1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rangers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 9, 2022.

1. conquistador#11

Are my eyes deceiving me? Mancini in the line up!
    [​IMG]

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Dusty wanting to keep Meyers in AAA longer was likely smart. Though, Meyers seems hurt now. Click not wanting use an option does not excuse Baker from compounding Click's mistake.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Dusty is officially the #1 biggest problem with this team. His lineups have been consistently atrocious all season long. The Astros have the talent (especially after the recent trades), the depth, and one of the best records in MLB. That's great. It's also understandable that the regular season should be treated like a marathon, not a sprint. But still...even great talent can be hamstrung by a mediocre, stubborn manager that can result in the team losing games that were easily winnable. The Phillies recognized that earlier this season with Girardi and got rid of him, and they've been doing pretty well ever since.

Meyers is one thing - I'd prefer he get sent down to the minors for awhile and get healthy and regain confidence in his shoulder and ability. But as long as he's here, may as well play him. Either way he needs to keep playing to overcome his plate struggles.

But Yuli...he needs his playing time cut in HALF. Period. I'm getting annoyed with Dusty on this one. Yuli is a great guy to have on the team, but the man is just old and it really shows in his bat speed, pitch recognition, etc. Honestly I noticed signs of decline in Gurriel last season, despite him winning the batting title. More off-days and rest might be beneficial for Yuli's productivity. Mancini needs to be in the lineup at least 80% of the time from now on.

4. BonziWellsGOAT

Does he consider that it will be a close low scoring game because of fielding trash lineups when JV pitches? He does realize that 2 teams contribute to a low scoring game right?

5. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Omg. This YouTube booth looks like trash. These douchebags aren't even dressed the part. This dude is seriously wearing a Henley T shirt from Target. Real cool guy

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So we actually think alike about this.

I’m not saying Gurriel's issues are not a problem, my point was this is the time to try and get people going, and dusty kind of knows what he has in Mancini.

If Gurriel does not break out, he should be on the bench and Mancini should be the starter.

I think the most ideal scenario is Guriel starting and hitting, and then you have Diaz and Mancini as guys that can matchup depending on pitchers and situations in the playoffs.

7. Clutch City1993

"That's fan stuff"

What a f***ing idiot

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok.

9. BonziWellsGOAT

It feels like he does this stuff to prove a point or something. To spite the fans and media. Idk I try not to b**** too much but Dusty really says some bone headed stuff

htownrox1, King1 and Clutch City1993 like this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You have to hit Yuli second. He thrives here. I know b/c I've been told that by people here. Checks notes- it's not every 1b in the majors who can hit at the top of a lineup and put up a 564 ops. That doesn't happen on its own.

The Beard and Tuckmose like this.
  11. Clutch City1993

I really wanna look at 1B offensive numbers around the league. Would not be surprised if he is in the bottom 10

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It reminds me of when Jeff Fisher was actively working against VY's career b/c he hated him while VY was 31-17 as a starter on a middling team. It's the last time I've truly felt like a manager/coach was truly trying to ruin the career of a professional athlete. Not liking a guy and burying him on the bench? Sure. But this goes beyond that into active sabotage.

13. Clutch City1993

While Yordan sits smh

htownrox1 likes this.
  14. Clutch City1993

His arms sucks though!!!!

Wtf bro

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I heard the conversation. It was even worse than it reads in the tweet. He sounded like a completely and totally out of touch man that has no sense at all of modernity. Which is what you see when you look at his lineups. This really really really needs to be his last season managing this club. Get someone in here with a decent EQ that understands clubhouses dynamics and won't **** up something that works by trying to put his stamp on it- while also not being a numbers hating moron. I'm pretty sure we can find someone that both 1) Isn't a prick and 2) has the slightest bit of intellectually curiosity as to how baseball works now, as opposed to managing like it's 1978. This shouldn't be very hard. If they spoke Spanish that probably wouldn't hurt either.

Stephen66, The Beard and King1 like this.
  16. Clutch City1993

For a team that prides themselves on analytics and constantly praises their modern approach, they are undoing all of that progress with Dusty making these lineups

The Beard and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Simplest explanation is usually the best. This is not part of grand master scheme. He's a crusty old man.

18. HTown2017Champs

Then put him on the IL, check to see what’s wrong with him, and give him some rehab games in AAA.

Wulaw Horn and King1 like this.
  19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly. I don't understand how any fan can support him. He's clueless. Give him a "front office job" before he costs us the WS

20. HeyBudLetsParty

Pretty sure modern analytics suggest you bat your best hitter in the 2 hole. This isn’t incompetence, it’s Alzheimer’s.

King1 likes this.