1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: FBI raiding Mar-a-Lago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 8, 2022.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ultimately, I think DeSantis is the main beneficiary. DeSantis can appeal to the Trumpers by saying all the same things Trump is saying -- that Democrats are "weaponizing" federal agencies to go after political opponents -- but at the same time not shoulder any of the lingering suspicion of guilt or the circus atmosphere that Trump has to carry. Conservatives can turn to DeSantis for the same liberal tears that Trump promised, but not feel as dirty as they would have voting for a p***y grabbing, Two Corinthians quoting, foreign leader blackmailing, coup running ex-president. And they never even have to admit they might have been wrong about any defense they ever mounted for Trump. They can make a martyr of him before he's even dead, saying how they'd have voted for him but the crooked Democrats made sure he won't win re-election, but that DeSantis can take the torch and be their new champion.

The implication I take from the raid is that they were headed for indictments regardless of what they found at Mar-a-Lago, and this raid was for the sake of being comprehensive. They wouldn't want to take the risk of making a raid to get the evidence they needed to indict but then failing to find it and making themselves look like goons or fools. They'll indict for something, and we'll never know if the evidence gathered in this raid made any difference.

My understanding of how warrants work is that they specify what things they are looking for and they only seize what the warrant empowers them to seize. That's not indiscriminate.

One explanation I saw about the timing was that it was slightly over 90 days away from the midterms and they wanted to observe a 90 day window before the election in which to not do politically-charged investigatory work in public that might influence the election. And, like you said, that's the midterms in which Trump isn't even a candidate. It seems to me like they are being very careful to avoid Comey's mistakes.

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

So true now that's what he is doing taking the fifth like it's ok and that the people will not remember.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

LMAO that does seem correct.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

were their homes raided?

cml750 likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Are these the same attorneys that continue to push his 'election was stolen' diatribe?

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Did they keep the documents in their homes?

AleksandarN likes this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Some were, some weren't. (There have been a number of incidents), but many were charged and found or pleaded guilty.

I had a DoD Top Secret clearance. If I left anything classified visible and accessible on my desk, I was informed I could be terminated and potentially charged with a crime. I was also obligated to report anyone who did the same.

I was clearly forbidden to take those documents out of the office. I also couldn't tell my wife where I was going when I went to a classified site. (She knew the city, but nothing more than that)

If it could happen to me and my co-workers, it better damn well happen to everyone.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure. Berger and Petraeus both lied about it, but there wasn't photographic evidence of them having attempted to flush documents down the toilet. But the FBI needed to go where the documents were located.

I know that Trump tried to use a fake address when registering to vote in Florida. Does he even really live there? Neither he nor anyone in his family were there at the time?

But it doesn't really matter. That's where the documents were and where the FBI needed to be.

#469 FranchiseBlade, Aug 10, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sandy Berger was investigated extensively by the FBI and was later prosecuted and pled guilty so "home raided" or not, he was quite publicly pursued by the FBI.

It's a good thing Sandy Berger was held to account and is no longer a figure in the Democratic party.

Also you wanting to discuss Sandy Berger as an example is really quite interesting, and speaks to a lack of common sense vs pure emotional political reaction. Had Trump simply obeyed the law and cooperated, it's likely that A. There would have been no raid, and B. The worst he would have seen with an admission of guilt is a fine most likely.

But now you have the theatrics of Trump acting above the law, and not obeying law enforcement which leads to the FBI having to break in his home. Had Trump admitted he screwed up, and paid a fine (if the National Archives even decided to do so) this would be overwith. For someone who apparently is in love with Trump, I don't know why you cannot just sit back for 2 seconds and say... "sh$t Donny... stop shooting yourself in the foot."

If you want this guy to be successful in 2024, and rule America in the way I'm sure you want him to rule as President for life with no accountability after replacing the federal government with a monarchy, I don't understand why his fans like yourself just sit back and watch him shoot himself in the foot over and over again.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump is a traitor - and should be tried as one.

DD

edwardc and Ziggy like this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

flailing.

Ziggy likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

These two have a lot in common

[​IMG]

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and DonnyMost like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

jiggyfly, ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Live look at how the FBI got Eric to rat on his father.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow! The Conspiracy Woman at work for her Master. QAnon kook and coup instigator Margorie actually gets paid to do absolutely nothing of value. Let that sink into your heads Georgians. Vote her out!

quikkag likes this.
  17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I like this response to the kook.

18. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Yeah because the judge who signed the warrant is in it to. The judge in it for the political win. Seriously man just listen to yourself

edwardc and ROCKSS like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

The cult is real.

edwardc, AleksandarN and ROCKSS like this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

It’s just crazy that people still think everyone is against this one crook. Look at his allies then look in the mirror.

ROCKSS and AleksandarN like this.