1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: FBI raiding Mar-a-Lago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by larsv8, Aug 8, 2022.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I doubt they find a smoking gun. Trump doesn't seem like the sort of person who'd just hold on to incriminating evidence for no good reason. He has plenty of toilets in his home.

They might have good evidence from elsewhere that he did something very wrong, and illegally took documents that would show this. Whether they actually find the smoking gun or not, if they have good cause to search for it then I think it's justified. Should we just take it for granted that the FBI has this good cause? Perhaps not. But as has been noted, Garland has a reputation for being very cautious and the FBI director is himself a Trump appointee.

In any case, I would hope some explanation or rationale for the raid is provided to the public, since this is a pretty consequential decision regardless of what they find.

Astrodome and Andre0087 like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

looks like some of the time he didn't overload it

223524.jpg

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The federal police come in and indiscriminately seize the property of the regime's chief political opponent, and offer no explanation as to why, and people wonder why there might be outrage? After they already did this to Trump with falsified FISA warrants? The feds have been trying to take down Trump ever since he announced his campaign in 2015 ("give me a man and I will find the crime").

Now the feds are seizing phones of Congressmen who oppose the regime. They aren't even ashamed of it any more, and feel no need to offer an explanation.

The secrecy is deliberate.

They can selectively leak things, even untrue things that will get dutifully regurgitated in the WaPo/NYT in their "anonymous sources familiar with the investigation" stories.

The secrecy also allows for wild speculation about what evidence they might have. Let people's minds run wild.

It's a carbon copy of the Mueller investigation playbook.

4. cdastros

cdastros Member

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The FBI definitely does not have a perfect track record. At the same time I don't think the FBI under a director appointed by Trump is simply out to get Trump just because they don't like him. I don't have any idea what their position towards Trump would be. I don't think they are stereotypically radical leftists in the FBI.

We have an ex-president who has lied about documents, evidence shows he's tried to destroy documents, testimony points to him trying to destroy documents, has shown that he has little knowledge or regard for laws, procedures, regulations, etc. All of that points to a need to get documents out and quickly before they were destroyed.

It may or may not have anything to do with Jan. 6th. It doesn't matter. There is a reason the DOJ would go for a search warrant rather than a subpoena for the records. From what I understand, they usually do that kind of thing when the person they are trying to retrieve documents from isn't trustworthy and/or has tried to destroy documents previously. Trump checks both of those boxes.

It just makes sense that this was above board, not a fishing trip, nor a political witch hunt. None of that is as fun and sexy as the big bad government trying to persecute political enemies, but it does make more sense.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The secrecy isn't from the FBI or DOJ. That is standard operating procedure. Trump, and the Congressmen, and his attorneys are all free to share the warrant and affidavits. They have them and can release them if they would like. They are the ones keeping it secret for the time being.

However, I'm sure Freedom of Information Act requests have already gone out and we will find out what was in the paperwork soon enough.

You yourself could make a FOIA request. Nothing is stopping you.

jo mama and Xopher like this.
  7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

"The FBI moved on him like a b****. When you have probable cause they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the evidence." - Source unknow but funny as hell.

The QCult is losing their shite and I'm here for it.

lpbman, AleksandarN, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  8. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

James Comey, then head of the FBI, publicly announced he was re-opening the Hillary email investigation two weeks before the 2016 election with little detail as to why only to a week later quietly announced they found nothing of note, and we're just now trying to pretend that the FBI is affecting presidential elections by executing a search warrant on a private citizen who is not currently running for anything (announced, at least) two and a half years away from the next presidential election

uh-huh

jo mama, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We still don't know anything (other than that Trump could release the search warrant at any moment, but the secrecy benefits him politically) and the void has been filled by people eager to pound their own narrative in the absence of facts.

What I will say, however, is that's striking how much Trump destroyed the perception of an independent DOJ among his supporters. He never understood that the attorney general was not his AG, i.e. a Roy Cohn who would do his dirty work for him and ignore the law, and spent years delegitimizing the idea of an independent AG for his followers. Because of how they now think the DOJ should operate (loyal to the executive, not the law), they assume that President Biden is behind this when, in fact, he learned about it like the rest of us. This is how the DOJ has operated for all of American history and how it should continue to work.

This is all indicative of the can of worms Trump supporters want to open that they don't fully understand. Empowering the president to deploy the DOJ as a political cudgel is a bad idea. Placing private citizens, including ex-presidents, above the law is a bad idea. However, they want to do this all in the service of a 76-year-old ego that won't be around forever. Someday there will be a younger, smarter and more conniving president who will take advantage of everything they want for Trump and Trump only. That president may not be on their "side" and they'll never understand that they opened this door.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trumps probably marking up the warrant with his sharpie.

11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

If I ever break a law and it's enforced on me I'm going to just declare I'm running for president as a Republican, even if the next presidential election is years away, because then I'll have tons of people rushing to my aid saying it's just a political attack. It's the perfect plan

12. cdastros

cdastros Member

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen enough FBI investigations to know that they don't release all the information until their suspect is caught or ruled out. It's not like Trump's case should be any different. This is no different than any other search warrant other than the fact that it involves an impeached President that incited a coup.

Ottomaton and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what pill it is, the cult swallows everything as long as it has invoked the holy spirit trump.

trump- now go and march on my people for I have built a most beautiful toll bridge for you to cross thy swamp
    [​IMG]
    I should have edited it to put red hats on them.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHH now he is caught he is trying to PLANT THE SEED that they PLANTED evidence....

**** TRUMP !!

DD

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

You’ve inspired me to go loiter.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Rumor: illegal hash oil vape carts found in Trump safe... does this open the door for felony drug charges?

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

She getting up there with Tucker and punchable faces...yea I'm equal opportunity on that.

Where's Sean Connery when you need him?

cdastros, jiggyfly and Blatz like this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Rep. Scott Perry says his cellphone was seized by FBI

South-central Pennsylvania Congressman Scott Perry (R-10) told NBC News that the FBI seized his cellphone Tuesday.

Perry said in a statement that he was approached by FBI agents who handed him a warrant and asked for the phone.

Rep. Scott Perry statement
    "This morning, while traveling with my family, 3 FBI agents visited me and seized my cell phone. They made no attempt to contact my lawyer, who would have made arrangements for them to have my phone if that was their wish," Perry said in the statement. "I'm outraged — though not surprised — that the FBI under the direction of Merrick Garland’s DOJ, would seize the phone of a sitting Member of Congress. My phone contains info about my legislative and political activities, and personal/private discussions with my wife, family, constituents, and friends. None of this is the government's business."

The confiscation of the cellphone came the day after the FBI searched former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida.

Perry went on to say that, "as with President Trump last night, DOJ chose this unnecessary and aggressive action instead of simply contacting my attorneys. These kinds of banana republic tactics should concern every Citizen — especially considering the decision before Congress this week to hire 87,000 new IRS agents to further persecute law-abiding Citizens."

WGAL has reached out to Perry's office for confirmation or comment, but we have yet to hear back.

Perry has been mentioned during hearings about the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

It has been alleged that he sought a presidential pardon, which he has denied.

According to testimony, Perry also urged Trump to continue fighting election results.

deb4rockets and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. marky :)

marky :) Member