but his reputation indicates he is usually ahead of the curve in his baseball maturity. Could he possibly just be ahead and going through his sophomore slump now instead of next year?

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I laughed. That was funny.
    90% likely to be rookie wall
    10% likely the league has a book on him and he will never be able to adjust and fail to be a positive impact player.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Deadball era probably featured plenty.

Edit: 19 times since intergration. Only 3 times in the Wild Card Era (Blake Snell, Jake Arrieta, & Clayton Kershaw).

#1633 juicystream, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even though it was the deadball era, Gibson starting 34 games and having 32 quality starts and a 1.12 ERA was truly impressive. One of his non-quality starts was giving up 4 runs in 11 innings.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There used to be a lot of 20 game winners with 1,2,3 and 4 man rotations.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And how many of them had under a 2.00 ERA as @sealclubber1016 posited?

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Brantley out for the season.

Well ****.

ryan_98 likes this.
  18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

sigh... not ideal

19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

So Mancini gonna play about twice a week, even with Brantley out, just so we can make sure that Dubon and McCormick get their playing time. Coo

ryan_98 and Stephen66 like this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

McCormick kills lefties. That's why all his starts recently have been against RIGHTIES while he's on the bench against LEFTIES.

Wulaw Horn likes this.